Club Arnage
June 24, 2024, 03:20:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Le Mans 2006 - A Reply  (Read 34542 times)
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2006, 05:12:16 pm »

In response to Ian's early posting... How would telling you that my real name is Pat help?

If you re-read the thread you will see that I did listen to RLM this year whilst in the car moving between vantage points.

At no point was I ever referring to 'big screens', I have been talking about the old ACO provided information screens.  Perhaps there are more big screens now but there have never been any down at Mulsanne, Indianapolis or Arnage as far as I know.  On the other hand there were at least three information screens along the walk from the car park to the Mulsanne viewing area.  There was a similar number in the Indianapolis/Arnage area and at the 'top' of the circuit they were positioned every 200m or so.  If you are finding them hard to imagine they were just TV monitors mounted on gantries 7 or 8 feet above the ground - did the job though.  So it was not really about being 'in the right place'.  The point is it didn't really matter where you were - up to date information was never far away.  For the PA announcements though it is true, being in the right place did matter... the point being though you could rely on them being broadcast punctually.

So enough of the remarks about 'unfounded comments'.  As a 5 times Le Mans novice I hardly think you are in a position to make such statements.

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2006, 06:00:39 pm »

Blimey aren't we all getting personal these days.

Can we stop it now, as what with the spammers we seem to be attracting the Ban list is already getting towards two pages...

smokie da mod
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2006, 06:03:54 pm »

OK - you are right.  I have had my say.

Thanks. Mr Rhino also please note... No reply needed. smokie
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 06:23:57 pm by smokie » Logged
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2006, 06:09:50 pm »

I think this has been a useful and interesting debate...lets hope those at RLM agree
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2006, 06:46:01 pm »

I recieved a reply to the e-mail i sent to Hindy. This is it .

Phil;

many thanks for your considered comments - don;t woryy as you will have seen from my reply we haven't taken any of the negative comments to heart - indeed I will put some of the sensible suggestions into practice for next year.

The 'extended coverage' was part of our syndication deal with Globecast Radio which broadcasts on sky 0157 all year round and provised RLM with a much needed extra platform for those without broadband or Motors Tv.

As you no doubt appreciate putting Radio Le Mans together is a massive undertaking - my fellow Directors (of Radio Show Limited - the rightsholding company) and I all have 'full time' jobs which need to be balanced with the considerable time and effort required to get all kit and people down to LM for the test weekend and the race itself. Add to that the pressure of raising a large amount of money - ACO Fees, travel, accomodation, fees to staff etc and you can see it's an awful lot to get done for no financial return.

All of the Directors feel that the continuation of Radio Le Mans is vital to the English-speaking audience - we take nothing from the deal - all they money is spent in paying bills and the staff who work for us and anything left is set aside for the future of the station.

Help us by encouraging vistors to the Radio Le Mans website downloads of the content and entries to our competitions - someone has to win and it helps our sponsors without which Radio Le Mans cannot continue. We took a massive 'punt' this year - it just about payed off - we need your support - not blind adoration of course - just your support - for which I thank you from all of us.

Kind Regards

John H
Radio Le Mans 2006

John Hindhaugh

Take life by the horns and live it.
24hourman
CA Veteran

Racing is life everything else is just waiting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2006, 06:48:04 pm »

I have been to le mans every year since 1983 which was the last year that the screens were widely available (The small monitors that is) they were only useful if you were walking about the place (They did not come to you, you had to go to them unlike RLM)  I do not think that many people would have got up from their viewing position and walked off to a monitor just to have a look at where each car was. If I remember correctly this information was always out of date anyway as it was only updated periodically. The only other way that you could be informed was for 5 minutes before each hour when there was a brief english commentary something which is carried on to this day. However it was always difficult to hear, as it is now, with the noise from a major race going on in the background.

Le Mans would not be the same without RLM and all who listen would be less informed without it. I have had my earphones in for every race from its inception from the time I arrive to the fall of the flag on Sunday afternoon I even have them in whilst I go to sleep in my tent it drowns out the noise of the drunks who want to party all night and then sleep when the race is on.

In an earlier posting I said that I felt that RLM had gone down hill over the last few years and I have thought long and hard over that after reading Hindys comment. I feel that I have probably let the side down. What I meant to say was that I was dissapointed with the way that it has changed whilst comparing it to the early outragious years. Well folks everything changes nothing stays the same, everything can be improved but as sure as hell you cannot please all of the people all of the time and you surely miss the thing that you love once it has gone.

Radio le mans has changed the way that English speaking listeners view the race you only have to look at the faces of non earpiece  touting spectators as they wonder what you know that they dont. Priceless.

Here's to Radio Le Mans and  all its presenters, contributors  both past and present together with the long gone memories and the ones to come.

Long Live Radio Le Mans

Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2006, 06:59:24 pm »

OK, I was not able to attend this year, but prior to the event there was a thread about the possibility of having CA members text information to a gateway for use in updating the ACO (I think) website. What actually happened with this idea? Did it work?

It seems to me, that one of the major gripes from people regarding RLM, is that it either misses things totally or has out of date information. Well, surely the above idea could work equally as well for RLM as it would for updating a website.

Perhaps CA members could offer their assistance and become an army of information gatherers for RLM as well.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2006, 08:45:31 pm »

I think the issue with text reports is that they are too short (160 chracters) and are unofficial and therefore potentially inaccurate (ok, so can the official reports, but at least the come from a known source). The result could be a flood of confused information which RLM would have to be very carefull about using as, we the listeners, would only hear the end result and judge them by it.
Maybe some official spotters could be recruited beforehand and briefed by RLM on a report structure, i.e. location, car #, issue, marshall action etc.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 10:37:33 pm by Ian.............. » Logged
delaney64

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2006, 12:01:25 pm »

Ok coupla bits of housekeeping. Sorry, didn't know Termietermite is a girl. Well done that lass!
Re: comment removed by moderator: Sorry and I bow to your judgement  - I'm just a newbie but some of the stuff other people were saying seemed unhelpful.
Speaking as a newbie I think I should just say how really impressed I am by the standard of debate here. OK it didn't start so well and some of your posters have rightly suggested that they might have let themselves down...but even admitting that is good stuff. But once a few people had a had a think the godd ideas and positive feedback started to flow. I have sent the link for the site to loads of people and told them to have a look. 
I think Hindy will find he gets a load more help next year!!!
delaney64

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »

Matt Harper wrote:I don't like the in-jokes, or the personal chat between the presenters that the listener (me, at least) have no part of and therefore no understanding of''

and then went on to tell the us newbies to butt out because we didn't understand the 'community'. or the private jokes. Go figure.

I won't add a smiley emoticon 'cos they are a bit girly to be honest but I am smiling as I write this. 
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2006, 12:29:58 pm »

Ok coupla bits of housekeeping. Sorry, didn't know Termietermite is a girl. Well done that lass!
Gosh, I haven't been called a girl in years! Ta, delaney 64.  The more newbies the better to my mind. 
Had another couple of e-mails from John H - seems a helpful and receptive chap to me.  Roll on next year. Smiley - am allowed a girley smiley now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 12:33:02 pm by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2006, 12:41:35 pm »

Matt Harper wrote:I don't like the in-jokes, or the personal chat between the presenters that the listener (me, at least) have no part of and therefore no understanding of''

and then went on to tell the us newbies to butt out because we didn't understand the 'community'. or the private jokes. Go figure.

I won't add a smiley emoticon 'cos they are a bit girly to be honest but I am smiling as I write this. 

That's not what he said at all. Leaving aside the comment about RLM as that has no relevance here, Matt was commenting on the increasing number of newbies and low posters who seem to be intent on personally attacking senior members of the forum.

We all welcome new members as that is how the forum stays alive but there are people who have been here for years and unless you know them personally you don't know how they will react to what you say.

I think what everyone is hoping for is that you will treat all members with respect and just because you happen to disagree with someone's point of view, that is no reason to start slating them or slagging them off or making snide comments.

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2006, 01:02:34 pm »

Boys boys, boys...

Tolerance is today's buzzword.

Everyone, new and old, are entitled to their say. This is an open forum, pretty much unmoderated except to maintain the site rules, where people can discuss their views on a range of topics, hopefully usually somewhere related to sportscar racing.

As a member of quite a few forums I have always found it best to observe for a while before jumping in with both feet. That way, you understand the dynamics of the relationships, and petty "he said, she said" arguments can be avoided.

All members deserve respect from each other, but that doesn't mean that we all have to agree on everything. Unjustified or excessive personal attacks won't be tolerated from anyone, old or new.

As has been previously mentioned this thread is one of the most interesting and, especially with Hindy's contribution, meaningful threads we have had in some time. It's a shame it is being dragged off topic by squabbles.

I'm hoping that this thread will

1) serve as a lesson to encourage people re-read their posts to ensure that their contribution is suitable, accurate and not unnecessarily offensive or aggressive and

2) return to the subject in hand immediately.

I do not want to have to waste too much of my time moderating here so please note the above.
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2006, 01:09:18 pm »

I recieved a reply to the e-mail i sent to Hindy. This is it .

Phil;

many thanks for your considered comments - don;t woryy as you will have seen from my reply we haven't taken any of the negative comments to heart - indeed I will put some of the sensible suggestions into practice for next year.

The 'extended coverage' was part of our syndication deal with Globecast Radio which broadcasts on sky 0157 all year round and provised RLM with a much needed extra platform for those without broadband or Motors Tv.

As you no doubt appreciate putting Radio Le Mans together is a massive undertaking - my fellow Directors (of Radio Show Limited - the rightsholding company) and I all have 'full time' jobs which need to be balanced with the considerable time and effort required to get all kit and people down to LM for the test weekend and the race itself. Add to that the pressure of raising a large amount of money - ACO Fees, travel, accomodation, fees to staff etc and you can see it's an awful lot to get done for no financial return.

All of the Directors feel that the continuation of Radio Le Mans is vital to the English-speaking audience - we take nothing from the deal - all they money is spent in paying bills and the staff who work for us and anything left is set aside for the future of the station.

Help us by encouraging vistors to the Radio Le Mans website downloads of the content and entries to our competitions - someone has to win and it helps our sponsors without which Radio Le Mans cannot continue. We took a massive 'punt' this year - it just about payed off - we need your support - not blind adoration of course - just your support - for which I thank you from all of us.

Kind Regards

John H
Radio Le Mans 2006

John Hindhaugh

The surprising thing there is the need to pay the ACO fees!  COrrect me if I am wrong but RLM is taking the race to people that the ACO would not reach.  Equally it is proving information to the 10's of thousands of english speaking people trackside.  Without that information they would either be besieging the ACO offices for information or just not turning up!  Surely the ACO should be paying RLM to be present!

On the note of visiting the RLM website I tried that on my return from the race, and found it hard to navigate, difficult to find the competions etc.   Mind you I suppose if everyone finds it so hard I should try again!  However maybe the website should be looked at by someone with an eye to making suggestions to improve it.

I am pleased that he clarifies that none of the Directors of the rights holding company make any money from doing RLM, not because I think they shouldn't but it does show their heart is in the station and they are doing it for the love of it.  We therefore should be doing our best to help them.
delaney64

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2006, 01:45:02 pm »

Hey!  I wasn't being snide.  I HAVE read the whole of both threads and I am, as I've said before, full of admiration for the site! Back off the ticking off. Thanks Smokie for the summary. Realise I sound like a suck up now but I do agree. And I really was smiling. Honest.

On the subject of fees to ACO I remember hearing that it got so expensive that the publishers of Autosport decided they couldn't make it pay.  Although it's true that the radio station extends the reach of the event I daresay the ACO sees it as commercial exploitation of their brand - which they, not unreasonably, guard very carefully.  Well, if Haymarket couldn't sustain it then fair play to anyone who takes it on (though I'm guessing they won't have the sort of overheads a big publisher would bring to the project)  I don't think it's unusual to find that race series/major events don't fund their radio stations - touring cars doesn't even have one now does it? I think ALMS does but with the pit guys mostly being from the US now I'm thinking that they aren't even that happy about the costs.

In my (admittedly) limited experience most holders of major brands require payment for rights of any sort...and we only have to look to F1 for the prime example of that. There wasn't even proper Silverstone radio this year.

I went to the rally in Wales last year and they had radio but I think that was funded by sponsors again not by the event - is it the same people that do RLM? 

Is there radio for Classic and is it on the net or Sky this time? I seem to remember seeing an ad for it but is it Haymarket?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: