Club Arnage
September 20, 2024, 11:45:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Longshot - Seat needed  (Read 6937 times)
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2006, 02:35:05 pm »

This is a longshot I know.

One of our party who was supposed to be coming for his stag weekend can't get the time off work to comewith the main party on Thursday morning returning monday.  The only way he can come is if he gets a lift down after work on Friday and returns on the sunday night.

He works in Reading at AWE on a student placement (hence why he can't get the time off), if anyone is leaving from that area on Friday afternoon and returning on Sunday and wouldn't mind a passenger who is willing to contribute to ferry, petrol costs can they get in touch with me.

Cheers

Jay
rcutler
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 04:27:11 pm »

I would suggest Eurostar, around £120 all the way to LM. Check to see if you can change in Lille as opposed to Paris.
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 04:46:30 pm »

I looked there already its quoting me £234 most of the trains are sold out.  That is a bit out of budget as he is only a student.

The trip was arranged way before the placement was. Unfortunately because it is with the atomic weapons people (who part fund his PhD) and they got a student security clearance (unusual apparently) they are unwilling to give him any time off during his six week placement.

He is peeved, but not as peeved as the best man.

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 05:05:38 pm »

This route may be of interest, had a look for a chum, it costs about 80 pounds return. 

Portsmouth to Ouistream/Caen, foot passenger.  Caen to Le Mans by train direct, or via Paris depending on time of arrival.  obviously, just reverse out for the way back.

The rub is getting a train out of Le Mans on Sunday, its normally the TGV's that get fully booked.  Or maybe hitch a lift back in a car to a ferry port.  Getting on a ship to blighty as afoot passenger shouldn't be a problem.

The route is quite quick, with a bit of planning it should be a goer.

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/

use this web site to do the rail links, fares from the channel ports start about 8 euros single from caen to le mans, if he's got a student discount card them maybe cheaper.
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 06:15:29 pm »

The Portsmouth to Caen ferry is a possiblity the 1515 sailing on the Friday 16th gets in at 2200. However there are no trains from Caen to Le Mans at this time and there is little or no chance of any of us being sober or stupid enough to drive to Caen on the Friday night. Anyone on that sailing with a spare seat perchance?

The next ferry is at 2330 and gets in at 0715 on the morning of the race, with this option he gets into Le Mans station about 1030. This may turn out to be the best option. Leave Le Mans on Sunday about 8 pm to get the train back to Caen and the boat out to blighty at 2330 getting into port at 0700, plenty of time to get a train to Reading in time for work.
BrickWC
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 07:28:43 pm »

Is'nt vqDave leaving Friday evening, he may be able to help.

Steve
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 09:14:58 pm »

Motor Racing International used to do a "Fast and Furious" which might solve your problem. Out from Pompey to Le Havre (now Caan) at about 10:30 on Friday night leave after the race and get return overnight ferry that gets back into Pomoey about 7 on Monday morning.
 I took my son on it about 8 years ago cos he needed to get to school on Monday morning for exams. It cost £95 then, it has obviously gone up but it's an option

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 10:10:07 pm »

Cheers Bob I will investigate that option it sounds like the best option. Its getting to the track from the ferry late on friday night is proving the trickiest to arrange.

Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 10:31:20 pm »

Bob,

MRI still run the fast and furious and they pickup in Reading at Friday dinner time its £155. Do you know if this includes the general entrance ticket? I am going to phone them 1st thing tomorrow to see if they have any places left. If so I will pass the info along to the best man.

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 10:41:20 pm »

Jay, Entrance ticket is not included but you do get to use their hospitality area so you can get a desent meal cold beer and clean bogs

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 11:15:02 pm »

Thought as much.

Cheers will give them a ring in the morning.

Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 11:56:25 am »

Cheers for all your help looks like we will be able to get him on the MRI fast and furious coach leaving Basingstoke on Friday. The Reading coach was already full.

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 12:01:26 pm »

Good news indeed. Have a good one, see you there.

When I used MRI, entrance to their hospitality area was with a tie on tag given out on the coach. Of course there is nothing to stop you all using this in turn to get a shower, meal or attend a driver appearance. The system is there to be abused Cool
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 12:21:44 pm by BOB U » Logged

SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 03:08:27 pm »

When I used MRI, entrance to their hospitality area was with a tie on tag given out on the coach. Of course there is nothing to stop you all using this in turn to get a shower, meal or attend a driver appearance. The system is there to be abused Cool

Hate to break this to you but this year they have those hospital bracelet type things

Andy

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 03:22:47 pm »

We ain't too worried about the hospitality. He can slum it on BSJ like the rest of us.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: