Club Arnage
July 03, 2024, 06:48:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I’ve finally dug the LM photos out of the Box Brownie.  (Read 15019 times)
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 02:31:14 pm »

There are so few places to take picture. 

Was this the inside of Mulsanne? What size lens/how much do you crop?

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 02:36:46 pm »

What 'gear' do you use to get such full and clear pictures at Mulsanne?

Thanks,
I use a fairly simple Fuji S5000 and position myself where I can get an uninterupted view over heads and fences on the banking.

That is a bit of a surprise, but in a good way, something to think about now. Becasue some of my companions were using some pricey technical stuff and the results were a little disappointing (their words).

I may have to re-view the 'content' of my plan to go digi.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 03:06:25 pm »

I've so far resisted the temptation to buy a digital SLR.

I sold a whole load of 35mm SLR gear a couple of gears ago and bought the Fuji S5000 to get a feel for digital.

I set the resolution to maximum (6 mp on the S5000), fast shutter speed and don't zoom in too tightly.

Then I crop the image later on the PC  - stills give a respectable image size.

Lorry - in answer to your queries, the photos were from the public viewing banking on the outside of Mulsanne corner.  Lens - the one bolted on to the front of the camera!

Steve East Anglian cobras

neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 03:57:02 pm »

nice pics Steve..  just about glimse us (well our black flags anyway!) in the podium shots your have there!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/551781492/2239512020052760295CgSOiQ
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 04:27:38 pm »

What 'gear' do you use to get such full and clear pictures at Mulsanne?

Thanks,
I use a fairly simple Fuji S5000 and position myself where I can get an uninterrupted view over heads and fences on the banking.

That is a bit of a surprise, but in a good way, something to think about now. Because some of my companions were using some pricey technical stuff and the results were a little disappointing (their words).

I may have to re-view the 'content' of my plan to go digi.

Christopher, I converted over to digital in 2003 with a professional Nikon DSLR rig, my first shots were to say the least rubbish.  Depending on what you are coming from and depending on what you are actually using the amount of variables that are available on modern day cameras is vast.  You really do need to get and use them and fully understand what all the knobs do!

No good leaving it on auto and expecting the computers to know what the shot should look like.  To be honest, I believe you need to know more about photography than ever before.

Could be the reason why your chums shots didn't meet expectation.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 05:14:12 pm »

Lorry - in answer to your queries, the photos were from the public viewing banking on the outside of Mulsanne corner.  Lens - the one bolted on to the front of the camera!
Sorry, I should have looked, its the inside of Arnage.  I didn't know you could get there

My photos have got worse over the years, and the old slr with 3 knobs took the best pictures.  The current film slr has 18 knobs, and is not as good.  I moved to a digital slr this year, which has even more knobs, but played a hunch.  Instead of using a zoom lens (with more glass than the Crystal Palace) I stuck an old telephoto lens on the front, ignored autofocus and the results are wonderful.  If I could have remembered how to change the film speed, even the pictures in the wet would have been good.  But when the instruction book is 200 pages...................

Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 05:32:30 pm »

Sorry, I should have looked, its the inside of Arnage.  I didn't know you could get there

I think you'll find it the outside of Arnage in the public bit and the cars are on the way up to the Porsche Curves. Nice photos Steve. I'll have to take a camera one year.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 05:41:44 pm »

I think you'll find it the outside of Arnage in the public bit and the cars are on the way up to the Porsche Curves. Nice photos Steve. I'll have to take a camera one year.

Have you all been on the sherbert already?

As previously mentioned, the photos I posted earlier here http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=5722.msg70575#msg70575 were all taken at the public banking at the outside of MULSANNE CORNER.

I know because I took them  Roll Eyes

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 05:45:59 pm »

Have you all been on the sherbert already?

As previously mentioned, the photos I posted earlier here http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=5722.msg70575#msg70575 were all taken at the public banking at the outside of MULSANNE CORNER.

I know because I took them  Roll Eyes

R U sure Mr Moderator, Mr Stu is one of the senior members of CA and I'm sure he knows his way around the track by now. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 06:23:25 pm »

No good leaving it on auto and expecting the computers to know what the shot should look like.  To be honest, I believe you need to know more about photography than ever before.

This is my personal belief also.

For the last 3 years I have been persevering with a film SLR with telephoto lens on manual set up. I have sort of promised myself not to go digital until I can repeatedly get the end result that I pictured in my head when I opened the shutter.

I get a lot of pi$$ take because of the amount of film I go through, but some of my friends rattle off lots of pictures and still don't get any more acceptable pictures. Some of them on the other hand just seem to be gifted.

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 06:29:22 pm »

This is my personal belief also.

For the last 3 years I have been persevering with a film SLR with telephoto lens on manual set up. I have sort of promised myself not to go digital until I can repeatedly get the end result that I pictured in my head when I opened the shutter.

I get a lot of pi$$ take because of the amount of film I go through, but some of my friends rattle off lots of pictures and still don't get any more acceptable pictures. Some of them on the other hand just seem to be gifted.

That's why digital is so much better, you don't keep on buying the film!!

you rescue so much more in digital, I use photoshop elements 3 & 4, only because its on different computers.

Fantastic medium photography, I just love it.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 06:39:21 pm »

If its no good on a digital (and you can zoom in and check) you delete it.  Plus you get 200 photos to a 1G card.  Don't worry too much as a third should be scrap, and another third duplicates, so you might just end up with some decent photos out of the other third.  Just keep pressing the button

You must be doing something wrong.  Is it left-right blur or just general blur (I suspect all zoom lenses), or are you too far away

Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 06:59:31 pm »

I agree with all the 'plus' points you make for digital, and I am not knocking it.

I just have a personal desire to improve my skills before I convert to the dark side.

But then again, playing with diigtal to learn the skills is going to be less costly and I can see when I am making mistakes earlier, rather than waiting to get the film back.

I beleive effective use of phot shop is the new skill to photography, and something no doubt I will end up converting to also.

I think the main problem with motorsport photography is that you cannot always get that close, that is probably my biggest disapointment with my photos.

But hey I'm not moaning, I enjoy what I do.

And I love looking at some of the great results that other people get.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 07:10:41 pm »

I just have a personal desire to improve my skills before I convert to the dark side.

My thoughts exactly Christopher.
That's one of the reasons I bought a middle range fixed lens digital so that I could "learn digital" without jumping in with a digi SLR to start with.

It gives a more gentler learning curve.

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 07:30:54 pm »

if you've not seen it have a look here,  http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47

it may be of some help.  I guess the most important part is to know what you are trying to capture, what is it you want from the photograph.  Too many times you see very good technically accurate shots of cars, but is that enough.

Personally i don't think so, for me its about capturing the essence of the event.  Big lenses may not be the answer?

These are shots I would of been proud to have taken.

* 18_0700_1.jpg (41.59 KB, 473x319 - viewed 249 times.)

* 17_1700_1.jpg (62.63 KB, 473x319 - viewed 295 times.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:38:20 pm by Ferrari Spider » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: