Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 01:28:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The French way  (Read 6131 times)
Lancs Se7en
CA Veteran

I love it sideways

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2006, 01:36:39 pm »

We The LADS had a great time this year and having got back and begun to settle into the same old routine I've reflected upon a number of things that really impressed me this year about the way the French seem to do things.

No super markets open on Sunday, at least that what it seemed to us so less traffic and a more relaxing Sunday.

Dont know about late or all night stints.

No plastic bags to pack your supplies in at Carrefour so less pollution

loads and loads of fresh stuff at the supermarket, plenty of choice of what seemed good quality fruit etc.

Very relaxed attitude towards us lot invading their country, no aggro in spite of some provocation,

Nicely cooked food outside of the circuit at reasonable prices.

Booze and cheese and pate at simply the best prices and lots of choice

Relaxed traffic cops, at least thats what we reckoned.

General prices that seemed to easily compete with the UK

All in all it has a lot going for it or is that just a reflection on a great week away.?  Grin Grin

Does it really only have full throttle
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 03:12:55 pm »

It calls you doesn't it?

Ask termietermite why she lives there, I bet you have listed at least some of the reasons...

I could shoot off like a shot. Just a language to relearn!

(Should have tried harder to do the words instead of watching the mademoiselle's legs during "French Conversation", penalty of being at a boys only school!)

Embarrassed

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
BryanC
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 05:52:01 pm »

Yep - that goes a long way towards countering  the Pikey problems reported on another web-site.

I remarked to my mates that there was very little litter ( because people were picking it up ), grass verges were being cut - even out in the middle of nowhere, planting beds were not vandalised and were watered frequently ( are you listening Thames Water ) and everything seemed to be working.

I passed some one-way road workings south of Falaise - the old surface was far better than you see in Blitey and it goes on and on. Not forgetting the new motorway now opened past le Mans. 4 hours underground parking in central LM cost 2 Euros.

We all cursed the traffic disruption in the Centre, but the tramway system will be first class and integrated with the other services including a new developmnet outside of the main station.

I don't mind paying taxes if the system works as it seems to do over there.

In Angry Old Man mood. Regards, Bryan C.

...and even the crumpet looked better too !!!!

And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 06:06:57 pm »

Well, it may be that the great week gives you rose tinted glasses but after 6 trips to LM when discussing the possibilty of (very) early retirement, we realised we could afford to live here (low house prices) and had the same thought - was it just the great 24 hrs that made this place seem as great as it did?  I can honestly say, that it does not go once you're here.  Life is like that 52 weeks a year and that circuit's just 30 mins down the road!  We frequently toast each other in the evenings while we sit on our (huge!) lawn in the evenings by the BBQ and say "life's sh*t isn't it?"  It truly is.
Vive la France.  (Not to say I don't love Britain too, I do.  I ALSO MISS THE BEER.  Hint - anybody coming here, a carry keg with a couple of pints of the real brown stuff....) Grin Grin Grin

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 12:57:10 am »

hey guys I've travelled all over France and I have to say they DO have the good life once you get away from the citys life is good we have so much to learn or has it been forgotten I dont know ? all I know is I've read " a year in Provence" so many times and wished that was me and would move like a shot unfortunatly erindoors thinks that the center of the universe is Wimborne !!!! oh well we can all dream  Cry Cry Cry

been there done that doing it again !
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:12:01 am »

here here to that I love france and would go tomorrow.
Work for myself and mostly online so could survive there, but Mrs VQDave ain't so keen. But hey blighty isn't so bad, and wokingham is a nice place to live so life here is not so bad.

Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 11:20:37 am »

here here to that I love france and would go tomorrow.
Work for myself and mostly online so could survive there, but Mrs VQDave ain't so keen.

I retire in about 7½ years and have on many occassions suggested the move. Even bring the property ags on my return. But like Mrs VQDave, Mrs Stu is so keen either. For me it would be that extra bit of warmth, cheap wine and less of a drive in a certain month every year. I'm going to try the 7½ year dripping tap method starting with a week away in August.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:23:09 am by Stu » Logged
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 11:25:23 am »

Tell me about it!!

I had been planning to move to France for 2 years, even bought a house last Aug in Dordogne.  Problem was that we couldn't sell the house here, and then, as some of you know, our problems really started.  End of feb, Mrs D stated she didn't want to go anymore, so I have had to scrap all the plans.  C'est la vie!

As an update to those aware of my problems, I had a letter from my solicitor last thursday to say the people did not have a leg to stand on and I should just go down and get the caravan - if I have any problems, to call the gendarmes.  So I'm making a quick 1200 mile round trip to Dordogne this coming weekend to go and get it.

Not looking forward to it, but at least I get the van back.

The final battle is to get the deposit back, but that looks like it is going to court.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 11:35:29 am »

I have been to France many times and have never experienced anything but good service, good food and general politeness.  I spent a weekend in Lille last year and lost an expensive watch, 5 days later it was returned to me by the hotel after a maid found it behind a bedside cabinet. I doubt a maid in an English hotel would clean behind a bedside cabinet let alone return anything found behind it.

As stated Earlier the supermarkets leave anything in England badly lacking in variety and freshness. Someone metioned the free water at the peague, I can't imagine that ever happening over here.

The residents of Le Mans put up with a British invasion every June and have to put up with a lot of loutish behaviour and, from what I have seen over the past few years, more and more incidents like the idiots trying to push over stone figure on HA roundabout. Still they welcome us back.

It seems to be a British passtime knocking the French, sure they have thier faults like all of us but if these French haters would take the time to visit and enjoy the country and her people perhaps they would change their minds.

Vive La France
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 12:18:27 pm by BOB U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 12:16:13 pm »

I all agree with you.. I suppose jersey is like france in a few ways.. part of normandy when you got a spanking in 1066 (i suppose technically we own you??).

I am looking to buy in france at some point (my mother and step father retired to near mont st michel 17 years ago and still love it) and hopefully will find somewhere about 30 mins south (ish) of Rennes so only a 1 1/2 hr drive from st malo for the weekend trips etc.. then hopefully move full time.

Vive le joie de vivre!!! or something like that Grin
Andy

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 03:50:21 pm »

When you've all sorted out your wives' education - Mrs & Mr Termie look forward to the invasion!  Nous ne regretons rien....

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 05:21:16 pm »

As an update to those aware of my problems, I had a letter from my solicitor last thursday to say the people did not have a leg to stand on and I should just go down and get the caravan - if I have any problems, to call the gendarmes.  So I'm making a quick 1200 mile round trip to Dordogne this coming weekend to go and get it.

Not looking forward to it, but at least I get the van back.

The final battle is to get the deposit back, but that looks like it is going to court.

Del

Glad to hear it's working out at long last Del. But with the current price of petrol surely it would be cheaper just to buy a Commer off of eBay and abandon the other one in France? Grin
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 05:23:40 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 05:27:22 pm »

Glad to hear it's working out at long last Del. But with the current price of petrol surely it would be cheaper just to buy a Commer off of eBay and abandon the other one in France? Grin

Appreciate your thoughts Andy but firstly I'm on diesel - paid 1.06 per litre last week and secondly, it's £10k's worth of 'van and contents.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 06:23:54 pm »

You guys should ask Termie how much it is to tax and insure his vehicles every year against what it cost here...... another reason to bail out of the uk rip-off gov/police/tax state  Shocked Shocked Shocked

alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 06:27:32 pm »

Forgot to say we are too soft here....we all moan and mutter but do nothing, in france when fuel cost are put up everybody blocks the roads and les flics stand-by and watch.........vive la revolution  Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: