Club Arnage
September 27, 2024, 07:22:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CA 2007 Guide  (Read 2544 times)
Ferrari Spider
« on: July 05, 2006, 01:53:44 pm »

Looking for background information concerning the Le Signal Monument at Place Saint Nicolas, Le Mans.

A view of it can be seen here, http://www.lemanstourisme.com/FRANCE/Default.aspx?tabid=1006

I've had a look across the web and there doesn't seem to be a lot about the monument.  In particular, looking for what it is, why there at the Place, what happens each year [understand] that the previous years winners hands are moulded and mounted as per the photographs, how long has it been going on for and when the ceremony occurs, is it something that could be done during race week. Any other useful info relating to this would be handy.  FS
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 02:00:07 pm »

The ceremony takes place each year at the monument in the Place St Nicholas at 11.00 on mad Friday.   The "blank space" awaiting the drivers' hand print is usually in evidence for around a month before this happens.  The brass plate is brought in early on the Friday morning and uncovered during the ceremony when the drivers put their hands in their prints and photos are taken.  It's a low key event and usually not too crowded (but will be now, I guess.)  I have some pics which I took a year or two ago which I will e-mail to you.
I'll see what I can find out about the monument itself/dates etc.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 02:16:48 pm »

Debs, that will be fantastic,  with regard to the photographs, you can put them onto Webshots and I can download them from there.

had an idea that it was low key from the shots, also thinking about a heritage route type thing, you know, to include notable LM 24 locations, like, old parts of circuit, war memorials etc.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 02:27:03 pm »

If you speak French "Le Petit Fute" produce a Le Mans City Guide (a proper 340-page book) to the city which is very comprehensive and would provide you with loads of info about the city and surrounding area.  If not, just suggest that you PM me with a list of the kinds of things you think you may need/gaps that need filling.  I'll make a start on the monuments stuff if you like as it's something that can be got out of the way pretty early on?
For transport enthusiasts of a different kind, the old Le Mans to Mamers tramway has a fascinating history, the remaining pontoon from the bridge in the middle of the Sarthe is the only example of a crossing, where railway and tram lines actually crossed in the middle of  a river!  Sadly, the nazis bombed it so the tramway went out of use but there are still a few bits of viaduct preserved on the road to Mamers.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:32:25 pm »

I'll get my thinking hat on.  FS Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: