Club Arnage
September 27, 2024, 11:30:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for Hindy  (Read 7220 times)
Fax
« on: July 14, 2006, 09:25:32 pm »

Just curious, since you spend a great deal of time at the North American circuits working for the ALMS radio network, and you'll have a different perspective working in the media, what do you think of the North American venues?  We've had some lively debate in recent months regarding spectating, facilities, etc. at our venues over here vs the European circuits (LM in particular).
For instance, I live in Ohio and visit the Mid-Ohio circuit often, when there I'll often over hear the Brits  comparing it to Brands Hatch.  As I said, curious to get your take on the subject.
Fax
Fax
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 01:37:40 pm »

Just keeping this on the first page to see if he'll actually reply.
Fax
Hindy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 06:17:43 pm »

Sorry – just seen this – just got back to my computer from Salt Lake.

To answer the question – I think that the US and Canadian circuits compare very favourably to their European counterparts.

Let’s break it down to tracks, facilities and promoters /track owners.

1) Tracks
As most of the drivers’ will tell you they love driving the US tracks. The comment I hear most is tat they are like the circuits over here were before the ‘safety’ work sanitised our best tracks.

Although many European officials would have blue fit at the thought of International class racing at Mosport, Lime Rock and even Road America and Sebring, the simple fact is that improvements in car design and build along with passive safety developments (HANS and circuit barriers) have reduced the danger factor associated with the US tracks. I place before the court the BK Mazda/Risi Ferrari incident at Lime Rock, two bent cars, two unhurt drivers.

I know that banded tyres held in place with conveyor belt is hardly high tech but remember back to Sebring and the Corvette brake explosion. Not only was Johnny O fine, the car finished the race!

The fact that the tracks are considered a challenge by drivers says a lot –  the t-shirt worn by Jacques Villenueve that caused such a stir with officialdom said, “I remember when sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous.”

At the other end of the spectrum you would have to try really hard to hit something solid at Miller Motorsport Park. It has FIA group 2 sanction – that’s every thing except F1. It looks like any other FIA approved track though. I’m not saying that’s bad, it is just a very different animal to the other American circuits.

The surroundings of the tracks also play a part –

Mid Ohio, Mosport, Road America and Atlanta all lie in picturesque parkland with great natural topography – marvellous.

Sebring oozes history and is barely changed since the first US GP in 1959 – superb.

Portland – only one straight and that’s the front stretch drag strip, set up always a compromise – brilliant.

Lime Rock – like racing 180 MPH sportcars around your living room, OK Brands Indy Circuit – mega! 

Laguna Seca – two words - The Corkscrew.

I think it’s the variety of the ALMS tracks that I like so much – I’d love to see LMS or FIA Sportscars at Croft, Thruxton or Knockhill. Not going to happen though.

2. Facilities

Since my first visit to the USA for PLM 1998 this is the area where I have seen the most improvement.

In part led by the Panoz-owned tracks (Sebring, Mosport, R-Atlanta) the move toward more ‘European’ infrastructure has been a real eye opener.

It would be churlish to suggest that the investment by the above venues, mirrored by Laguna Seca is purely driven by the ALMS. But think about this. The ALMS proposition is; technological advance, an all inclusive experience and, dare I say, World Class. Obviously the ALMS fan understands that and is motivated – at least in part and possibly unconsciously – by those values.

Of course some of the improvements are aimed at the corporate market. However that’s not bad, the general public benefit with better washrooms, food and other concessions etc. Of less direct benefit are improved press facilities, making ‘our’ sport easier to cover by more journalists from more diverse media outlets.

3. Promoters

I can only speak from my experience with ALMS but it seems that promoters/track owners fall into two categories;

Type One;
Understand the ALMS proposition and are prepared to buy in 100%. Recognise that they are probably not reaching the majority of ALMS fans with their other events.  Prepared to compromise and make changes to their ‘normal’ operating practice. E.G. open grids for all fans, fan forums, no track action during autograph sessions, provision for live TV and Radio. See the event as an important addition to the calendar that reflects well on the facility as well as being profitable. Hope to make a good impression and attract some of the ALMS spectators to other events.

Type Two;
ALMS is just another event albeit a profitable one. This is our track. We don’t do it like that here. You want to do WHAT? No No NO! Our people always do that. Don’t understand the type of fan that the ALMS attracts.

I’m delighted to say that Type two is all but extinct. I believe that is down to three reasons.
a)   the ALMS is a money maker for any venue
b)   the ALMS attracts loyal and knowledgeable fans who spend in the surrounding area as well as at the track
and probably most importantly
c)   the ALMS has proved that it will not be held to ransom by promoters. There are more venues that want the ALMS then currently have a round, and that, coupled with the series’ willingness to choose new (sometimes temporary) venues for their events has ensured that the ALMS remains in control of the calendar.

I hope this goes some way to answer the question - The Jet Lag is kicking in now and this has become more of a missive than I intended for which I apologise.

Please understand these are only my personal opinions and that the circuits named above are for illustrative purposed only and no inference should be taken form the omission or inclusion of any venue.

JH
Fax
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 06:35:12 pm »

Well done Hindy!
Enjoyed that very much, didn't mean to sound sarcastic with my last post, but sometimes those in the media will "Tip Toe" around subjects without really giving a direct answer.  Your were refreshingly direct and to the point  Actually your assesments are very much what I thought they might be.  Big thanks and hope your not wearing too much of a sunburn from Miller, it looked DAMN HOT out there.  Very much enjoy your commentary at the races and your voice has become very much part of the ALMS experience, either at the circuit or over the web.  See you at Road Atlanta in Sept.
Cheers,
Fax
delaney64

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 02:47:52 pm »

I would heartily recommend UK fans to go to an ALMS race - flights to the USA are reasonable and the dollar - pound rate is good for us. I'm sure that whatever the TV shows it's no where near how great some of the venues are....

RichUK
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 03:16:21 pm »

Utah, from the TV coverage on Motors, didn't look too spectator friendly to me.

Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:42:14 pm by RichUK » Logged

I've come to believe that Le Mans is the centre of the universe.
Fax
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 04:16:29 pm »

If you look at Hindy's comments above, you understand why Miller Park in Utah doesn't look spectator friendly...Built to FIA Group 2 Specs.  Go to a track the FIA regulations have nothing to do with and you'll love it.
Fax
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:19:28 pm by Fax » Logged
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 12:08:18 am »

I could not believe the lack of chicken wire at SEBRING when I went this year, which totally improved the experience for me, along with some incredible hospitality and general goodwill.

Following this with LM24 and LM Classic is a bit of a let down and next year I am thinking of doing Sebring and then Spa or Nurburgring, and perhaps not bothering with LM24. I know this is a big decision and I will miss the experience of LM, I think it is almost a case of 'it's time to move on' and watch some racing without the chicken wire.

I would appreciate recommendations, even comments.

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , ŕ consommer avec modération
Fax
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 06:22:49 am »

For what its worth, the 12 Hours of Sebring and the Petit Le Mans are the best, lovely bookends to a racing season.  Fill in the blanks in between, but the the historic Florida classic in March, and the already classic 1000 miler through the rolling north Georgia hills in late Sept./early Oct. are for me the highlights of the racing season.  They are different in many ways but so similar in others.  Sebring is...well it's Sebring Grin  The Petit? Its what the USGP at the Glen used to be...Minus the dreaded Bog and plus everything good!
Fax
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 10:06:37 am »

I could not believe the lack of chicken wire at SEBRING when I went this year, which totally improved the experience for me, along with some incredible hospitality and general goodwill.

Following this with LM24 and LM Classic is a bit of a let down and next year I am thinking of doing Sebring and then Spa or Nurburgring, and perhaps not bothering with LM24. I know this is a big decision and I will miss the experience of LM, I think it is almost a case of 'it's time to move on' and watch some racing without the chicken wire.

I would appreciate recommendations, even comments.

>Martini...
I think Mr Termite might draw the line at upping sticks and moving close to Sebring so I'm afraid it's just going to have to be ECA chicken wire for me.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 10:59:15 pm »

For what its worth, the 12 Hours of Sebring and the Petit Le Mans are the best, lovely bookends to a racing season.  Fill in the blanks in between, but the the historic Florida classic in March, and the already classic 1000 miler through the rolling north Georgia hills in late Sept./early Oct. are for me the highlights of the racing season.  They are different in many ways but so similar in others.  Sebring is...well it's Sebring Grin  The Petit? Its what the USGP at the Glen used to be...Minus the dreaded Bog and plus everything good!

Good info Fax I have read a fair bit about Petit and will give it a try in the next couple of years

I will do Sebring 06 but I really fancy Europe with a bit of a drive.

Anything from GAB, Pieter, DFH?

>Martini

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , ŕ consommer avec modération
gab
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 09:02:52 am »

Martin,

I am planning on being at Sebring in 2007, that you can count on. As for Petit LM, it`s on my "to do" list. As soon as I can afford it then I will be there, can`t see it for 2007 but maybe 2008 or 2009. It`s possible that I may take a break from LM in 2007, tickets are requested but could possibly stay away from France next year.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 09:08:09 am »

....could possibly stay away from France next year.

Hey guys, that's desertion... Grin Ok, understood. I'm also seriously thinking about Sebring 2007, but not as a replacement for "the big one", I'll be in France next year definitely. Does anyone know when the definite ALMS 2007 schedule with the Sebring date will be available? The earlier I can book a flight, the cheaper it might be

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 11:58:05 am »

Does anyone know when the definite ALMS 2007 schedule with the Sebring date will be available? The earlier I can book a flight, the cheaper it might be

Sebring is March 14-17. 

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 12:49:07 pm »

Does anyone know when the definite ALMS 2007 schedule with the Sebring date will be available? The earlier I can book a flight, the cheaper it might be

Sebring is March 14-17. 

Thanks a lot

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: