Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 05:23:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youngs Brewery R.I.P  (Read 12392 times)
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 10:24:45 pm »

very fond memories of brewing day, what a stink, what great beer, not sure, but I seem to remember a passport system, whereby you visited all Youngs Hostelleries and have you passport stamped the net result was a certificate, never did get round to all of them, it was fun trying though.
From distant memory you got a 'passport andhad to get it stamped in all Young's pubs within a certain time (one month?) and you were then awarded a tie, other paraphinalia and ......a barrel of Youngs! I must admit that realism/cowardice took over and I never undertook the task!

Did any CA members?

I am sure that they would have fond memories (!)
 Grin
Bionic

the mob i was working with at the time we were based near smithfield market, one brave chap had a stab at it, are you sure it was just a month?  we were fond of a few sherbets at the time but even so it would be pushing it.
Bionic Tarquin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 10:32:58 pm »

very fond memories of brewing day, what a stink, what great beer, not sure, but I seem to remember a passport system, whereby you visited all Youngs Hostelleries and have you passport stamped the net result was a certificate, never did get round to all of them, it was fun trying though.
From distant memory you got a 'passport andhad to get it stamped in all Young's pubs within a certain time (one month?) and you were then awarded a tie, other paraphinalia and ......a barrel of Youngs! I must admit that realism/cowardice took over and I never undertook the task!

Did any CA members?

Grin
Bionic

the mob i was working with at the time we were based near smithfield market, one brave chap had a stab at it, are you sure it was just a month?  we were fond of a few sherbets at the time but even so it would be pushing it.

Could have been longer, but I seem to recall that none of the crew that I was partook of refreshment with had the nerve to try......., and these were those who would think nothing of 'defrosting' their vehicles standing on the bonnets! (then being the passengers!)

Shocked
Bionic
Bionic Tarquin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 10:35:51 pm »

Seem to have partaken again tonight (or so the computer would say!). My last posting seems to leave something to the imagination......
Had a pint of Youngs on the way home.....could be the last...

Cry
Bionic
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 10:52:25 pm »

usual excuse on here is to blame it on the voices, it seems to work most of the time.
Bionic Tarquin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 10:56:39 pm »

usual excuse on here is to blame it on the voices, it seems to work most of the time.
They always seem to say "Just one more, just one more!"

Sometimes you just have to give in! Grin

Bionic
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 05:47:43 pm »

Did any CA members?

Grin
Bionic

Bionic

Gales did a similar thing about 20 years back. Never made it round the whole lot but got the T-shirt for visiting 50+

Granny

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Bionic Tarquin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 08:13:04 pm »

Did any CA members?

Grin
Bionic

Bionic

Gales did a similar thing about 20 years back. Never made it round the whole lot but got the T-shirt for visiting 50+

Granny

How many times did you overdo things in the attempt?
Now with clearer memory a couple of colleagues started the Youngs round but overrefreshed in the first few so decided that the wallets would take too much of a bashing.........

How's the South without Gales, or are gales forecast?

Bionic
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 09:10:35 pm »

From distant memory you got a 'passport and had to get it stamped in all Young's pubs within a certain time (one month?) and you were then awarded a tie, other paraphernalia and ......a barrel of Youngs! I must admit that realism/cowardice took over and I never undertook the task!

Did any CA members?

Grin
Bionic

Bionic

Granny

How many times did you overdo things in the attempt?
Now with clearer memory a couple of colleagues started the Youngs round but over-refreshed in the first few so decided that the wallets would take too much of a bashing.........

How's the South without Gales, or are gales forecast?

Bionic

I remember one bash during a summer long ago which was held at an architects practice, once all the drink had gone we disappeared over too The Lamb and Flag in Covent Garden, just a couple for the road. I can recall waiting for the train home at Kings Cross it was still daylight, at Mill Hill where i lived at the time it was the last train and the early hours of the morning, where i had been in between times god only knows.  Fortunately the girlfriend was very understanding and found me walking along Mill Hill High St and got me home safe.
Simes
CA Veteran

194.7bhp mmmm..

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 10:58:28 pm »

Double Diamond is still on sale at our local community centre. It's the only place that I have seen it for years.

If I remember right it was awful stuff so what they are still selling is probably left overs from the 70s

I bought a bottle of DD in 1989 from a pub when I was 16 for a laugh, I ended up not drinking it and keeping it as it was already 8 months past it's sell by date.
I found it the other day in a box of junk!

Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 11:08:43 pm »

Talking of the dead, what happened to the evil dead, Double Diamond, LongLife, Worthington E or that filth Red Barrell. They weren't brewed for that length of time but they tasted as if they had been. Gruesome.

Rusty

Ahh, Rusty, you've stirred some memories there.

I remember Double Diamond Party 7's and the less prolific Party 4.

The cans were made from what felt like quater inch plate. None of this modern day namby pamby aluminium alloy!

I can recall empty (and sometimes not so empty) Party 7's being hurled at the stage at Reading Rock (as it was called then).

I think I was 12, it was 1978 and Motorhead were on stage.

Ah, good ol' Double Diamond.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2006, 12:31:52 am »

"A Double Diamond works wonders works wonders works wonders
A Double Diamond works wonders so drink one today"
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2006, 12:34:02 am »

Ohhh!

Nostalgia!

I think we forgot McEwans Export, in all the excitement.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Bionic Tarquin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2006, 09:08:03 am »

The memories of the 'Party Sevens'!......... Don't you remember when you were going to a 'less popular' venue that the can would be shaken, not stirred, to ensure that when opened in the kitchen 5 out of the seven pints would spend the next two hours dripping onto peoples heads......
I know it was peurile but I was younger then!

Grin

When hosting parties the dreaded 'sevens' were always taken outside to be dealt with.......It always surprised me why so many were sold since you only ever seened to be able to drink two pints out of every seven!...Good marketing ploy I suppose!

Cool

Bionic
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 10:04:09 am »

When hosting parties the dreaded 'sevens' were always taken outside to be dealt with.......It always surprised me why so many were sold since you only ever seened to be able to drink two pints out of every seven!...Good marketing ploy I suppose!

Cool

Bionic

Do you also remember that no-one ever had a can opener, so you had to try and make a hole with a screwdriver or some similar object!
Trouble was the hole was so small it Took ages to pour it out.

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2006, 10:12:24 am »

Yes those little metal can openers would guarantee everyone a soaking of warm beer, the worst thing was to be timid with it and just punch a small hole as this would just vaporise the whole lot into a fine mist. I remember one bright spark opening one with a screwdriver and hammer when no can opener could be found, the resultant geezer soaked absolutely everything leaving no more than a couple of pints,everything else was left swilling around the kitchen floor when it tipped over whilst jettisoning its contents. Perhaps thats why they were so cheap as the resulting shinkage still made them good value for money.
Rusty

The Brethren Rock
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: