Club Arnage
October 02, 2024, 10:39:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battle of the Somme  (Read 7621 times)
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2006, 11:49:52 pm »

I thought I would just add a note in here to mark the 90th anniversary of that horrific event and everyone will hopefully take a moment to think about the sacrifice of ALL who fell on that fateful day.
We always visit the graves on our way home from Le Mans just to remind ourselves how lucky we are to be living in a free and democratic world and to respect all of those on all sides who fell in battle before they had experienced any life, it is a very humbling experience. Those that have never taken the time to visit the war graves in the Somme or in Normandy should do so, you'll never regret it and you'll never forget it.

I bow my head in respect. We truly are not worthy.

Rusty

One for Canada Phil

* vimy.jpg (21.92 KB, 480x360 - viewed 387 times.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 11:59:37 pm by The Brethren » Logged

The Brethren Rock
Boney2728

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 12:04:51 am »

Second that, Used to go down via Normandy from Caen and stop off at places on the way , Very humbling what the older generation done for us , I for one will never forget.....
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 12:07:49 am »

Agree 100%. We have stopped off at a few war cemetaries on the way back over the years and it is like you say a very humbling experience. Those guys were of no age and yet they paid the ultimate sacrifice and thanks to them we can come and go throughout europe without a second thought.
As Rusty says make time for a visit, it's not much of a detour, we owe a lot to those brave men.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 12:11:21 am »

Rusty,
A very worthy and timely post.
I saw on the TV this week a feature about one of only 3 allied surviors of this battle. The gentleman is 110 years old.
It made me feel extremely humble.

I too have visited some of these graves. It makes me feel totaly insignificant when I am there.

Bowing my head in rememberance and with respect.

ND

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 12:17:52 am »

I posted the Vimy picture as out all of all the memorials this as far as I am concerned is the most hard hitting. All the land around it was given in perpetuity to the Canadians, it is Canada, I no of no other nation that has taken such a battering in both wars and particularly at Falais where the Black Watch were decimated and had 6 VC's awarded.

Vimy Ridge made me cry.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:54:31 am by The Brethren » Logged

The Brethren Rock
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 05:31:56 am »

Thanks Rusty,
                      Very thoughtful words. 1 July is Canada Day
One day I will make it to Vimy and surounding area.
Canada Phil
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 10:38:02 am »

Nice to know on the news this morning that since real history has been put back on the curriculum and the increase in people tracing there family trees, there are more people than ever visiting these sites.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 03:09:56 pm »

Just like to add my agreement to all the comments before. I was able to drive from home (Oxford) to London on Saturday morning to attend a small but non the less moving service at Westminster Cathedral that was timed to coincide with 'zero hour' (7.30) am. A whistle was blown to mark the moment 90 years before when the first wave crossed the parapet. Humbling and incredibly moving. My son (who was with me) and I left and the cathedral and made our way in the stunningly warm sunny morning (just as it had been in 1916) to the Cenotaph where we stood at the feet of the unknown soldier for a few moments and collected our thoughts while the traffic thundered by.

'Never forgotten.'

Simon.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 09:11:02 pm »

Just like to add my agreement to all the comments before. I was able to drive from home (Oxford) to London on Saturday morning to attend a small but non the less moving service at Westminster Cathedral that was timed to coincide with 'zero hour' (7.30) am. A whistle was blown to mark the moment 90 years before when the first wave crossed the parapet. Humbling and incredibly moving. My son (who was with me) and I left and the cathedral and made our way in the stunningly warm sunny morning (just as it had been in 1916) to the Cenotaph where we stood at the feet of the unknown soldier for a few moments and collected our thoughts while the traffic thundered by.

'Never forgotten.'

Simon.

Amen.
My Grandfather received shrapnell wounds in the Somme, came back to recover and then came back with shell shock secound time around. Brave men one and all.
iomac
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 09:25:27 pm »

There is not one person amongst us all who could be as free to enjoy our lives (and this site is proof positive) without the heroism of the previous generation. There is no end to the respect I have for all of those who gave everything for us and any opportunity to pay our respects/honour our heroes should be embraced wholeheartedly.

May we never forget!
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 09:38:43 pm »

Rusty, a fine and thought provoking memory.

Thanks for the timely reminder.

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 09:45:15 pm »

That's a reminder to the dark side of European history, let the bright side be alive for eternity. R.I.P. hate and ignorance.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 09:55:57 pm »

That's a reminder to the dark side of European history, let the bright side be alive for eternity. R.I.P. hate and ignorance.
Of course, all loyal men at the front on both sides, not questioning the sense or  logic of the guys behind giving the orders (who were feed by further a feild meglomaniacs) we should never forget.
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 11:13:10 pm »

stopped off at Point du hoc on way back from L/M to show the young fella who came with me the d-day beaches ...those craters must have been horific....and all such a waste, just because a few nutters think its a good idea to have a war !!!! shame they dont personally have to get their hands dirty. We all owe a lot to the brave lads who had no idea of the minceing machine they were jumping into !!!!! thats why we wear those poppys to remember all who made the sacrifice !!

been there done that doing it again !
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 11:18:07 pm »

I've just come back from a course, at the Edware Road Metropol.  It was cancelled last year because of the bombing.  A rare event because these men gladly did what they thought was right, and we've been able to live in peace for a long time as a result.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: