Club Arnage
October 03, 2024, 04:41:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JCB & Jaguar  (Read 7082 times)
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2006, 05:04:30 pm »

JCB seem to be intersted in buying Jaguar if ford sells it, see the following

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1857844,00.html

So does that mean, JCB would be soon seen on the back of Jags, and does that mean JCB could stand for Jagaur Car Buisness.

With there record breaking diesel car, could that mean, JCB/Jaguar could be at Le Mans with a great diesel entry?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
paultarsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 06:09:38 pm »

It seems to me that the whole story is a load of hydraulics!
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 09:03:52 am »

Having a tractor maker as an owner never hurt Aston Martin!

The Bamford family have very strong links to motorsport owning a large collection of classic racer's as well as supporting quite a few teams and drivers so a return to Le Mans would be a possibility.

Lambo have fairly humble orgins as well.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 01:48:15 pm »

Having a tractor maker as an owner never hurt Aston Martin!

No agreed, but it certainly hurt the tractor maker, David Brown had to sell out to CASE.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 02:17:29 pm »

Come to think about it, Aston under DB's guidance did'nt flourish for very long either before falling into the clutches of a variety of chancers and ner' do wells.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 03:55:40 pm »

Chancers and ne'er do wells indeed Nordic, except for the late great Victor Gauntlett, who it has to be said pretty much saved the day single-handedly.

Co-incidentally, wasn't one of the Bamford (JCB) family a founding director of Aston Martin?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 04:45:07 pm »

Chancers and ne'er do wells indeed Nordic, except for the late great Victor Gauntlett, who it has to be said pretty much saved the day single-handedly.

Co-incidentally, wasn't one of the Bamford (JCB) family a founding director of Aston Martin?

The company was registered in 1913 and originally named after its two founders, Bamford and Martin. Whether he was part of the JCB Bamford’s I am not 100% sure, but I think it has to be likely
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 06:39:04 pm »

There is nothing on the JCB web page about any connection between Joseph Bamford, the founder of JCB, and the Bamford who is being linked to Bamford and Martin.

But it is possible. He started JCB in 45 from a garage so it seems possible.

Ahh the late great Mr Gautlett, I think he had a partner with a Greek sounding name and between them they did pull it all together for a while. Even found the money for the Nimrod Grp C car that nearly did so well and started the later AMR/RMR cars as well I think before Ford canned it.

The nimrod was a lovely sounding car, and in the silver and green looked good as well. However it was never going to match the Porsche 956.

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 06:53:49 pm »

There is nothing on the JCB web page about any connection between Joseph Bamford, the founder of JCB, and the Bamford who is being linked to Bamford and Martin.

But it is possible. He started JCB in 45 from a garage so it seems possible.

Ahh the late great Mr Gautlett, I think he had a partner with a Greek sounding name and between them they did pull it all together for a while. Even found the money for the Nimrod Grp C car that nearly did so well and started the later AMR/RMR cars as well I think before Ford canned it.

The nimrod was a lovely sounding car, and in the silver and green looked good as well. However it was never going to match the Porsche 956.

Spot on sound wise Nordic it was indeed beautiful, I saw it and heard it in 1985 I think it was and I think they actually led the race for a very short period during the first hour as a result of some clever early pit stops Grin
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 11:30:06 pm »

Spot on sound wise Nordic it was indeed beautiful, I saw it and heard it in 1985 I think it was and I think they actually led the race for a very short period during the first hour as a result of some clever early pit stops Grin

The Nimrods ran earlier than that, in fact they ceased production in 1983, and last raced at La Sarthe with a fiery exit on Mulsanne in '84 (one car hitting the other which was already on fire).

In '85, the EMKA Astons were running, and it was one of these (No 66 - Dow Corning) that led the race for a stunning 9 minutes due to a clever re-fuelling strategy.  It eventually finished 11th that year, and was driven by Steve O'Rourke, Nick Faure & Tiff Needell, the same line up as raced the first EMKA car in '83 (they didn't race in '84)

EMKA

Nimrod

Ahh the late great Mr Gautlett, I think he had a partner with a Greek sounding name and between them they did pull it all together for a while.

Mr Gauntlet's partner was a Mr Robin Hamilton - don't know his nationality, but I don't think it was Greek!!

Del
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:41:09 pm by DelBoy » Logged

Team Delboy Racing
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:21 am »

Mr Gauntlet's partner was a Mr Robin Hamilton - don't know his nationality, but I don't think it was Greek!!

Del

Hamilton was the main moving force behind the Nimrod, Gauntlet (and others) where partners and it was independent, at first, from the works.

His main partner in Aston Martin was a shipping magnet named Livanos

His colouful life is recounted here.

http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~climengs/mvgauntlett/mvgauntlett.htm

I think we could do with a few more people like him.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:27:14 am by Nordic » Logged

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 09:59:26 am »

The company was registered in 1913 and originally named after its two founders, Bamford and Martin. Whether he was part of the JCB Bamford’s I am not 100% sure, but I think it has to be likely

The date is right, but as I understand it the Aston Martin company name came from a combination of its founder, Lionel Martin, and the name of the village in Buckinghamshire, Aston Clinton, where he competed in hillclimbs with the first car that he built.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 10:05:55 am »

The founder of JCB, Joseph Cyril, was born around 1913 and had no connection with motor sports when he set up the company so the connection is unlikely.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 10:12:13 am »

the Aston Martin company name came from a combination of its founder, Lionel Martin, and the name of the village in Buckinghamshire, Aston Clinton

I knew it, I just knew it!! That old Clinton Lionel rusting away at the back of my garage must be worth a fortune now.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 10:20:00 am »

The date is right, but as I understand it the Aston Martin company name came from a combination of its founder, Lionel Martin, and the name of the village in Buckinghamshire, Aston Clinton, where he competed in hillclimbs with the first car that he built.

MG Mark

MG, I think (but only think) that is not quite right, but nearly is. My understanding is that the Aston part of the name came from the fact that the hill climb hill was called Aston hill and can in fact be found just outside the village of Wendover. I dare say however the hill itself was named after Aston Clinton which is about four/five miles away.  Wink Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: