Club Arnage
June 24, 2024, 03:28:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Le Mans 2006 - A Reply  (Read 34545 times)
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2006, 02:36:10 am »

I seem to have arrived at the suck-up queue.
As mentioned before, I'm not a huge fan of Radio Le Mans - and I have a choice - also stated.
I do not question the logitics and dedication involved in delivering the product - I accept that advertising is necessary and that keeping the whole thing going (by that I mean dialogue) for the duration of the race week is a big undertaking.
I don't feel that many would be capable of doing an equal or better job, either.
I don't like the in-jokes, or the personal chat between the presenters that the listener (me, at least) have no part of and therefore no understanding of. I also think that if any individual chooses to put themselves in the position of broadcaster they better have the credentials and knowledge to do it with authority.
Before anyone invites me to have a go, if I think I could do better - I know I can't - and that's really the rub.
I couldn't make it to Le Mans this year and until the US TV broadcast began RLM was my only alternative - it was OK aside from the stuff I mentioned that irritated me. I don't have an 'off button' at the ALMS rounds I attend, because it's broadcast over the PA - that said Hindy's commentary at these races seems much more factual and much less vacuous than the RLM show.
In closing, I also notice a few new 'faces' have emerged on the forum, I presume as a result  of this topic. I think it's great to have more members who have an opinion and can articulate it. But also remember, this is a community that's been around a while - and a lot of us know each other personally and understand some of the idiosynchrasies (spelling ?) of our fellow posters. Wading-in on post #1 and calling the shots could also be viewed as hostile and insensitive.
Finally, on the subject of hostile and insensitive, I made some particularly offensive comments about Hindy, which I regret and apologise for. However, my opinion about the value of RLM hasn't changed.
Matt Harper    

Are you sporting for a RLM hat or something?
Stick to your guns you insenstive git and let the noobs kiss Hindy Hinie.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2006, 09:57:16 am »

Well, I did send an e-mail to RLM with what I hope was  bit of constructive criticism and a few points to tidy up the "updates" next year.  Got a reply from Hindy who said he will pass on the comments to P. Trusswell.  We can only wait a year to see what happens but hopefully the point will be proved that constructive lobbying helps.  Although a good whinge often makes a good post and it keeps the debate alive.  The point about the internet is that everybody can have their say, isn't it?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2006, 12:02:30 pm »

Firstly, to Hindy, I thought your response was balanced, dignified and informative.

I thought the personal comments regarding individuals at RLM on the previous thread were uncalled for and disappointing. For those that have not had a chance to read the content of the original thread, I think it is worth pointing out that there were a considerable number of constructive comments that were worthy of consideration.

RLM has a unique opportunity to provide detailed information about an event that I think we all share a passion for. My feeling is that it is not providing that service as well as it could, for that matter, as well as it has in previous years.

Having read through the responses to the original thread and this one, I do notice a pattern emerging which I have to confess is very much related to my biggest concern about RLM. The issue of providing regular concise details of the race to those attending the event.

'What about the hourly updates?' I hear you cry. Great idea, wrong format. How many times have the updates been begun, and then tailed off onto other subjects resulting in a report that often last half an hour and so was out of date by the time it has been delivered?

For what it is worth, RLM would once again become invaluable, if I knew that it would provide regular, concise updates by which I mean 'car number four leads, one lap ahead of car 6 which is on the same lap a third place car number........' It don't make great radio, but it would real help to provide info to the viewing public.

I would also like to say that I do remember what it was like before RLM. And to me an important point was raised in the previous thread about how we all kept up to date by the screens positioned around the circuit that updated automatically meaning that on arrival at any viewing point you could check the latest positions. I wonder if these were phased out as a result of the introduction of RLM. There disappearance certainly coincided with the launch of the radio service. The resulting debate on the thread lead to Termietermite suggesting we lobby for the reintroduction of this service. Great idea, my email went to the ACO that same day.

I hope these comments are taken in the spirit in which they are meant and that consideration will be given to altering the format of the updates.

Smiley

oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2006, 12:04:42 pm »

As the originator of the 'who needs it' thread I feel it is time for me to re-join the debate.  Connectivity at work is much better than at home so I had to wait until today...

Well done to Mr H for providing such a detailed response to the comment and criticism prompted by the original posting.  It doesn't change my opinion much though.

In the original posting I did not criticise the enthusiasm or dedication of the broadcast team - though others have.  Nor did I mention any technical troubles as these are bound to happen during live broadcasts of this length.  I did, at one point refer to RLM as cr*p.  This was a little unfair.

I do still feel though that over the years the content of the broadcast has moved towards catering for the TV/Internet audience rather than the one at trackside.

The original posting was meant to be a two-pronged criticism of both RLM and the ACO.  My main frustration with RLM, and it would appear of a number of others too, is the unreliability of the hourly updates.  Too often these are broadcast late (and are therefore out-of-date) and/or are interrupted by inconsequential pieces of information that add nothing to the spectators' understanding of the actual race.  Sometimes the update is not even returned to.  This may not be much problem for those of you content to sit around the campsites all day without getting trackside very often, but for those of us that make the effort it IS a frustration.

As my 'forum name' suggests I have been doing Le Mans for some time now (since 1978 in case you are wondering) and I kid you not it was easier in those days to keep completely up-to-date with the race order using the ACO information screens than it is now listening to RLM.  And that is my beef with the ACO.  GIVE US THE SCREENS BACK!  For those of you who accuse those of us who don't think like you of being lazy I can tell you that the direct lobbying of the ACO to have the screens put back has begun.

So, RLM if you are to continue - and I hope you do as clearly you provide a service that many people appreciate and enjoy - then if you say you are going to give an update at a particular time do so and get through it to the end without distraction.  And to the ACO - put the information screens back so that those of us who don't want to be permanently connected to earphones have an alternative source of race information.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2006, 01:07:03 pm »

Content and quality of updates aside I think RLM have a dedicated team that is willing to return and do the job every year without ever seeing or doing some of the things we do as they are stuck up in the studio for most of the race.
Without appearing to be sucking up, there is no doubting that Hindy is a knowledgeable and enthusiastic sportscar fan. Not only that, what about his Saturday morning commentary of the England v Belgium (I think) match in the last world cup. Bloody wonderful considering it may have been his first football commentary and the fact that he is from Sunderland and therefore can't know an awful lot about football. Grin

The fact that he posted his comments about our critisisms surely shows that he is receptive to them and will try to implement any improvements we suggest.

Lets give the guys a break. would any of us want to be in a studio for the duration when we could be out there getting pissed with friends and having a blast.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2006, 01:17:42 pm »

I remember the scoreboards, and I don't want them back.

I seem to have missed this topic.  This forum frequently takes the pi$$ out of people, and this thread does seem to be giving some constructive feedback.

Personally, I would like to see more frequent updates, with perhaps only one an hour giving full details.  I would also like to see some commentary on who's catching who etc.  This may be difficult if you're sat in a studio, but often Le Mans is a series of races within races.  Its more complicated than football.

One problem may be that when nothing's happening, there is the choice of waffle or silence.  If something exciting is actually happening, but you don't know, then the waffle makes the presenter look stupid.

Generally, we'd be lost without RLM, and we're grateful for the service.  A little more modulation would help, as the transmission is quiet compared to the adjacent French stations.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2006, 01:27:47 pm »

Just catching up on this thread, Oldtimer, just to go back to your very first post, if you left your radio in the hotel and missed the RML broadcast, how can you have any sort of informed and balanced opinion of the quality of their race coverage from RLM?
Secondly, the big screens (of which there seemed to be more of this year) still provide a regular listing of positions - but no running commentary, apart from the English PA updates, in both cases you had to be in the right place at the right time to see  / listen to them.
This was my 5th LM, and as others have stated, when we get in reception range, just to the north of LM, we know we are there, RLM is a part of LM and long may it continue.
We don’t all live in your perfect world, RLM have moved to a harsh commercial environment from what could be termed as "enthusiastic amateurs".

Clearly your "Oldtimer" screen name is a cover pseudonym, just used to have an unfair pop and maybe wind a few people up - unfortunately the CA forum is very widely read and stupid unfounded comments get more exposure than they deserve.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 03:51:39 pm by Ian.............. » Logged
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2006, 02:00:24 pm »

Clearly your "Oldtimer" screen name is a cover pseudonym, just used to have an unfair pop and maybe wind a few people up - unfortunately the CA forum is very widely read and stupid unfounded comments get more exposure than they deserve. Stop being so gutless and post under your real name and say something sensible D******D.  

Easy Tiger, Oldtimer's enititled to his say. Lets not turn this interesting and so far staying on Topic debate into a slanging match.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people and regard RLM as one of the many things that make my week. As for the hourly update, I find it suits my needs. It goes without saying a lot is happening in the race and giving the update on up to 50 cars (with perhaps 55 next year after the pit extension) would take about 15mins +, never mind what else is happening. I think that a few more better placed big screens would be the better option. And for those that think John and his crew prattle on, try listening to David Duffield commenting on a long stage in Le Tour de France. Now thats prattling (although i do enjoy it). Oh and Mr Hindhaugh, will £20 get us an 'brought to you in association with Club Arnage' item next year.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2006, 02:13:50 pm »

I think the problem with the Hourly Update is that if you are following one of the smaller teams (in our case our friends at Rollcentre) or a not quite on the pace Saleen then it can get quite annoying as the only way to find out what is happening to them is to get to a big screen,  which if you are not at the circuit is impossible!  and not all of us stay trackside for the whole 24 hrs to keep track of every car! Being a bit old for camping we stayed at a hotel 20 mins or so from the track and i listened for half an hour on Sunday morning but there were no updates! So maybe keep the current top 10 plus top three in each class on the half hour (or hour) and then at (say) 15 mins past the hour do the retirements, and 15 mins to the hour give an update on those that are having problems,  that way everyone knows at what time they need to be listening.

And another thankyou to Hindy for speaking up,  I think most of us wouldn't be without RLM,  it is an institution these days and I can remember the old timing screens and pre-RLM days, as well as the early days of RLM.  Maybe it's because we love RLM so much that we are quick to critisise!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Christopher
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

To add speed, just add lightness.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2006, 02:21:50 pm »

I have read all the comments in this thread and the other / original thread, and would like to add my thoughts and comments.

I am not going to criticise individuals because I do not know enough about them or the actual physical running of RLM.

My only comments are:

1) the updates were often late, or interrupted and then not returned to;
2) often, watching from trackside, it was obvious there were cars on the move and this did not appear in the commentary;
3) incidents involving cars often went unreported, even though I knew it had happened;
4) the updates form the pits are good and informative;
5) the personal chat I found annoying.

Points 1), 4) and 5) I think are down to RLM directly and the team who put it together…..maybe it is something they can continue or improve on for next year.

Points 2) and 3) may have more to do with the information RLM receive, but surely they can see the timing screens and TV broadcasts. But maybe this has more to do with information from trackside itself. Is it the ACO that provides the actual track information or is it something the fans can contribute to?

This was my tenth visit to Le Mans, and in summary I would be lost without RLM, but at the same time some of the non-race content is just frustrating.

No doubt I will be listening again next year, because round at Arnage, Mulsanne, Porsche curves, etc. where there is not the large TV screens, RLM is the only way of getting the faintest idea what is unfolding.

I am surprised that the ACO does not 'contribute' more to the RLM team, in both finances and resources and support. Surely the ACO realises they need something like RLM to reach the existing fans and draw in new ones……or maybe they don't.

Le Mans is for the week......not just 24hrs!

When life throws you lemons, bring out the tequila!!

Vodka! Cheaper than Botox and paralyses more muscles!
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2006, 02:39:46 pm »

I have read all the comments in this thread and the other / original thread, and would like to add my thoughts and comments.

I am not going to criticise individuals because I do not know enough about them or the actual physical running of RLM.

My only comments are:

1) the updates were often late, or interrupted and then not returned to;
2) often, watching from trackside, it was obvious there were cars on the move and this did not appear in the commentary;
3) incidents involving cars often went unreported, even though I knew it had happened;
4) the updates form the pits are good and informative;
5) the personal chat I found annoying.

Points 1), 4) and 5) I think are down to RLM directly and the team who put it together…..maybe it is something they can continue or improve on for next year.

Points 2) and 3) may have more to do with the information RLM receive, but surely they can see the timing screens and TV broadcasts. But maybe this has more to do with information from trackside itself. Is it the ACO that provides the actual track information or is it something the fans can contribute to?

This was my tenth visit to Le Mans, and in summary I would be lost without RLM, but at the same time some of the non-race content is just frustrating.

No doubt I will be listening again next year, because round at Arnage, Mulsanne, Porsche curves, etc. where there is not the large TV screens, RLM is the only way of getting the faintest idea what is unfolding.

I am surprised that the ACO does not 'contribute' more to the RLM team, in both finances and resources and support. Surely the ACO realises they need something like RLM to reach the existing fans and draw in new ones……or maybe they don't.

Good post!
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2006, 02:44:39 pm »

OK, my thoughts and I'll admit that I haven't read much of this thread and only read the first few posts on the other thread and didn't have the time or inclination to post.

Firstly I like RLM, try going to the Spa 24 and having the first clue about what is going on.  It's virtually impossible and very frustrating.    

However, I found this year that there seemed to be a lot less commentary, I'd really like it to be more like the soundtrack to one of Hindy's ALMS commentaries.  I'm sure it's much more difficult - i'm not even sure if you get host broadcast pictures so maybe this is not possible?  

I quite like the chit-chat, but not for too long, there were times when I really wanted to know what was happening on the track not what was going on in the studio.  

There also seemed to be quite a lot of repeating of interviews but perhaps that matches the nature of the beast where people tune in and out so might have missed an interview first time round?

I didn't hear any commentary for the support races, I'm sure in previous years we've had "proper" commentary on what is on track for these races?  

There was clearly a lot of plugging for the sponsors and touting for new sponsors, at one point it seemed to be a "lets find the furthest away/most bizzare listeners and make sure we plug our geographical spread", but the harsh reality is that RLM requires funding and in their position I would be doing the same thing.   I heard many fewer requests from the campsites than I've heard in previous years and I like to hear from the punters on the ground.  

It did seem different this year and I'd like to see RLM going back to basics, more commentary, more updates, more stuff for the real race fans (I realise that these are in shorter supply at LM these days!).

Hindy's commentary is great, I'd have liked him to have more opportunity to commentate, Trussers is a walking encylopedia and is good to listen to.  

I missed Neville Hay though...... Sad
ukchopper
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2006, 03:09:59 pm »

We were lucky enough to be sitting next to Graham and Charles (2 of the RLM team) on the ferry coming home. Very interesting and knowlegeable chaps, quite happy to chat despite them being totally shattered.

One thing people may not realise is quite how hard they work and how underfunded they are. I can't quite believe that the ACO do not invest more in them. To have people  be suggesting such negatives is a real shame as we should be supporting and encouraging these chaps. If people have issues with certain ways things are done, RLM are friendly and approachable - indeed they want feedback to improve in coming years. Just my two penneth...
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2006, 03:42:45 pm »

So maybe keep the current top 10 plus top three in each class on the half hour (or hour) and then at (say) 15 mins past the hour do the retirements, and 15 mins to the hour give an update on those that are having problems,  that way everyone knows at what time they need to be listening.

I think this is an excellent suggestion.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2006, 04:50:26 pm »

Hindy makes an excellent response, as do subsequent posters. I have to say over the years I've been logging on to CA, this thread has eventually become possibly the best thought through and argued that I can recall in a long time. Many of the points are exceptionally well put. The fact that we are having a high quality debate proves one thing; people on CA care about RLM and it's output.

Other than that, I would just pick up on a couple of areas:

In the original (locked) thread I said I though some of the earlier posts were OTT, and I still do; but IMHO I don't think they were actually "vitriolic" (to quote Hindy).

Strictly from a listener's perspective, there seemed to be quite a few technical problems this year. Whilst this is expected with OB, I can't agree with Hindy here and his alleged perfection on this score. We found the Dr Bez interview really quite embarassing and turned off! It put me in mind of the disastrous 1970's F1 TV interview that often comes up on It'll Be Alright on the Night, where there is limited satellite time, which ultimately cuts out just as they manage to get the interview started. And I'm not really interested in the online streaming aspect because I'm at the track and not in my bedroom in Dullsville, Arizona.

I agree about the lack of discipline during the Hourly Summary. Even on the most hotly debated Saturday Soccer Show, the BBC always take five minutes to have the Classified Results read out in a sober manner by Tim Gudgin. I think the same rigour should be applied by RLM.

Other than that, I say good on RLM and all it's staff. Hindy probably thinks we're all a bunch of tossers, but it's nice to see him here on CA anyhow. And as a community, I hope CA can contribute in some small way to helping RLM to future success.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: