Club Arnage
June 23, 2024, 04:35:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dodge vipers  (Read 20930 times)
paultarsey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 12:44:27 pm »

Yeah OK.  Sort of forgot the Jags!  Do you remember the really cool BRG one that TWR ran in 1987(?) for, amongst others, Jeff Krosnoff?  It was the year when they entered five cars.

I was at the Goodwood FoS and saw a Rothmans 962 and came over all wistful.  I really never thought that it could happen.  Do you think we will get watery eyed over the Bentley/Audi in years to come?

The Old Git
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 02:26:44 pm »

I was at the Goodwood FoS and saw a Rothmans 962 and came over all wistful.  I really never thought that it could happen.  Do you think we will get watery eyed over the Bentley/Audi in years to come?

The Old Git

Yup spect so...I always thought the Bentley was a really pretty car regardless of the fact that we all knew it was a green Audi Cheesy
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 02:58:17 pm »

I know it has been said already, but for me personally the Tom Walkinshaw era Jags have a special place in my affections.

A relative of mine was involved in the selling of TWR assests for the receiver after the company's demise...

Just showing me the pictures of various XJR 9s, 11s etc in differing states of 'undress' being made ready for sale and filling an entire warehouse was enough to set me off on a wave of nostalgia... those were the days when the crew I visited Le Mans with each year was at its largest... the passage of time since having reduced numbers somewhat.  Still, I and other member of the crew have now introduced the latest generation of Le Mans visitors.

I doubt though that they will view the Audi's with the same affection I view the Jags...

Do German fans of Le Mans feel towards Audi the way we Brits felt towards those TWR Jags..?
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 03:15:07 pm »

I know it has been said already, but for me personally the Tom Walkinshaw era Jags have a special place in my affections.

A relative of mine was involved in the selling of TWR assests for the receiver after the company's demise...

Just showing me the pictures of various XJR 9s, 11s etc in differing states of 'undress' being made ready for sale and filling an entire warehouse was enough to set me off on a wave of nostalgia... those were the days when the crew I visited Le Mans with each year was at its largest... the passage of time since having reduced numbers somewhat.  Still, I and other member of the crew have now introduced the latest generation of Le Mans visitors.

I doubt though that they will view the Audi's with the same affection I view the Jags...

Do German fans of Le Mans feel towards Audi the way we Brits felt towards those TWR Jags..?

Ahh those 1980's weren’t they something to behold. I remember virtually blubbing in 86 when all that was left of the TWR challenge on the Sunday morning was a few skid marks and some oil stains on the floor of the pits.......oh and the hand written graffiti sign can't remember the exact words but 'We'll be back' covers the sentiment………happy days.  Grin
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 03:34:59 pm »

.......oh and the hand written graffiti sign can't remember the exact words but 'We'll be back' covers the sentiment………happy days.  Grin

See here http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=2461.msg61504#msg61504

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 04:05:46 pm »

Any Jaguars should be included I'd say Grin

Any? Even the rather nasty XJ220C as driven by one D Coulthard? I never had much time for it really. Having said that I was annoyed when the ACO disqualified it from 1st in class in 93(?) on some very flimsy pretext as I recall.

I had a massive lump in my throat in 1988, not to mention some grit in my eye, on what remains one of the finest days of my life. Similarly I was unexpectedly emotional when Bentley crossed the line in 03. I never expected it to get me, what with it being a green nearly-Audi and all that, but it was a wonderful sight to behold after all those years of Le Mans history.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
paultarsey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 04:41:16 pm »

And with 'Wee David' very much at the begining of his career TWR even spelt his name wrong on the side of the car! From memory it was COULTARD.

The Old Git
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 05:58:42 pm »

Agree with all the choices made so far. However I would  just like to say that any 935, not just the K3, be it the most basic 78 car right up to the Moby Dick car will always stir my blood like  few others.

The WM's of the 80's sould also be mentioned. Little in the way of money yet also turned up with pretty decent cars. they seemed to be there for the love of it, just like me.

Other cars -
BMW M1 for its amazing noise.
Porsche 936, it always looked graceful
McLaren F1, the last road car to win LM, and Ferrari F40 for trying.

The more I think about it, this list could go on & on!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
viper900dodge

who sed a viper cannot handle!!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 06:11:18 pm »

all i want to say is that dodge vipers r ace!!!!

the viper won GT2 class at le man's in 1998!!!! beat that people who say vipers only go in a straight lines
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 07:04:56 pm »

Any? Even the rather nasty XJ220C as driven by one D Coulthard? I never had much time for it really. Having said that I was annoyed when the ACO disqualified it from 1st in class in 93(?) on some very flimsy pretext as I recall.

I had a massive lump in my throat in 1988, not to mention some grit in my eye, on what remains one of the finest days of my life. Similarly I was unexpectedly emotional when Bentley crossed the line in 03. I never expected it to get me, what with it being a green nearly-Audi and all that, but it was a wonderful sight to behold after all those years of Le Mans history.

Sorry to say that I loved that car at the time and still have a picture of it on my wall at home, it was disqualified because it had a dodgy catalytic converter (or none at all) something to do with the exhaust system anyway I think. Cheesy
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 07:05:59 pm »

.......oh and the hand written graffiti sign can't remember the exact words but 'We'll be back' covers the sentiment………happy days.  Grin

See here http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=2461.msg61504#msg61504

Del

That has set me off again Del............. Grin
neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 11:17:37 pm »

It's funny but Audi doesn't quite fit the bill....
Any other iconic cars?

Aston - AMR1 does it for me... 
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2006, 10:21:55 am »

I had a massive lump in my throat in 1988, not to mention some grit in my eye, on what remains one of the finest days of my life.

Your memories of that day are obviously very similar to mine Andy.  I reckon it was all the waving flags that kicked-up the dust storm... we weren't really all crying!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 11:45:14 am »

Sorry to say that I loved that car at the time and still have a picture of it on my wall at home, it was disqualified because it had a dodgy catalytic converter (or none at all) something to do with the exhaust system anyway I think. Cheesy

I know what you mean but it was just such a let down after the TWR Jags. And I always thought it was very ugly for a supercar, the overhangs were massive and the engine (from the Austin Rover MG Metro) sounded not a patch on when it was at full chat in the forest in non-turbo trim. I guess I was just a bit deflated by it really.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 12:11:55 pm »

I know what you mean but it was just such a let down after the TWR Jags. And I always thought it was very ugly for a supercar, the overhangs were massive and the engine (from the Austin Rover MG Metro) sounded not a patch on when it was at full chat in the forest in non-turbo trim. I guess I was just a bit deflated by it really.

Yes I know what you mean Andy it was a come down from the big Cats. But any Jag was better than none at all I guess. I think there was a certain amount of mystique surrounding the car if that is the right word. I remember them being announced for sale and causing a surprising level of demand, prior to them actually being available. So much so that large cash deposits were demanded when the cars were reserved and city types and the like actually traded the reservations among themselves, making a profit selling the option!! A certain ‘black day’ on the stock market put pay to the city bonus's around that time and in the end I understand that many of the sales were never completed. Hence I never actually saw one on the road.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: