Club Arnage
June 26, 2024, 02:00:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble at TVR?  (Read 15638 times)
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2006, 06:55:11 pm »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but...

Auntie Beeb is reporting that TVR have not renewed the lease at their Blackpool factory & have laid off over 25% of staff.  Undecided

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4939224.stm

I seriously hope this turns out well, the last thing we need is more bad news for British industry!! They'd better find a new location in the UK & not move the factory over to Russia!! Angry  Otherwise I'll certainly not be buying myself a Sagaris, once I've got the cash!! Wink
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:06:40 pm »

Looks like they are prepareing the ground for bad news
http://www.pistonheads.com/tvr/index.asp?storyId=13760.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:11:25 pm »

Tough news but if you carry on the business of making shoddily-produced ugly expensive useless plastic tubs that nobody wasnts, then really what do you expect? It all went off the rails with the current Tuscan. Hideous.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:33:03 pm »

Yeh, you're ever the reallist Andy no room for sentiment I'm afraid.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:06:22 pm »

Tough news but if you carry on the business of making shoddily-produced ugly expensive useless plastic tubs that nobody wasnts, then really what do you expect? It all went off the rails with the current Tuscan. Hideous.

Likewise, it's a shame when people lose their livlihood - but, I agree with Andrew (now there's a turn-up), TVR's are silly and in most cases (in my experience) the owners are tossers who buy them because they make a noise like an aeroplane.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:13:34 pm »

The article i read says production is down to 2 a week!  Its not worth moving a factory to Russia at that rate.
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 08:40:31 pm »

This is not good news, worrying actually... anyone wants a half rotten 3000M ? Contact me through my profile. Grin No, just kidding, I'd never sell it.

No, really, this should be taken with a grain of salt (?). They went bankrupt so often.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 09:23:51 pm »

IMO this is the Russian owners saying "how much do you want us" to the Government and the Developement Councils.....

Standard practice I understand in Eastern Europe.  You want us to stay you show us how much you want us......
Brushy
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 08:19:25 am »

Likewise, it's a shame when people lose their livlihood - but, I agree with Andrew (now there's a turn-up), TVR's are silly and in most cases (in my experience) the owners are tossers who buy them because they make a noise like an aeroplane.
Here l was thinking it was only me ::)shame but for the money theres a lot better out there Roll Eyes
SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 12:19:34 pm »

My thoughts go more towards how it will effect the breakdown and recovery industry   Grin

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 12:25:15 pm »

I agree with the above, TVR's are rubbish and driven by people who in general are not my cup of tea.

But it would be a shame for another british car company to dissappear no matter how rubbish they are.

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 12:26:44 pm »

TVR's are silly and in most cases (in my experience) the owners are tossers who buy them because they make a noise like an aeroplane.

Here's a spy shot of the new TVR prototype under test at Farnborough.

More work required on the styling but a better looker than some of their more recent efforts. At least they've done away with the rubbish perspex spoiler on the Saggiarse which looks like it was lifted straight from a 1980's Barratt House bathroom.

* ac11.jpg (38.11 KB, 500x364 - viewed 433 times.)

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bartus
CA Veteran

The cars, the action and the chicks:speedpics(.nl)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 09:14:04 pm »

I was there this week...There is still some light in the tunnel it seems...try your Dutch and enjoy...

http://forum.drinkingforholland.com/viewtopic.php?t=257

Bartus(who still hates the food there though)

veni bibi vomui
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 09:17:33 pm »

Bartus(who still hates the food there though)

Where?  Blackpool?!!  Shocked
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 09:39:12 pm »

Interesting pics Bartus - they pretty much sum-up why TVR is in the shape it's in.
I used to visit the factory in the late 80's and nothing has changed - apart from the ludicrous shape of the cars. The most telling image is the diff housing being held in position on a paint tin. WTF?
There also seems to be a lot of re-painting going on.  I hope that the blue car is an accident repair and is not on the production line, being re-preped and primered after it's original clearcoat - and then sold as a new car.
In a way, the cottage industry-like atmosphere (reminds me of AML prior to Ford's ownership) is quaint - but redundant. Aston would have gone down the toilet too, had they remained blacksmiths. Death, where is thy sting?

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: