Club Arnage
July 05, 2024, 11:19:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie needs advice for 2007  (Read 6850 times)
insta.gator
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2006, 10:56:05 pm »

Greetings all!

A buddy and I are planning on crossing the pond to attend the 2007 race.  I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.  I'm not really even sure where to start preparing.  Been to Sebring and Petit le Mans many times but this is all new for me.

- Are the race dates available for 2007 yet?
-For someone traveling light to France (by air), does it make any sense to even attempt to camp or should I try to find a hotel?  If the hotel is the route to go, any suggestions as to where?  Particular hotel suggestions?
-Can I order tickets for 2007 now?  How, where? 
-Is it recommended to rent a car or should I try to take public transportation?

Thanks for any and all help. 

-Gator
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 11:53:00 pm »

You tell me the answers for Sebring, and I'm more than happy to help.

Are you there for the week or just the race.  What are you prepared to suffer?

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 01:13:04 am »

Greetings all!

A buddy and I are planning on crossing the pond to attend the 2007 race.  I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.  I'm not really even sure where to start preparing.  Been to Sebring and Petit le Mans many times but this is all new for me.

-For someone traveling light to France (by air), does it make any sense to even attempt to camp or should I try to find a hotel?  If the hotel is the route to go, any suggestions as to where?  Particular hotel suggestions?

-Gator

I'm sure others willl chip in but in answer to your questions in order:

1. Race dates for 2007 are not yet declared. some say it is the 24th weekend but I'm not totally sure. The ACO normally firms up in late autumn (fall).

2. Hotels for anywhere even within a 50Km radius of the circuit are probably already booked out, not to say you shouldn't give it a try but in my experience anywhere worth staying is already gone. You should not disregard the camping option as there are many on this forum who I'm sure would be willing to help out.

3. If you are serious about coming over get your ticket and camping booking done NOW. A lot of us on this forum (and a lot of others) have already placed ticket orders for next year. If you want particular tickets such as certain campsites or grandstands it's the only chance. I had a look at the ACO website but there doesn't seem to be a booking form available currently. This is the usual approach taken by many of us. Try e-mailing to ticket@lemans.org with your requirements.

4. I have no experience of renting vehicles or public transport but understand that both options have been done by contributors to this forum. I'm sure someone will post recommendations soon.

Whatever, get your booking in and just make sure you make it over. However you do it you won't regret it.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 08:24:08 am »

or should I try to find a hotel?  If the hotel is the route to go, any suggestions as to where?  Particular hotel suggestions?

-Gator
Hotel - go to "lestroisjours.com" for details of a great b&b run by  a Scots mate of mine - not booked up yet, I know.  Route from here to the circuit is quick and easy (took us 35 minutes door to door on race Sat this year). 
 You can hire a car at most airports but be advised that diesel (dirty word after the Audi result, I know but you have to be practical) is about 20% cheaper here so my advice would be always to hire an oil-burner.  However, it's probably better to take the train from a Paris airport to Le Mans and hire there as Paris is a nightmare to drive around.  Car rental companies who operate here include NovaCarHire.com, RentalCarGroup.com and carrentals.co.uk - suspect though that like hotels etc they are pretty well subscribed for race week so you might like to book those early too.

You can get general entrance tickets on the day, no probs.  Granstand ticekts are in short supply and are often all booked up over the race week itself for the following year but the "Sell or Swap" thread here is pretty helpful.

And don't forget - read Werner's guide for all you need to know about the race/getting here/ etc etc .. invaluable. (see "CA 2006 guide ready for download" in the General Discussion thread)

See you in 07 Smiley
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 08:38:53 am by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 11:04:18 am »

Greetings all!

-Gator

Hi inst.gator

I would go for the campsite option, great atmosphere on all campsites. Just buy the cheapest tent, sleeping bag or blanket and air matress after your arrival in a shop in Le Mans, e.g. in Carrefour superstore, will cost you an estimate 150 USD complete. Just leave it there after the race or give it away to someone. Even if you add it together with the campsite fee this might still work out cheaper than several days of hotel accomodation and its much more fun. But, as Pretzel wrote, book your campsite ticket NOW! An email to ticket@lemans.org works usually fine.

Cheers

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
scotto
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 10:39:36 pm »

insta.gator:
Camping is the way to go.  Plenty of campsites, but the good ones sell out early. For late arrivals there is
always Beausejour or Technopark.   A rental car can be expensive.  Expect about 200 euros for a weeks rental and
petrol is 1.44 euro a liter, with gasoil ( diesel ) about .20 cheaper.  When you do the conversions from liter to
gallon, and euro to US $, thats almost $7 US a gallon!!  Ask for a diesel at rental time.    Thrify.com,  sixt.com, ada.com

You can take the train to Le Mans from Paris, and rent a car at the railway station, or you could rent a car at
CDG aeroport in Paris.       Le Mans has good bus transport, and a tram to the circuit from the town center will
be done, so you can get by without a car, but  a car is handy to lock your valuables away. 
insta.gator
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 03:00:11 pm »

Greetings all!

-Gator

Hi inst.gator

I would go for the campsite option, great atmosphere on all campsites. Just buy the cheapest tent, sleeping bag or blanket and air matress after your arrival in a shop in Le Mans, e.g. in Carrefour superstore, will cost you an estimate 150 USD complete. Just leave it there after the race or give it away to someone. Even if you add it together with the campsite fee this might still work out cheaper than several days of hotel accomodation and its much more fun. But, as Pretzel wrote, book your campsite ticket NOW! An email to ticket@lemans.org works usually fine.

Cheers

Werner

Wow!  Thanks for the excellent advice from everyone. 

Couple of additional questions:
Are there different levels of campsite tickets or is it one size fits all?  Is there a preferred camping area?  Areas to avoid?  Is the camping ticket the same as the admission ticket or do you have to buy one of each?  Can you camp and also gain admission to the grandstands?  At the ALMS races here you can roam the track with a general admission ticket.

Thanks!!

-Gator
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:16:25 pm »

Hi Mr Gator,

There are different camp sites but not different 'levels' as you put it. Different sites have different facilities (and prices) and some sites are more popular than others.

For a thorough description of each site take a look at Werners guide as mentioned in an earlier posting - you really must download this work as it will probably answer a whole heap of other questions you have not yet thought of. Click on this link and enjoy: http://www.lemanszone.de/caguide2006.html

Camping tickets are separate from general admission tickets and grandstand tickets also have to be ordered separately. The general admission allows you into all public areas of the track, except the grandstands and paid-for hospitality areas.

Whatever you do get your order in NOW with the ACO if you want any chance of getting something close to your requirements.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 04:08:19 pm »

You tell me the answers for Sebring, and I'm more than happy to help.

Are you there for the week or just the race.  What are you prepared to suffer?

Lorry if you any help with Sebring planning let me know I will be glad to help.

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 04:19:03 pm »

Mr.Gator made the trip this year for the first time myself.I would suggest camping on Maison Blanc.There are plenty of CAmembers there that I sure could provide assistance.I do recommend renting a car for shopping runs,trip to the drivers parade etc.

My group stayed with Drinking For Holland and Team JP Chenet.Had the time of my life.I would suggest this trip as a MUST DO.

If I can be of any help feel to pm me.

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 09:54:16 pm »

No Randy, Maison Blanche is a dreadful campsite, you wouldn't want to encourage anyone to go there at all  Roll Eyes
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 08:39:08 am »

No Randy, Maison Blanche is a dreadful campsite, you wouldn't want to encourage anyone to go there at all  Roll Eyes

Agreed.  You'll never run into anyone handing out cold Stella, a White Sox fan, or someone to chastise you for using mastic on your beer mountain.  Wink

After sitting in Paris traffic, our group decided that it will be the train next time (whenever that is), possibly renting a car in Le Mans.  Pack light and you can fit everything in a large backpack.  (6000 cu.in, minimum).  If you can do without a car, you can save yourself the $100-$200 for a camping ticket, also.  Heck, with the $400 you'll save on car rental/camping/gas, you could hire a limousine to take you to the supermarket.  Grin

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 04:46:35 pm »

check out SpeedChills.com

have camped in most sites over the years, and now always opt for Beausejour .

Simply because it's not such a bad location as some would have you believe and  Speedchills is adjacent to where we camp, and they provide shelter, cold beer, tea/coffee, good food all day from breakfast to dinner, big screen tv, live bands, clean toilets etc all for £20.  Most important of all in my opinion is the shelter. LM in last few years has been sweltering, but when it rains, it really does and can make life very miserable.  So having the shelter is a win win.

as a campsite, it's less rowdy than others, is tree lined, adjacent to the Porsche curves and woodland which backs onto the track (ideal for qualifying viewing).
insta.gator
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 03:40:49 pm »

Mr.Gator made the trip this year for the first time myself.I would suggest camping on Maison Blanc.There are plenty of CAmembers there that I sure could provide assistance.I do recommend renting a car for shopping runs,trip to the drivers parade etc.

My group stayed with Drinking For Holland and Team JP Chenet.Had the time of my life.I would suggest this trip as a MUST DO.

If I can be of any help feel to pm me.

Placed order for tickets and a Maison Blanc camping pass today.  Thanks for all the excellent advice from everyone.  The 72 page Not For Dummies guide is fantastic.  Much appreciated.

As for the camping a Maison Blanc, I assume it is a fairly large camping area.  Should I try to grab a site in any particular area of MB?  Do the CA'ers try to stay together?  Are some areas more or less rowdy than others?  I assume it is like Sebring where there are areas that party (loudly) 24 hours a day.  I'm too old to do that anymore.    Grin

Thanks!!

-Gator
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 04:08:20 pm »

Are some areas more or less rowdy than others?  I assume it is like Sebring where there are areas that party (loudly) 24 hours a day.  I'm too old to do that anymore.    Grin

Thanks!!

-Gator

I suggest you get a hotel. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: