Club Arnage
June 28, 2024, 01:20:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Village.  (Read 14143 times)
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2006, 09:38:03 pm »

Well what do we think about it?

Personally I thought it looked good and was well done. More choice of eating , more Bars improved toilets and even Showers! However these were out of action by Sunday afternoon.

Its clear that this has been done to attract even bigger crowds and more commerce. Which will put even more pressure on the camping so possibly some white paint may find its way into the popular trackside sites.

But I didn't manage to find the office which gave out the hourly update sheets though! anyone else have this problem?
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 10:15:27 pm »

The first thing Nopanic said as we entered the village on Thursday evening was"Blooming hell we're in Milton Keynes".

Typically french.....All glass and concrete!!!!!

Yes it's certainly different,but I guess it is called  progress even though the old village had much more character.

The worrying thing though is the amount of spectating areas that have now dissapeared around the new village area!!!

Wishy

Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 12:26:00 am »

But I didn't manage to find the office which gave out the hourly update sheets though! anyone else have this problem?

It was there fronting the access road to the tunnel. come through the tunnel and it was on the right.

Still not sure about the new village, seems more corporate, which is not good news I suspect.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:47:23 am »

The new village appears to driven the people away that I always bought my t shirts from. The people with the shop that sells t shirts, badges and models from the old huts.

Perhaps its too pricey now.
20vmk2_dub

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 12:06:21 pm »

I thought it looked very good and as for spectating area's I seemed to think there were a lot of new banks that had been built this year....

just hope the whole le mans thing doesnt get to F1 money led as that will be a sad day.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:58:55 pm »

I agree after many a year of prefab timber shacks and sheds, it was a pleasant surprise to see the wide open modern spaces and new buildings.

A positive improvement, I say.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Fax
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 09:04:32 pm »

But Steve does it have the character of the old village or does it look like another cement, glass, and steel strip-mall.  Man guys, gotta tell ya, from the TV coverage the whole damn place looks horribly fricking sterile.
Between the concrete walls, acres of gravel, debris fencing, and razor wire the place looks as charming as a concentration camp.
Fax
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 09:17:23 pm »

On early sunday morning the village looked bizarre. There were these shiny new pavements all littered with sleeping people. It was quite a picture. 

Apart from that the new village takes up some spectator space (which is bad). The poo bar moved away from the tunnel (which helps the traffic but gives less opportunity to T.W.A.T.S. sticker up by coming cars). There are too many shops which sell useless stuff (bad) and not enough drink and food bars (bad).

I found it interesting but didn't like it.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 09:21:56 pm »

Didn't like it, far too boring, no character, it would make a good army camp though!

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
Fax
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 09:39:32 pm »

Chris,
I did talk to Jacque and Lilliane at Mid-Ohio and asked them what they thought of the new village and they said they weren't going to be there anymore, got the impression the ACO is really sticking it to the vendors.
Fax
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 09:41:29 pm »

Didn't like it, far too boring, no character, it would make a good army camp though!

sounds like Milton Keynes again

If you're going through hell, keep going.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 11:08:03 pm »

I'll reserve judgement until it's finished.  They certainly worked their socks off to produce something given the amount of work they had to do between the end of proceedings last season (LM story) and the race.  Certainly the French punters seem to hate it, looking at the comments on the ACO website.  I really missed the little guy who used to sell stacks of obscure t-shirts etc - he was always good for a bit of retail therapy.  Much better loos though!

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 11:31:43 pm »

I missed the opportunity to slope off discretely to the Beer Bar next door at the poo bar, but it may all settle down.

Had to nip into the "Espace" for it.

I also missed some of the lower priced retail therapy outlets though, too.

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
JT
CA Veteran

Roughton Gentleman's Club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 12:05:44 am »

Pretty good for work in progress I thought. It was nice to walk around without running the risk of being flattened by a testosterone fuelled scooter driven by an acne ridden gofer. (Have I had a problem in the past?) On a slightly different tack was anyone else pissed off with always having to get out of the way of an Audi taxi (or VW minibus). They were everywhere, seemingly only with one passenger (the cars) or a couple (the minibuses). The highest number I saw on a windscreen was 78 so I assume that there were at least that many. I saw one convoy across the airfield, including a Bentley Continental, of at least 6 cars, all with one passenger in the back. What's the point of stressing the economy of diesels if you need one for each passenger? And are Audi's guests unable to walk? The bloody things seemed to be everywhere.

Scrambles off high horse and skuttles back into his corner.

JT
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 12:08:21 am »

Gilles and I worked on a stand in the old Village a few years ago. The site was so bad that we and our neighbours demanded - and got - a refund from the ACO. The new Village offers a decent crack at the punters to all standholders. The place looks a bit sterile when its empty, but during the race it hums, even at 2.00am Sunday.
Decent loos are a real bonus. Missed the Vendee food stand, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: