Club Arnage
September 24, 2024, 11:15:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid wild animals!  (Read 5861 times)
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:43:14 am »

Little daughter is now at Birmingham Uni. She had tickets to see Ross Noble at the Hexagon Reading tonight (I was jealous!) so she got the train down, and I've just returned from taking her back.

Well I've been enjoying immensely the 3.2 Vectra which recently replaced the Omega, and I was trying for a record time for the round trip - which was going pretty well, I have to say.

So I'm haring down the A34 towards the M4, just coming up behind a lorry, and there is this goat-like creature standing right across the outside lane, looking at me. Suffice to say, I doubt he'll ever be looking at much else - I hit him pretty damn hard (90+mph)

I pulled over into a dark layby and damage didn't seem too bad - loose bumper, power steering fluid all gone, missing foglight etc - and did the rest of the journey at a more sedate 70 mph (still managing 3h 40m for a trip from home, to Reading centre, to Birmingham centre and back)

Just had a look at the car in the limited light outside my house - what a mess! Bits of fur stuck in crevices, wires and pipes hanging down underneath, and bent plastic and metal.

I suppose I really should count myself lucky in a number of ways - still here, damage not that serious and fully insured, airbag didn't go off - but why oh why do stupid animals just watch a pair of lights approaching them at speed instead of moving out of the way??
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 04:56:51 am »

Hi Smokie,
                Count your self lucky to have survived.
 In Canada ... the deer you take home while the tow truck takes the car to be repaired. Moose they take both the car and the driver to the morgue.

Canada Phil
gab
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 07:00:13 am »

..."goat-like creature "...

wtf? perhaps it was a unicorn Smokie... Grin were you drinking?
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 07:55:52 am »

Damn, sorry to hear about that, Smokie. However, you should count yourself lucky that nothing worse happened and you still managed to get home.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 08:43:10 am »

I hit him pretty damn hard (90+mph)

Umm .... isn't the national speed limit still 70 mph?  police

Since Smokie is unharmed, my sympathies are with the goat like creature and its family.    Cry

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 08:45:02 am by Fran » Logged
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 09:12:04 am »

That sucks, especially in a shiny new car.  When it's unavoidable, I suppose it takes some of the guilt out of it.  Glad you're alright.

I hit an extraordinarily large Raccoon at about 75mph in my Golf last year, resulting in $1,800 worth of damage and a week in the shop.  It left the scene on a flatbed trailer.  The Raccoon did not.  Grin

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 09:15:22 am by chop456 » Logged

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 09:17:47 am »

did it look this BRFORE you killed the poor wee beastie

* muntjac.gif (38.82 KB, 400x355 - viewed 314 times.)
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 10:38:46 am »

I hope the beast is now in your freezer.

Ingredients

two venison haunch steaks
1 leek
Butter
Oil
Notes

Pan Fry, grill, or barbeque Venison Steak with leek julienne

Preparation Time: 0 Hours & 10 Mins

Cooking Time: 0 Hours & 15 Mins

Cut a leek lengthways into thin strips, wash and pat dry.

Pan fry half the leek in equal amounts of butter and oil until brown and crispy. drain on kitchen paper.

Take the other half of our leek and cook with butter in a saucepan with the lid on till soft.

Pan Fry, grill, or barbeque two venison haunch steaks to your preferred state of cookedness.

We recommend rare to medium rare as the lack of fat in venison means it toughens if you overcook it.

Let the meat rest for five minutes before carving slivers off the steak.

Serving Suggestion

Place the slivers of venison on the green leeks and then sprinkle the crispy leeks on top.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 10:53:11 am »

Muntjacs are vermin - listen to The Archers!

Glad to hear all is well Smokes, hopefully all your parts are still functioning.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 11:24:53 am »

Bad Luck Smokie, when I was 18 I hit a Goat in my Mk1 Cortina, he suddenly appeared out of St Pauls Church gate, I think it was actually a Devil incarnate that was been driven out of the Hallowed ground. Neither Goat or Vehicle survived, I had to sue the Vicar for the damage to my car - Claim for Vehicle repairs = £198, Counter claim (from Vicar) value of Goat £40, loss of Goats milk, 2 pints /day for x days at x value = £192. Needless to say it was quite an amusing court session and I got paid

We were at The Hexagon last night to see Ross Noble, your daughter didn’t have a flashing Tiara on did she?
He was very good in the first half, totally random lines, very funny, we though the woman with the exploding virgina and the Bum faced child lines went on a bit in the second half though.

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 02:24:51 pm »

...your daughter didn’t have a flashing Tiara on did she?

Cool Cool Not by the time I picked her up... wouldn't fit with the Goth image...
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 02:31:58 pm »

Sorry to hear that Smokie, but glad that you are OK.

My neighbor hit a wild boar whilst driving home through France a few years ago. His car (A Merc 450) was totalled, he escaped OK, but his wife was in hospital for several weeks.

He still refuses to eat Pork  Grin
rcutler
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 02:43:51 pm »

I would make a point of eating it, then atleast there would be less of the blighters in this world!
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 03:09:35 pm »

I would make a point of eating it, then atleast there would be less of the blighters in this world!

Whilst I am of the same opinion as yourself, if you had seen the mess which was left by that pig, and the mess his wife was in, I can fully understand his unwillingness to consume said beasties.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 12:23:53 pm »

One of the nastiest to hit is a porcupine, hit the critters at speed and the quills can go through metal. Happened to a friend of my brothers.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: