Club Arnage
September 24, 2024, 11:26:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raymond Baxter  (Read 4992 times)
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2006, 12:25:44 am »

Another legend has sadly died.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2006/09/16/db1601.xml

He carried out a low level attack on the V2 headquarters in the Shell Mex buildings in Holland narrowly missing a church spire.
http://www.studio88.co.uk/acatalog/Images/SSD-80-l.JPG

A commentator who knew it was better to leave a space than fill it with drivel.

A good quote was from the 73 GP at Silverstone as Jackie Stewart dived for the inside of Ronnie Peterson at Stowe, only to overcook it an carve his way through the corn to rejoin the track.
"Jackie Stewart didn't make it and now he's really in the agricultural buisness!"

Another one.
I was working on a programme idea, that got stolen, ruined and became "Extreme Machines" on Discovery (swines!). Anyway a phone call to Beaulieu, and one to Ray, and a promo shoot is organised.

We arrive, set up camera in front of the land speed display. I have taken two days to write and research the script. Ray arrives, camera and sound ask to do a quick take for levels and to set up Ray's walk through the cars. "action!" is called, and Ray strolls through the cars, quoting drivers dates, speed (to two decimal places), ends up bang on his mark, and "cut" is called. No need for a re take, one hit, done and dusted. Me? AFTER I got the script out of my briefcase, as Ray hadn't even seen it, I threw it the in the bin!!! On the way back went to film Steve Curtiss, 30 seconds of footage, 17 takes!!!!!!!!!! I rest my case.

His last commentary was from the Goodwood revival, describing the Ray Hannah memorial display. He was taken in to hospital the next day. Passing away on the 15th September, Battle of Britain day.

Thanks for the memories Raymond and my interest in all things technical due to your Tommorows World programs.

Raymond Baxter rest in peace.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 12:56:29 am »

I recall that I preferred him to Murray Walker - more authority but less enthusiasm.  And I'll never forget "Tomorrows World"

He is also the only Pilot to have taken pot shots at a V2.  It just appeared in front of him so he pressed the button.

On a slightly different note, I see that Peter Brock is to have a state funeral in Australia

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
championaudi
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 08:08:21 pm »

just so happens to be half way though his book TALES OF MY TIME he wrote with tony dron,always admired his knowledge ,understood what he was talking about,how to deliver information with a sense of respect ,and bloody proud of british engineering at its best!
After reading it, would recommed it to all
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 08:57:29 pm »

An unassuming legend who was respected for his actions, a sad passing of an era.
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 10:37:35 pm »

What a sad coincidence to pass away on B.o.B day.

He was so good at broadcasting he made me feel that his programmes were just for me. Always felt more of a friend than a "personality".

I'll miss him, a real hero.

RIP

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:29:35 am »

Rip to a good fellow.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 09:53:04 am »

Cars and aeroplanes covered with knowledge, authority, gravitas and humour from personal experience - and without the need for any swear words for effect.   Wartime Spitfire pilot, Monte carlo rally entrant, long-time commentator on motorsport and the Farnborough Air shows and a gentleman to boot.   There have been very few in the TV world with those sort of honest credentials to inspire people.   

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
paultarsey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 09:53:22 am »

For me, Raymond Baxter will always be the voice which first got me into Le Mans.  I was incarcerated in a boarding school in Bristol and would sneak a transistor radio into dormitory to listen to his two-minute reports from Le Mans after the news on radio 2 throughout the night.
I can still feel the the buzz of excitement when the newsreader would say "The Le Mans 24 hour race has now been running for the last eight hours and our commentator Raymond Baxter is there."  Then the sonorous tones of the absolute master of the English language would paint a perfect picture of the scene, the race and how it was unfolding.  No breathless interviews, no superlatives, just the finest broadcasting.
An absolute and complete master of his craft.  
DickieAttwood
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 10:34:52 pm »

Tribute to Raymond Baxter - Thursday 12th Oct 1930hrs BBC2

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money. The sh1t has hit the fan.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 11:36:01 am »

Thanks Dickie, a must see.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 09:08:07 pm »

Tribute to Raymond Baxter - Thursday 12th Oct 1930hrs BBC2

Thanks for that spot.   What a good programme it was too.  Brought back many good memories of Raymond Baxter and all the he brought to us, both recent and old, plus the odd lump in the throat Sad , seeing the Spitfire flypast in memory of Ray Hanna at the Goodwood Revival, and the last flight of Concorde with Raymond's voice and Elgar's Nimrod.   A nice reminder about lots of good stuff  Grin

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 09:22:51 pm »

Just caught the end of this very good, very moving.  I liked the quote that he "knew when to speak and when to keep quiet and let the pictures talk" .  How many times do we shout this at the TV these days.....silence sometimes says all that needs to be said.  A great man and a life lived well
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 11:43:50 pm »

And they even showed the clip of Jackie Stewart going through the crop field with the line "now he really is in the agricultural buisness"

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 12:13:59 am »

Good television. Entirely right for a great televisor!

Great even at the end of his days.

They really don't seem to make 'em like him any more.

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: