Club Arnage
October 02, 2024, 04:38:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Profile Trawling  (Read 3277 times)
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2006, 12:55:07 pm »

I think this has been mentioned before, but another warning won't hurt.

I have been watching the 'Who's on-line' page a bit recently, and there is often a guest who is looking at someone's profile.  Can't tell if it is always the same guest of course.

This may be quite innocent, and if it is, apologies to that (or those) guest(s), but it may also be someone trawling for email addresses. 

If you don't want tons of spam emails etc, make sure your email address is 'hidden' in your profile.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 03:37:45 pm »

I deleted my e-mail address from my profile a couple of months ago after I got a chain letter and a quite a few spams. It stopped soon after I deleted it.

I reckon Mike C was glad it was on my profile cos he contacted me on it rather than PMing me and got in first for a couple of HA tickets I was selling.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 03:47:19 pm »

I didn't know you could see what people were looking at!! How interesting!!

At present there are three people looking at profiiles. Two are named users, looking at their own profile. One is a guest but is coming from the regular IP address of a known member, and is looking at the profile of that known user. (I.e. he's looking at himself - and btw I can track IPs!!)

I suspect the "looking at profile" status is not usually a dangerous state - it's possibly something like someone who has automatic log off set, so they've automatically been logged out but left their screen in CA.

However you can never be too careful on t'internet...
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 04:05:41 pm »

We mere mortals can, but cannot see see the IP address

I suspect the "looking at profile" status is not usually a dangerous state - it's possibly something like someone who has automatic log off set, so they've automatically been logged out but left their screen in CA.

That doesn't apply to guests - they are not logged in anyway.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 04:10:12 pm »

At present there are three people looking at profiiles. Two are named users, looking at their own profile. One is a guest but is coming from the regular IP address of a known member, and is looking at the profile of that known user. (I.e. he's looking at himself - and btw I can track IPs!!)

Hi Jeff
I've recently received a PM from my ex-employer that is quite threatening - how do I block any kind of correspondence from this person?

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 04:24:08 pm »

By SHOOTING THE SLIMY BASTARD!   YEEHAWWWW!

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 04:28:17 pm »

You can set an "ignore member pm" in your profile, but not sure if that actually stops them from sending it to you in the first place.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 06:08:26 pm »

Hi Jeff
I've recently received a PM from my ex-employer that is quite threatening - how do I block any kind of correspondence from this person?

Report to Moderator quoting the facts and the account and username will be barred, if allegations can be substantiated (or appear to be as stated).  I can also ban by IP address or hostname. PM me the details...

Harrassing mails or messages can also be reported to the police...

Better still and more reliable is Randy's modus operandi...  Grin
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 09:02:20 pm by smokie » Logged
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 06:57:14 pm »

OK Jeff,
Details PM'd to you.
Attorney informed (it's the American way)
Thanks for your help on this irritation.
Matt

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 09:00:35 pm »

Sorted - PM'd you Matt.

Note to all - no further public discussion on Matt's issue please.

However, please note that action can and will be taken if justified, the Report to Moderator is there for just this kind of situation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: