Club Arnage
June 28, 2024, 03:23:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enough with the kiddie crap already!  (Read 9821 times)
Fax
« on: September 22, 2006, 08:11:58 am »

Call me a grumpy old f*&*er, but enough with the "what car do you think is cool, who do you think will win" garbage!
Jesus H Christ! How many mindless school boy threads do we need?  Lets get back to calling each other names, sniping over the how pathetic big hillbilly US thumpers are vs flashy Euro hairdresser mobiles, and what c**nts Senna & Schu-boy are.
Viper Boy? Give it up! It was a cool car ten years ago! Its dinosaur pooh now.
Yeesh!
Fax
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 08:27:39 am by Fax » Logged
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:11:32 am »

I concur Grin

oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 09:40:09 am »

I pretty much agree too - though I wonder whether there may be somewhere within the CA site where a 'juniour' forum could be set-up... we shouldn't behave in a way that might encourage the next generation of sports-car fans to turn their backs on the sport because they have been made to feel unwelcome by the old gits like you and I who patronise this particualr forum.

As I said in another thread, I have no idea whether this is a feasible option or not as I do not profess to know how one would create such a thing but some of the more technical minded among our number could probably say..?
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:52:25 am »

Yes, new discussion boards can be added to this forum.

However, I'm a bit reticent as I can imagine a whole load of petty nonsense going on in there (and not from the junior members) that will require more moderation from myself and the Smoking One.  police

Steve East Anglian cobras

Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 10:01:36 am »

Yes, the 'quality' of the topics isn't really that exciting. On the other hand I barely open a topic on this forum, so who am I to judge that. My objection would be that the 'normal' topics dissapear to page two very rapidly...

For the rest, I let Steve and Smokie be the judge on this. It's part of their 'job'.

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24 • NBR LMS • Silverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 10:06:15 am »

Thanks Paddy
To keep the interesting topics on page one, people need to continue posting in them - to continue lively and interesting debate.
If the 'uninspiring' topics are not viewed and not posted to, they will quickly disappear down the toilet that is page 2.

(now where's that Girls Girls Girls topic?)  Wink

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 10:11:39 am »

... My objection would be that the 'normal' topics dissapear to page two very rapidly...

As an aside, the number of diplayed threads / topics per page can be changed from the current 20.
If increased, it would mean a bit more keyboard activity.

Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 10:12:21 am »

I dont see the issue, most postings are of an acceptable nature to be posted and accessed on the www. with out causing offense (some extream posts are the exception though(but mostly down to the passion of their motorsport), but then they get moderated directly or indirectly by the feed back). Many take their kids and wives to races for them mix with the forum members directly so where the difference, just because its via a keyboard doesnt mean we fall into foul mouth abuse to each other, if we did CA would last about 2 weeks.
A jounior thread might be good but like Steve says somebody needs to put more time than they've got to moderate it.
If you dont want to reply to a youngster then dont or just ignor their replies YOU GRUMPY GITS.
(you havent spotted the windup value from Viper kid then).
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 10:54:09 am »

Never thought it would happen  Grin but I 100% agree with...............Fax. Sorry to be such a grump.

Did someone mention Senna?
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 11:00:43 am »

I think a "yooff" section of CA would be a good idea, sort of Creche Arnage Cheesy
Perhaps a CA Hoody for next years race?
A Radio Le Mans drum and Bass album.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 11:16:29 am »

Yes, new discussion boards can be added to this forum.

However, I'm a bit reticent as I can imagine a whole load of petty nonsense going on in there (and not from the junior members) that will require more moderation from myself and the Smoking One.  police

Steve I understand and expected your reticence.  I was thinking though of an area where the likes of Viper Boy could post  the sorts of topics that would appeal to other younger site users rather than simply creating a discussion board for petty nonsense.

Like Monkey I do not find myself agreeing with Fax very often Grin but on this one I do.

But let us not discourage younger users.  Is there not an area of the forum they could go straight to so that the grumpies don't have to filter through the sorts of topics/threads that really are not going to interest us?

If an area were to be found for and used by younger site visitors I am not sure whether it would increase the level of moderation required... without a 'junior' area the posts would still be made wouldn't they?
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 11:39:26 am »

But let us not discourage younger users. 
Absolutely agree on that.

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24 • NBR LMS • Silverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 11:39:50 am »

I think a "yooff" section of CA would be a good idea, sort of Creche Arnage Cheesy
Perhaps a CA Hoody for next years race?
A Radio Le Mans drum and Bass album.

Grin Grin Grin

My feeling is that 1) there are not enough youngsters to warrant their own forum 2) moderating could be a real pain 3) we only get visits when they have time on their hands (viper900 is safely back in school today) 4) if they just wanted to chat with other kids then there are better places 5) we should cut them some slack as actually some are quite knowledgable (well, comparesd to me anyway!!), or want to become so.

Just FYI I did PM viper yesterday to suggest some restraint. I would suggest that this is the best method. If anyone, young or old, doesn't want to play by our rules then I now have vast experience of the Ban User button, and I'm not afraid to use it! But that would be harsh one someone like viper. He still in his learning curve...irritating though it may be to some of us.

While I'm nattering - thanks to those who continue to report Spammers, we are dealing with them as quickly as we can. I'd point out that it's a waste of breath replying to their posts as they almost undoubtedly use auto-posters and don't ever come back to see what they've stirred up...
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 11:57:31 am »

I must say that once Viper went to bed the forum was pretty much dead for the rest of the night.  Fair play to the lil fella for livening up the winter months.

F
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 12:30:10 pm »

just wait for half term Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: