Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 01:19:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This newbie is really an old git!  (Read 14445 times)
paultarsey

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:01:03 pm »

Hi there;
Just a note to say hello to everyone on CA.  I've never been one for 'joining' things but this forum looks too good to miss.  This year's Le Mans was my 28th consecutive visit (so I think I qualify as an old git).  My first time was the Whittington Brothers 935 year when Paul Newman came second.  I've done most of the different ways; camping, motorhome, hotel gite and sleeping in the car.  Still can't make up my mind which is best!
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 12:26:13 pm »

Welcome.. nothing wrong with being an old git Wink

this is a cracking forum and I hope you enjoy it Smiley

Andy Grin

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:27:54 pm »

Welcome.  There's plenty of gits on this forum, some young, some old.  But we all got the same common take on Le Mans, Commers, beer and life in general.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 12:56:00 pm »

Welcome.  28 consecutive eh?, very impressive.  I'm sure you will enjoy the forum, it helps with keeping ones sanity over the Winter months.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
paultarsey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 01:07:16 pm »

Although it is 28 on the trot it actually started before that.  My Dad was also a fan and first went in 1956, and hence saw the D Type Ecurie Ecosse victory.  Whilst his run wasn't unbroken he was there in 1988 to see the first of the 'next generation' Jag wins.  He is 86 now but is still up to speed on most things LM, although like the rest of us can't quite get his head round diesel racing cars.  What next .... steam?
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 02:12:32 pm »

Crikey! Your old man sounds like a bloody good egg! Do you think he'd be interested in registering on Club Arnage too? I think one of our members here (who will remain nameless!) saw the GT40s win but it would be very cool to have a D Type man on board and claim him as one of the boys. I'd see to it that he's sent a free Club Arnage teeshirt.

Welcome anyway!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
paultarsey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 03:28:45 pm »

Thanks for the welcome!

The Old Chap is not very good with technology and hence is unlikely to get onto the site but I will pass on your best wishes.

We had a dinner to celebrate 50 years since his first visit earlier in the year which was FAB.  There were people there who had been with him in the 50s right up to current visitors.

After dinner Dad stood up and made a speech.  He told us about being in the back of the pits when Mike Hawthorn (who was driving for Ferrari) came into the pits with a big lead, only for the team to make a complete hash of it and the car went back into the race in third place.  Seeing that the group that Dad was with were English, Hawthorn walked up to them (pretty well with steam coming out of his ears) and said "that's the last time I shell their f^^^ing peas for them" and stormed off.

Memories are made of this.

The Old Git Newbie. 
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 09:29:06 pm »

Welcome Paul, your old man sounds a right good egg and I'm sure he would appriecate the humour and scraps on this site (as you will as well) but time and technology marches on.
Where are you based, we have a fair few get togethers (planning meetings??) in London and Wokingham, and the likes of Donnington ect.
paultarsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 09:35:51 am »

Thanks for the comments Ian,  I live in Emsworth, Hampshire (near Portsmouth) which is pretty well served by routes to the rest of the world.  Perhaps we can get together at a 'planning meeting' and discuss the world in general and LM in particular.
Best wishes, The Old Git
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 10:13:51 am »

Welcome Paul, you're old chap sounds fab - do think about getting him to talk about some of his memories on tape so that you've got them for the future. 

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 10:13:58 am »

Dear Old Git,  my I point you to our map of CA members, please pin yourself up ole' chap, not too far apart, planning meeting always can be arranged, be down your way next week for the testing at Goodwood. Wink

http://www.frappr.com/clubarnage
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 10:39:03 am by Ferrari Spider » Logged
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 10:31:04 am »

may I point you to our map of CA members,

What map Peter?. I aint never seen no map

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 10:39:28 am »

may I point you to our map of CA members,

What map Peter?. I aint never seen no map

you need your eyes tested bob.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 11:01:06 am »

Who said that?? Cool

fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 11:18:24 am »

I found it the map.. and I'm now on it Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: