Club Arnage
October 02, 2024, 06:19:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honda to enter ALMS  (Read 5622 times)
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2006, 06:50:49 pm »

A Honda up aginst the Spyder RS?? I know where my money would go...  Wink

Text below courtesy of Autosport.com...

Honda has confirmed it is to enter the American Le Mans Series next season, under its Acura banner.

As predicted by Autosport last summer, Honda will enter the LMP2 branch of the championship with what it is described as a 'full factory assault'.

The move will put the company in direct competition with Porsche, who have entered the series this season with their works RS Spyder.

The news was confirmed today at the New York International Auto Show. Acura confirmed that engines would power chassis from a number of manufacturers, including Courage and Lola. Testing will begin this summer.

"As Acura marks its 20-year anniversary, I can't think of a better racing series to showcase our technology and performance than the American Le Mans Series," said John Mendel, senior vice president of auto sales, American Honda Motor Company.

"Our entry as a full factory team in the American Le Mans Series will accurately reflect Acura's position as a leader in automotive performance and technology, and provide us with an arena in which to compete against other manufacturers in endurance sports car racing."

No teams or drivers have been unveiled but Honda have promised announcements shortly. Single-seater teams Rahal Letterman Racing, Andretti Green Racing and Newman/Haas have all been linked with running cars.

"We are delighted to have Acura join the American Le Mans Series," said Scott Atherton, president and CEO of ALMS.  "The Honda brand has a long history of racing and we welcome their addition to our exciting, growing series."

It will be the first time that Honda Performance Development (HPD) has taken on duel motorsport programmes. Honda is the sole engine supplier to the Indy Racing League.

"We're looking forward with great anticipation to entering the American Le Mans Series," said Robert Clarke, president of HPD.

"In addition to returning Acura to the international racing stage against other innovative automotive manufacturers, it allows us to continue to grow HPD into a world-class performance company."
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:45:46 am »

Honda/Acura had a pretty good stint in IMSA/Camel Lights, though the program was subbed to Comptech.  They've done a lot more factory work since then.  This is great news as far as I'm concerned.

(Especially if they actually decide to do the big race, unlike Penske/PCNA).  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 08:03:37 am by chop456 » Logged

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 08:40:29 am »

The first step will be as an engine supplier to chassis from Courage and Lola in LMP2.
Sadly no mention was made of Le Mans at this stage for next year.

However.....
If all goes to plan it will grow into a LMP1 assult with there own chassis that should come to europe in 08.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 10:17:22 am »

Maybe this could start another era of other big name manufacturers into LMP1 / GTP1?

Back to the 90's with Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Mazda, Mercedes etc  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 10:34:33 am by Steve Brown » Logged

Steve East Anglian cobras

Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 10:33:45 am »

Excellent news Smiley Smiley Smiley!

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 11:19:31 am »

Wonderful, provided thay come this side of the pond too.  Having about 5 cars with a chance of winning this year isn't good compared with 1990/91 when you had about 20 works cars and 10 private porsches.

I'm amazed that Honda can fund this as well as F1, AND the bikes of course (are they still in Indycar too?)

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 11:26:25 am »

They're still in Indycar, though their costs have been slashed due to being the only supplier.  No need for R & D, updates, etc.

Fax
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 01:46:33 pm »

Both Andretti/Green and Rahal have been rumored to be joining the ALMS ranks for a couple of years now, this would tempt them even more.  I can see Honda pulling the plug on the IRL program in the near future, that's a series thats going nowhere, they're barely going to have enough entries to fill the field at Indy.
Fax
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 01:51:21 pm »

Both Andretti/Green and Rahal have been rumored to be joining the ALMS ranks for a couple of years now, this would tempt them even more.  I can see Honda pulling the plug on the IRL program in the near future, that's a series thats going nowhere, they're barely going to have enough entries to fill the field at Indy.
Fax

Supposedly Both Rahal and Andretti were at Long Beach in a meeting with Atherton and Robert Clarke.

The IPS has like 12 cars and as far as the Indy field, they're nowhere close to filling it right now.  The entry deadline passed and from what I've heard, they're still accepting cobbled-up entries likely funded by the idiot grandson..

Fax
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 01:57:17 pm »

Yeah, its going to be some mighty boring qualifying days at the Brickyard. Bascially if you can get a car to run for four laps and not stuff it, you've got a spot in the 500.
The sadistic side of me wants to see a 500 field of about twenty cars, it'll really show what a complete boob TG is.
Long live the ALMS!
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 03:56:16 pm »

They're still in Indycar, though their costs have been slashed due to being the only supplier.  No need for R & D, updates, etc.
Shame, but I've lost track, with both Campcar & Indycar, even though Dan Wheldon is doing so well.  But Cosworth US &
 Ilmor must both be dead.

Long live Honda and the Thetford Lolas (mines got electric flush!)

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 06:56:43 pm »

Shame, but I've lost track, with both Campcar & Indycar, even though Dan Wheldon is doing so well.  But Cosworth US & Ilmor must both be dead.

Hang about!! I'm not about to say that Champ Car in it's current form is the most exciting motorsport championship anywhere, although that would make a good topic, & get me 1 post closer to a Senior Member!! Wink

But give it some credit, for a series that was on it's death bed it has been revitalised by Kevin Kalkhoven (who now also owns Cosworth), Jerry Forsythe & Paul Gentilozzi who own the group that run champ car. There's a couple more well backed teams, noticably Newman/Haas & RuSport & a number of decent drivers looking for a competitive race seat that can't make it into the "upper echelons" of F1. Tongue

Needless to say Dan Wheldon is doing a good job at turning left & fair play to him, but Justin Wilson isn't too shabby himself & looks like a frontrunner in champ car this year.

This view is not in anyway biased due to my owning shares in Justin Wilson PLC.... Wink
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 07:04:00 pm »

Some of our friends across the Atlantic may confirm this, but isn't Paul Gentilozzi the man responsible for the poor state of the once great Trans Am series.
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 07:50:27 pm »

Some of our friends across the Atlantic may confirm this, but isn't Paul Gentilozzi the man responsible for the poor state of the once great Trans Am series.

Trans Am was in decline since the mid-late 90's, Gentilozzi just presided over its death.  For all intents and purposes, the Speed World GT series has filled that niche.

There's talk of a spec 500hp Mustang series, but I doubt that will fly.

Fax
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 08:02:29 pm »

Agreed with Chop, the once mighty Trans-Am series by the mid-ninties was more or less a supporting race at most CART weekends.  Mostly the fault of the SCCA who over the years have managed to screw up many a good thing.  Champ Car is still clinging to life but is a piss poor shadow of what it once was.  The decline of CART really began during the Andrew Craig days.  You had a marketing guru with no background in motor racing running the show rather than a racer.
Fax
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 08:08:08 pm by Fax » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: