Club Arnage
September 21, 2024, 11:44:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE PARTY IS ON !  (Read 62732 times)
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2006, 09:57:12 pm »

I think this year is shaping up to be a good one - and a big part of it is going to be you guys from across the pond - will you all be with DFH? when will you get in?
Tally Ho.
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2006, 12:25:24 am »

They will be flying into Amsterdam on Sunday. I'll show them a good time there and next morning we're going to Le Mans, so from Monday we'll be there!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2006, 12:38:06 am »

I was in Amsterdam last Monday. Avoid the street of chicks with dicks..  Shocked Shocked you know it makes sense... 
suthvid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2006, 06:19:41 am »

I have been following this topic with great interest since Randy starting talking it up weeks ago.  I have spoken with him, and just now got off the phone with Jupiter, and well, I'm looking into it. My first reaction was what a great story it would be, so I'm working on developing that idea, and in the meantime I'm looking into flights and travel options.

First, let me me say this: LeMans has been a place of legend since I was a kid.  Its like chamelot without the dragons.  If I can pull this off, and get to hang not only with my Turn 10 buddies, but you fine Club Arnage Folks it would be awesome.  An honor and a privledge.

Next, the first of many questions:

Flight options, UK versus somehwere else, how do I get there and connect up, etc.  I may not be able to leave as early as the 10th and make it to Amsterdam, so I'm looking for help in figuring this out.  Sunday and Monday I will check with the airlines and see what's cheep and available (no wise cracks you guys!). I have some miles with American that may help. So... fly into UK and bum a ride?  Fly into Paris and bum a ride? Fly into somehwere else and bum a ride? See what I mean?

But in the meantime:

What kind of shooting conditions will I encounter?  I've heard that its tough to see the track due to protective barriers and fencing.  I've also heard rumors of a CA Scaffold.  Is it True? Tell me more! If you can get a decent shot with a still camera without a huge lens, that will work for me, and if you have any stills shot in previous years from available locations that would be helpful  Be sure to note what length lens you were using.

What is it like traveling in the EU with camera gear?  I have two main options, shoot with my "A" package (similar to a video news guy) or a smaller package that looks like a mix between a home camera on steriods and a still package, plus some kind of tripod (bigger camera equals bigger tripod) In the little bit of international traveling I've done with gear I've gotten a carne (kinda pricey though...), sort of a bond issued in the US saying that all this gear is mine and I promise to bring it back with me instead of selling it to you folks at an outragious profit.  The smaller package might pass for amateur/hobbiest, and clear customs more easily.  In general, what's it like when you cross an EU border? "May I see your papers?"

What kind of paddock access is there? The ALMS has spoiled me in this regard, but to tell the story I'm envisioning I need to see the cars.  Is this possible?

What is the general schedule of events?  When do you guys set up camp, is it in a park, can you see the track from camp (like at Sebring)?  What happens race week? How often are the cars on the track, support races, etc. At this point I can use as much information as you can provide me.  I just stick it all in my little brain for further use in putting the story together, so tell me any and all things.

OK thats it for now.  You can respond to this either on the forum or directly to me at john@svpweb.com

Thanks,

John
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2006, 09:05:01 am »

What kind of shooting conditions will I encounter?  I've heard that its tough to see the track due to protective barriers and fencing.  I've also heard rumors of a CA Scaffold.  Is it True? Tell me more! If you can get a decent shot with a still camera without a huge lens, that will work for me, and if you have any stills shot in previous years from available locations that would be helpful  Be sure to note what length lens you were using.

What is it like traveling in the EU with camera gear?  I have two main options, shoot with my "A" package (similar to a video news guy) or a smaller package that looks like a mix between a home camera on steriods and a still package, plus some kind of tripod (bigger camera equals bigger tripod) In the little bit of international traveling I've done with gear I've gotten a carne (kinda pricey though...), sort of a bond issued in the US saying that all this gear is mine and I promise to bring it back with me instead of selling it to you folks at an outragious profit.  The smaller package might pass for amateur/hobbiest, and clear customs more easily.  In general, what's it like when you cross an EU border? "May I see your papers?"

OK thats it for now.  You can respond to this either on the forum or directly to me at john@svpweb.com

Thanks,

John

In theory there are no borders in Europe, so once you clear customs at whichever EU airport your are free to roam. However crossing between England and france on a US passport will mean clearing customs again. It may also be the same between Holland and France.

A bigger problem for you may be the ACO. They are very protective of there media rights, if you look too pro then some jobsworth may spoil your day.
Some pros are members of CA and may be able to help and give advice on getting press access.

All the cars are kept in there pit garages during the week, apart from a trip to town to be checked and when on track. So the options to wander around the cars are limited and you will need to be invited by the team into there garages. Most are happy to do this but its a hassle and space can be tight.

There are alot of fences around the entire track now, without a media pass you will be the wrong side of it.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2006, 09:15:52 am »

I'll stick with stuff I know...

First, there is a thread here http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=274.0 which has useful maps and info. When you cross most EU borders there are no customs in sight - you just slow a little on the motorway and your phone eventually tells you that it has switched to another provider... Travel from the UK is a little different, you will encounter passport control and maybe get stopped by customs and asked a few questions.

Canada Phil has previously discussed flight options and whether flying into France is better or not. I'm not sure what the conclusion was, but it may simpy depend on 1) prices and 2) ability to blag a lift from UK to LM and back. I would have space but am leaving the UK on Sunday 11th and leaving at or before the end of the race so I'm not a good option.

The official campsites are close to the track, some you have to walk for 5 minutes to get to see the cars and some you can see them right from your tent.Paddock access is OK before the Saturday and teh pit lane is open during Friday, no special apsses required. There is not much in the way of support races - I think someone said there is a classic race before the big event this year. Therefore the only time there are cars are on track is for the practice sessions on Wed and Thursday evenings, and for the main event (don't forget that part of the track is public road).

There's a thread here http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=3961.105 about travelling from the US. But most importantly there is a thread here http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=4740.0 which somewhere contains a draft of the Club Arnage Guide to Le Mans for  Dummies, as well as a host of other useful links (and within it there is a post from Redstu on getting to LM by public transport)
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2006, 09:23:54 am »

Hey John! Good to see you have plans to come over as well. For those who don't know him: he shot a memorable Sebring video last year featuring Turn 10 and lots of CA members which I enjoyed very much.

Since I'm sort of a Le Mans rookie myself (went there last year, arriving Saturday morning and not being a member of DfH yet), I couldn't provide you with all the answers, but I'm sure others can fill you in. The possibility of a Le Mans video like you did in Sebring gets me excited already!

You might want to check out our DfH camp, where the Turn 10 guys are staying. We will have a big scaffold and camp site on Maison Blanche and probably the closest thing to the Turn 10 atmosphere you'll find there.

If you can make it to Amsterdam on Wednesday, I might be able to hook you up with a ride to Le Mans Thursday morning, so let me know what's your schedule.

Crossing a EU border shouldn't cause any trouble, especially when flying into Amsterdam, where they don't bother about anything. Especially when compared to US customs.

@ others: please fill in the blanks!
atcGreg
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2006, 01:48:56 pm »

I was in Amsterdam last Monday. Avoid the street of chicks with dicks..  Shocked Shocked you know it makes sense... 

Smokie,
Will certainly heed your advice. I hope you're not speaking from experience! Shocked
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2006, 02:09:21 pm »

John Sutherland is a great guy.I will personally vouch for his credability.Anyone who can lend a hand,it would be greatly appreciated.

John in the several years of me dreaming of going to Lemans I have done quite a bit of research involving travel.The easiest way without renting a car
is to fly into Paris,take the train from the airport straight to Lemans.and then a short cab ride to the circuit.

For anyone not fimiliar with John's handy work here is a sample.

http://www.svpweb.com/turn10.html

How cccoooollll is that.

John there have been tons of offers from CA /DFH members for tents etc.If you get there I am sure we can find somewhere for you to crash.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 02:14:02 pm by amazing 1 » Logged

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
MiCarr

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2006, 02:19:58 pm »

Golf anyone!!!!!!!!!!    O.K. Americans, I want no debauchery while we're in euroupe Wink Grin Grin

* MastersChampion.jpg (147.13 KB, 400x593 - viewed 305 times.)
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2006, 02:34:54 pm »

Micarr,try this spelling.Europe.   LOL Cheesy Cheesy

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2006, 02:36:10 pm »

MiCarr call me on my cell.

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
MiCarr

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2006, 02:43:17 pm »

Micarr,try this spelling.Europe. LOL Cheesy Cheesy

Not after a day of debauchery!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin
suthvid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2006, 02:47:06 pm »

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the info, I'm currently wading through the "CA Guide" which is proving very useful. Randy, are you guys still flying on that funny dutch airline out of Orlando? When are you flying home, and I ssume its from Amsterdam?

Also, it looks like I'm going to be in the Ft. Myers area the week of 5/22. I may try and get some "pre-LeMans" interviews at that time. It would set the stage for the trip. How long of a drive is it to Tampa/St. Pete?

This is still not a done deal, gotta figure out the $ thing, and see if it threatens my marital status at all... (race weekend is fathers day and my birthday, and it might bum my family out that I choose to celebrate by leavin' the friggin' country!...)  

I did some research on the American Airlines site and it looks like I'm gonna have to call them to figure out the frequent Flyer thing.

If anybody has some shots of the DFH or Club Arnage camp sites I'd love to see them, as well as any car shots taken from areas mentioned in the guide.

I noticed in the race week schedule several "pit walks".  Whazat?

Oh, and you gotta explain the PooBar!

Randy- what are the chances of hooking up with Johnny O. and Jan M. during this visit?  It would make for good video (my producer voice rattling away...)

Is Canada Phil attending?

Thanks,
John
MiCarr

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2006, 03:41:17 pm »

Hello John, Glad to her you are thinking of coming.
We will be flying out of Amsterdam on Mon. 6/19

Just a note to let everyone know. I talked with Vettefan (Anna) and Brian who is on the Corvette
team. He was a little concened about us trying to set up a Team Impala signing near them.
Alot of the top dogs for Pratt Miller are making the trip over, and I would'nt want to do anything that might
jeopardize our relationship with the team!! Of course thay does'nt mean Team Impala can't be in the parade
on Friday or anything else that normaly happens. Just thought I should put it out there.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 03:51:43 pm by MiCarr » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: