Club Arnage
September 27, 2024, 11:26:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Le Mans - who needs it  (Read 21743 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 06:56:59 pm »

I was listening on Friday afternoon and RLM did, indeed, do some sort of campsite tour.

Must of missed that, did not see them on the Houx annexe did they make it that far?

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Dewcrew

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 10:09:03 pm »

For someone stuck on the wrong side of the Atlantic, I enjoyed the broadcast all week.  I did not listen to it during the race so I can not comment about that. I was watching th TV broadcast.  Just hearing the noise of the cars in the background was great.  As well as the info on practice and qualif.  The interviews in the camping area was a riot as well.  You Brit fans are a hoot.

The best part of the weekend?  Trying to talk the bartender at the bar I was at to switch off the NASCAR Busch race and put on Le Mans.   Shocked
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 11:26:10 pm »

Personally I wouldn't be without RLM and find it offers an excellent service although mujst admit I thought last years coverage was very poor, but this years slightly better.

Wouldn't it be better to email Radio Le Mans with constructive comments about their coverage?

Part of the problem I suspect is the need to fund the broadcast and it would be interesting to know what the costs are and who gets paid for it.

But if you want a full hourly update why not email them and tell them?  Alternatively see if we could raise the money to sponsor it!
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 12:11:42 am »

I know they probably get a lot of revenue from the web, but a shorter run down of the field on the hour would be good. In a slight coma on sunday, i would concentrate on trying to listen to the hourly update, but would soon tune out.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 02:13:33 am »

Wow, how times change. I haven't really figured out how to use the search facility - but there have been a few threads on the pro's and cons of Radio Le Mans. I have to say I was a critic of the medium - and was roundly chastised for my view that John Hindh.... you know, that mackem twat, didn't know sh*t from shinola and just waffled unadulterated bollocks for 4 days. I know feel somewhat smug.
His classic quote, "I think the Porsche may be in trouble - the mechanics are looking at... you know... that metal thingy...."
As it turned out, this year the RLM webcast was my only live info source, when Speed Channel wasn't broadcasting. It was better than nowt.
You don't have to listen to it for chrissakes.     

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 09:24:27 am »

When RLM first broadcast it provided a refreshing alternative to the PA and info screens and did give interesting additional information and quickly became part of the whole 'Le Mans weekend'.  The problem is its continuing general decline in standards and their apparrent disregard for the needs of the trackside fans.

Unfortunatley this seemed to coincide (more or less) with the removal from the remoter parts of the circuit of said info screens so many of us were 'forced' to rely on RLM for race info.  This resulted more in a captive audience rather than an audience of people choosing to listen.  I suspect this drove the change to tedious, sychophantic corporate flag waving broadcasting.

But Matt you are right we don't have to continue to listen.  I won't. RLM is cr*p
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 09:45:44 am »

Not having any past experience other that the last three years at LM, I found the hourly updates usefull as they don't have handouts/TV monitors or PA systems in the camp sites.
Does anyone here have the technology to compete with Radio Le Mans.

Judging by DFH and Werners efforts and with all of us as potential trackside correspondants how does "Radio Club Arnage" sound as an idea?
I wouldn't have the slightest idea about the logistics though.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 09:51:42 am »

I am pretty sure that John H is a Pistonhead and that his e-mail address is on the site.  Calls himself "the voice of LM" I believe!!  Maybe we should e-mail him and get him to read some of the comments on this site.  (maybe he already does?)
Radio CA sounds a great idea to me. 

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 11:40:24 am »

You don't have to listen to it for chrissakes.     
Exactly. RLM used to give accurate information and we tended to put up with the twaddle from Hindhaugh and chums. Now only the twaddle remains.
Today RLM belongs with the Autosport LM guide - excess baggage.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 11:51:47 am »

I would add that RLM is a free-to-user service and has to be paid for by the advertising. I'd be surprised if it even breaks even. The commentators get paid precisely jack sh*t. On the other hand, the Autosport LM guide is done specifically to make money by the lazy, greedy, publishers.

On that basis, I'm much more inclined to forgive RLM it's erring ways. Some of the criticism here is way OTT. RLM do their best with limited resourses. Some people will complain about anything, even an optional free service; I'd like to see them do better!  Angry  For God's sake, as has been said already, if you don't like it then don't bloody well listen.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 12:13:07 pm »

Agree Andy. A fair job on limited rescourse, what do people expect of RLM, a horse race type commentary?

I agree that the content could be a whole lot better but without walking up to the ACO building every hour where else would we get the hourly updates.

One thing, I did get pissed off with "She sells sanctuary", Change the bloody record

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 12:54:55 pm »

I would add that RLM is a free-to-user service and has to be paid for by the advertising. I'd be surprised if it even breaks even. The commentators get paid precisely jack sh*t. On the other hand, the Autosport LM guide is done specifically to make money by the lazy, greedy, publishers.

On that basis, I'm much more inclined to forgive RLM it's erring ways. Some of the criticism here is way OTT. RLM do their best with limited resourses. Some people will complain about anything, even an optional free service; I'd like to see them do better!  Angry  For God's sake, as has been said already, if you don't like it then don't bloody well listen.
Andy, the point is that RLM once provided a superb service. They don't anymore. Neither does the Autosport guide. End of story.
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 01:01:42 pm »

I won't stop listening to Radio Le Mans however thats not to say I wouldn't say there were aspects that could be improved.  Having said that those posting here are presumably only a small selection of the listeners.

The advertisers will want the widest possible take up of the boradcast, to maximise their exposure and the better the broadcast the more listeners and in theory the greater the advertising revenue.

There is no point though stating that "Radio Le Mas is crap" without adding additional information as to why, or what would make it better.

If everyones views were collated to show what people don;t like, and what they do like, and what they would like as well or instead of the existing broadcast then this information could be sent to RLM, and who knows may be taken on-board.

Perhaps I should compile something and sent it off to them!
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2006, 01:06:16 pm »

I have e-mailed them and suggested they look at some of the comments on this site.
For me please : Roundup of who's where, right from the leaders to the end, including at least top 3 class positions, and who's out and why, every half hour.  No interuptions from other people in the studio while this is going on.  The rest of the time, they can do and say whatever they like as far as I am concerned.
Will no doubt continue to listen when I'm out of contact with the race (eating, driving out to Mulsanne, etc) but certainly do so less and less these days as they chat to each other so much about things that are not related to the action on track.
Things I like : pit lane reports.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2006, 01:59:22 pm »

Well said termietermite,  the lack of info on who is doing what in the race was the bggest disappointment for me, with regular info updates the rest is sorta acceptable to me.

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: