Club Arnage
September 24, 2024, 03:25:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: To Split or Not to Split:  (Voting closed: August 10, 2006, 02:01:48 pm)
Give funds to one nominated charity - 10 (50%)
Divide funds between a few (3 - 4) nominated charities - 10 (50%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Guide Charity Donations  (Read 14797 times)
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 07:46:45 pm »

so what is it you are trying to say then Steve?

You've lost me, I thought it was obvious?

not to me it ain't
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 08:28:53 pm »

the autosport LM guide which is about 3-4 GBP's

Blimey is that what Autosport costs these days?  Havent been at home to buy it the last couple of years.....

Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 09:45:58 pm »

I will always support Cancer Reaserch over other charities for their achievements in the treatment of Cancer - something we are all likely to encounter at some stage of our lives. But its a huge organisation and very well supported.
And I do think we should support a single charity so that we potentially could make a difference with a sizable donation rather than split it.
Maybe if we could find a smaller charity such as a Childrens Hospice that we could adopt and name in our request for donations, and maybe be seen to be handing over a cheque, that way people will know where their donations have gone.   
rcutler
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 11:51:57 pm »

Rick, the Coastguard is not voluntary - it is a government body.
However, the RNLI IS a voluntarily manned charity organisation.

I stand corrected but yes that is who i meant.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 12:05:50 am »

Rick, the Coastguard is not voluntary - it is a government body.
However, the RNLI IS a voluntarily manned charity organisation.

I stand corrected but yes that is who i meant.

Don't worry about it Rick, I think Mrs Brown is having an off day.  Lets get back to  letting Doris know about how WE the forum feel the charity money should be apportioned.  Cheesy
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 08:43:46 am »

My first choice would be too a motorsports based charity like the one already put forward by Steve Brown and one of the worthy cancer charitys, Breakthru breast cancer research being one I have helped in the past.

As steve has already said it will be quite hard to stop it being downloaded and then pasted up somwhere else with the charity donation bit missing.

As an aside by seeming to charge for it will the ACO want anything out of it? they did after all demand an entire book release be pluped as they never gave approval for its release?

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 09:03:01 am »

That's true Nordic but we could always put the charity call INTO the guide (e.g. first page with a reminder in each page header/footer).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:05:18 am by hgb » Logged

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 09:17:09 am »

just voted Cheesy still think cancer research should be in there.. my partner got through 2 bouts of spinal cancer (mild luckily!) but helping her through the chemo etc was hard and CR in jersey did a wonderful job helping.. so I have started doing things for it over here.. did the 24hr relay for life and did a hawaiian tropic (le mans theme Wink) see link http://tinyurl.com/ra9al
even a little beer wall was put up and the LM tent was erected.. le mans t shirt sat and pescarolo shirt sunday.. (and tuxedo for the 2am walk!!)

Andy Grin
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:34:27 am by fagey » Logged

knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 09:53:32 am »

Cancer research is always a good cause for charity. Being in research, I would also love to see some of the donations go to an asthma fund or a fund for lung diseases in general. the reason being is that lung diseases ar on the rise, they soon will be the number 3 cause of death. Also more and more children are suffering from lung disease, research is needed to prevent this from escalating.

Since I am Dutch and we will be collecting money again on our party on friday night, could it also be a Dutch charity where some of the money goes to?Huh

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 10:15:26 am »

Here's my two penceworth.

I think that splitting by the money too many ways the amount involved would be too small to make a difference, and surely a charitable donation is intended to make a difference. I would like to see us support a charity that could become CAs official good cause, which I think, as Steve said, really ought to be motorsport based given that, despite all the various tangents, this is a motorsport based Forum. Members could then, if they wished, support the charity in any other fund raising throughout the year.

If the guide is to become an annual publication we could have a quest charity decided on by members that changes every year and give them a percentage of the donations. Personaly, I think the better known charites get support in many ways throughout the country, although maybe not enough. Where we could really make a difference is making our "guest charity" somthing smaller like helping a terminally sick child acheive a dream such as going to Disney.

Only my ideas but I'm happy to go along with the majority.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006, 11:31:03 am »

Here's my two penceworth.

I think that splitting by the money too many ways the amount involved would be too small to make a difference, and surely a charitable donation is intended to make a difference. I would like to see us support a charity that could become CAs official good cause, which I think, as Steve said, really ought to be motorsport based given that, despite all the various tangents, this is a motorsport based Forum. Members could then, if they wished, support the charity in any other fund raising throughout the year.

If the guide is to become an annual publication we could have a quest charity decided on by members that changes every year and give them a percentage of the donations. Personaly, I think the better known charites get support in many ways throughout the country, although maybe not enough. Where we could really make a difference is making our "guest charity" somthing smaller like helping a terminally sick child acheive a dream such as going to Disney.

Only my ideas but I'm happy to go along with the majority.

All good points, the thread is about getting an idea how the forum views apportioning the charity donations, the next step will be to decide which charitie/s we sponsor.

The big IF is how much the voluntary donation will yield, which we will not know until the guide is ready, my personal view, is that it will be 2-3K GBP.

Another factor is that there are other forum members who are/will be raising money for charity apart from Doris, we may wish to sponsor them/as well as Doris for 2007.

Lets not get to bogged down in the minutiae. The question is do we support more than one charity and lets have some ideas about worthy causes.  FS
rcutler
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006, 11:38:49 am »

just as a pointer, couple of big IFs here.  there have been about 3000 downloads for the 2006 guide, we will ask for each download the equivalent of the autosport LM guide which is about 3-4 GBP's, so potentially there could be 9-12K GBP's in the kitty.

I may well have downloaded it twice this year, once at work and once at home i believe. I wouldn't go on last years figures as of course it was free. Most of my team did not even appreciate the work I had put into mine and didn't even bother to look at Werners! I expect that it will raise around 4-6k.

I think we should try to find a donation that would assist all the members of the forum. Something international as as Roy said with the DfH party we will raise a lot again!
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 01:03:05 pm »

You won't know if it'll make a difference until you know how much you've got, and I for one wouldn't like to make a guess.
If there's a fee, then most downloaders will be put off, or as Smokie says, get around it one way or another. One option may be to make it a printed version, to be posted out to whoever 'buys' it with an online donation, but this would require extra work at the CA end of things. A bit lo-tech, but maybe worth thinking about.

Another scam, which I've already mentioned to Doris in a pm thus:

"While I'm on, one of many areas of confusion to me has been this 'sell a ticket on CA but only at face value' lark. What happens, as no doubt you saw, literally hundreds of people clog the website looking for tickets and a bargain. Usually it's because they couldn't be bothered to order in time and mostly they've never posted on CA before. I know for a fact that many of them re-sell their tix on e-bay after buying on CA. Opportunists if you ask me. May I humbly suggest to you, in your capacity as Charity Fund Raising Officer, that anyone buying tickets at face value from another CA member has to make a donation to one of the charities that you have on your shortlist."

Worth considering?
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 02:26:15 pm »

That would be a good idea as well. On another topic, CA could make it policy not to sell tickets to newbies but only to people who have at least posted more then 100 times on CA, maybe even 200. Of course we could still ask for 5 or 10 % of the face value as a donation for charity. That way it surves two good causes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 02:27:50 pm by knetter » Logged

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 04:42:08 pm »

I think Roy has a very fair point, especially with regard to DFH's immense hospitality on Friday night this year, and the amount that was raised,  but lets not forget Werners contribution to the CA guide as well, and the contributions from the US. We really need to find an international organisation and cause that we could support.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: