Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 03:24:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Hondas in ALMs in 07 & Porsche+VAG  (Read 5951 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2006, 05:26:51 pm »

AutoSport are reporting Andretti Green Racing are all but confirmed as the team that will run 2 of Honda's Acura branded LMP2 cars in next year's American Le Mans Series.

Another 2 teams are expected to run similiar powered cars, Highcroft with one car and another 2 car team.

No word yet of chassis choice yet. but it better be good to mach the pace making Porsche.

Porsche have recently become the controlling shareholder of VAG, does this mean the end of any hope of the LMP2 Porsche moving up. I wonder.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 06:54:58 pm »

Hihar, looking even more forward to Sebring now!

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Fax
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 06:58:52 pm »

The Andretti cars have almost been a given since the announcement of the program.  Would bet my last dollar that one of the other two car teams will be Newman-Haas or Rahal.  Bet we see Mike back in the saddle of one of his cars too, who knows maybe even the Old Man, could see him doing Sebring. Wink
Fax
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 07:04:27 pm by Fax » Logged
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 08:47:58 pm »

The Andretti cars have almost been a given since the announcement of the program.  Would bet my last dollar that one of the other two car teams will be Newman-Haas or Rahal.  Bet we see Mike back in the saddle of one of his cars too, who knows maybe even the Old Man, could see him doing Sebring. Wink
Fax
Sounds like an expensive way of getting your boy a seat in a racing car - maybe he's learnt how to keep a car on the track since his F1 disaster, but how long is that going to last in an endurance race? As for the old man - are they aloud to trailer life support machines?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:57:33 pm by Ian.. » Logged
Fax
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 08:57:00 pm »

Actually Mike's the one with the money invested (made a helluva lot of money over his Indycar career).  Agreed his F1 foray was a complete disaster, went about it all wrong and I think he'll be the first to admit it.  I can see Michael getting into the car for the big ALMS races (Sebring & Petit) but I don't see him being a fulltime driver anymore.  Too much work running a team.  As for the old dude. He's won Sebring three times (once for Ford and twice for the Prancing Horse) Could have a fourth in him? Wink
Fax
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 09:01:28 pm »

Grin 9min 2 sec  Grin I stand corrected - cant see the old man in one though.
Fax
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:06:26 pm »

Your right, I can't either (just having some fun) ten years ago maybe, but his last few LM outings in Panoz were a bit embarrasing and I think he realizes father time has finally caught up with him.  Mike actually isn't a bad endurance driver for someone who had such an aggressive reputation as a single seater pilot.
Fax
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 07:39:16 am »

ALMS is making me very happy these days.  Smiley

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=2323

Andretti Green Racing, Fernandez Racing and Highcroft Racing will campaign Acura-powered LMP2 entries in the 2007 American Le Mans Series.
Portland – Relying on their years of experience in various forms of motorsports, Honda Performance Development Inc., announced today the three world-class teams that will field its Acura-powered LMP2 entries in the American Le Mans Series starting in 2007.

Highcroft Racing, Fernandez Racing and Andretti Green Racing will spearhead Acura's entry into top-level sports car racing next season, pitting their Acura-powered LMP2 prototypes against full factory and manufacturer-supported efforts from Audi, Porsche, Mazda, as well as a variety of independent teams. The 55th annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring will mark the debut of the Acura LMP2 powerplant.

"Today's announcement is another big step forward for Acura's factory program and the American Le Mans Series," said Scott Atherton, President and CEO of the American Le Mans Series. "This collection of teams represents some of the most established and prestigious names in motorsports. The combination of three represents the best of both Acura and the American Le Mans Series.

Acura's entry into the American Le Mans Series marks its first factory motorsports effort in its 20-year history.
"The opportunity to bring teams like Andretti Green Racing and Fernandez Racing into the American Le Mans Series is something for which we are constantly striving," he said. "But in this case the credit belongs to Acura. The successes they have had in various forms of motorsports speak for themselves. And we could not be more proud to see Duncan Dayton and the entire Highcroft Racing organization embraced by the Acura factory program. We have no doubt that all three teams will be well-prepared for their debut at Sebring next year and for the entire 2007 season."

Andretti Green and Highcroft will each field Acura-Courage LC75 entries next season, with Highcroft designated as the team that will work closest with HPD in chassis development. The Fernandez organization will run an Acura-powered Lola B05/40 and will be the team most focused on ongoing engine development.

All three teams will utilize Michelin competition tires. XM Satellite Radio will be the primary sponsor of the Andretti Green Racing Acura Courage. Lowe's will serve as title sponsor of the Acura Lola run by the Fernandez organization. Complete driver and sponsors lineups for all three teams will be announced in the near future with testing to begin in August.

"We're thrilled to have teams the caliber of Highcroft, Fernandez and Andretti Green join us in our entry into American Le Mans Series competition," said Robert Clarke, president of Honda Performance Development. "Both the Andretti Green and Fernandez teams have been integral parts of our open-wheel racing programs, so it is entirely appropriate that we expand our relationships with them in our newest racing program.

Acura is the latest world-class manufacturer to commit to an American Le Mans Series program.
"While new to our ‘family', Duncan Dayton's Highcroft organization is impressive and perfectly fits the needs of our new chassis development program," Clarke added. "A team that is young and with limited experience, but with aspirations of being a formidable team capable of competing against the best, Highcroft has expectations and goals that are in complete alignment with those of HPD. Acura faces a huge challenge with its entry into American Le Mans Series racing and we do not underestimate that challenge."

Acura is the luxury brand of American Honda Motor Company. It announced plans in April to enter the American Le Mans Series in 2007, the first factory motorsports effort in its 20-year history. Acura principals cited the Series' platform of allowing the world's most prestigious manufacturers to display the latest in leading-edge technology on a global stage to a worldwide affluent audience as a major factor in the decision to enter.

When the 2007 American Le Mans Series season opens, Acura will stand alongside premier marques including Audi, Aston Martin, BMW, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Lexus, Mazda, Panoz, Porsche and Saleen on the grid that boasts more than 10 of the world's elite automobile manufacturers competing head-to-head. No other motorsports series in the world boasts the manufacturer participation present in the American Le Mans Series.

"The 2007 LMP2 grid will further demonstrate to our current and prospective corporate partners, worldwide television audience and our tremendous fan base why the American Le Mans Series is the premium brand of motorsports," Atherton said. "The P2 class will feature a collection of the world's best factory and independent teams, multiple tire companies and engine manufacturers that are second-to-none. These are exciting times for the American Le Mans Series, and as we turn our attention toward 2007 and our ninth season, clearly the best is yet come!"

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 09:11:38 am »

I really start to envy you guys on the other side of the pond, compared to what we have here in Europe with the european Le Mans Series the ALMS outlook sounds sooo much better....

Yes, hopefully I'll make to Sebring next year...

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 10:20:19 am »

It looks like Audi will have some serious LMP2 opposition with first Porsche and now Honda / Acura.
Sebring 2007 looks like being a classic.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Fax
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 08:21:38 am »

Dare I say it, Sebring next year is looking like a far better show than LM (racing wise)?  Looking at the entries, I'd say so.  I doubt Penske Porsche, Andretti and Fernandez are making the trip over.  Sebring should be a mind blower with the teams lining up.
I'm still picking Porsche to win the Petit.
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 08:38:46 am »

Entry wise you could be right, should it be ready the peugeot should be on the grid at Sebring as well.

I to doubt that Penske will be coming to France with a P2 Porsche, there may be some others in Europe next year that hopefully will see at least 2 over here.

There could be a works Courage P2 team with a Honda engine as well.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fax
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 08:43:00 am »

Nordic I REALLY do hope you guys get a chance to catch the Spyders over there...This is real racing car, underpowered but superb handling, giving the turbo trucks all they can handle.
Fax
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 10:31:48 am »

I thought i'd seen somewhere that the porkers were defo for LM in '07?

Fax
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 07:44:58 pm »

Hmm, haven't heard anything like that.  Mostly a lot of hope & prayer I think.  It appears to be a fine sprinter right now, but might still be a bit fragile for a round the clocker.  I still think its going to eventually be a LMP1 car with a turbo tacked on.
Fax
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 07:47:19 pm by Fax » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: