Club Arnage
June 18, 2024, 04:14:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CA members Guidebook for LM 2006  (Read 53207 times)
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2006, 07:29:57 pm »

Never mind a CA guidebook, This could easily turn into something worth publishing.
The profit being spent on an annual Club Arnage Beer Marquee (members only obviously).

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2006, 11:01:18 pm »

Hi mr.Werner,

Ive not been on the forum for many months but I am one of the original CA members and know JP Chenet very well having spent 2004 with his motley crew( Hi JP). Ive been to Le Mans every year since 1993 and could put together a section on the different campsites and their individual characters if you would like? if you would then give me a shout..

Wonderfull!

Cheers

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2006, 09:58:24 pm »

Hi all,

for better co-ordination of all our activities for the Le Mans 2006 guide I’ve set up a small project page at http://www.lemanszone.de/caguide2006.html. There’s a table with all tasks and chapters, listing who is working on what as far as I about it from this thread and from e-mail. Everyone should check it, so double work will be avoided or people working on the same thing can be co-ordinated. If someone is working on something and it’s not listed there, please tell me.

I’ve also split the big pdf-file to smaller files, one for each chapter, easier to handle and I will merge them for the final version.

Cheers

Can’t wait for June, just 80 days to the start of the race

Werner

hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2006, 11:28:37 pm »

New chapter: Who, when, where, status see project page at www.lemanszone.de/caguide2006.html. I will keep copying the relevant postings from the forum thread so we all know where to find eachother on the campsites

redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2006, 08:34:15 am »

Werner

First draft of "getting to Le Mans via public transport" should be ready eitther later today or Sunday am.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2006, 09:57:26 am »

great!

Have a nice weekend

Werner

Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2006, 10:06:20 pm »

Werner if you wany any Le Mans pics then take at look at Keith K's http://www.gtphotosport.com/welcome_page.htm - he's happy for you to use any as long as he's credited for them.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2006, 10:37:22 pm »

Thanks for that, Piglet, I'll have a look

Have a nice weekend

Werner

Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2006, 10:45:30 pm »

here's one for the album: make your children help you preparing for Le Mans Grin

* at it again.jpg (72.48 KB, 494x604 - viewed 264 times.)

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2006, 12:43:47 am »

Final result:

We will have to do some finishing touches, but we had good progress today. Smiley

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2006, 01:04:50 am »

First Draft

How to get to Le mans by  Public transport

Whilst the majority take a car to Le mans  its definitely possible to do the weekend using planes , trains and buses. I’ve found French public transport to be punctual and good value.

Airports
The nearest major international airport to Le mans is Charles de Gaulle , which is North of Paris.  It has 3 terminals and  importantly a Train station served by TGV.
The website for CDG is
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/

It seems to have been recently updated and  less useful than before ! There used to be decent maps showing  where the location of the train station was in relation to each terminal , however they seem to be gone.

Whichever terminal you arrive at you will need to catch a free bus (Navette) to the train station.

Access to the free buses is signposted.

There are a number of services which run on a loop, I’d suggest allowing a minimum of 30 minutes for the journey including waiting time. You may also not be able to get the first  bus to arrive if the queue is long.

The other Paris airport is Orly, whilst it is located closer to Lemans it does not have a direct TGV link.

There is a direct coach link between the airports at a cost of about 16 euros. Alternatively Orly also has a train station  for access to Paris center.

Nantes airport is also a possibility if you can fly www.ryanair.com. From Nantes a hire car or train (TGV) is possible.

TGV to Le Mans
Tickets should be booked in advance this can be done easily on line at  www.sncf.fr
If you book more than a month in advance there is a discount.
 I have always had the tickets delivered to the UK.

Once at the station , you will have to descend 4 levels to the platform.  Find the platform from the information board. You also need to validate your ticket with a punch  machine located at the escalators above the platform. Locate the approximate place to stand by checking the monitors against your seat number.

Arriving at Le Mans.

The trip takes about 1hr 40 minutes.

Le Mans station will at sometime be undergoing some changes (according to a plan displayed in 2005).

Currently on leaving the main exit (Nord) you  cross the small car park to the bus stops, or take a taxi.

If you arrive on Wednesday or Thursday  evening or Saturday there are special busses which go direct to the circuit. The special bus arrives directly opposite the main entrance to the circuit.

Alternatively you can take the bus to Oasis (line 3) which is one of the closest normal stops to the circuit. Once at Oasis, you will have a walk of about 10-15 minutes to get to the main entrance.

The transport website www.setram.fr provides more details on the times.
The link to the full pdf details is

http://www.setram.fr/local/doc_site/20050810140605_T-L03P16-100x205-F.pdf

Driving to Le Mans from the airport.

Its also easy to pick up a car and drive to the circuit. I won’t put the full details here as I’ve found  the routes  offered by www.theaa.com or www.rac.com to give accurate directions, and will be updated.

If you arrive at Orly then you have an advantage of being at least 20 minutes closer and with less traffic to contend with.

A few points on driving to the circuit.

Don’t miss the turns as it is difficult to re join the motorway, especially don’t miss one of the first turns and end up heading into Paris - a very bad move.
Depending on the time of day the routes around Paris can be very busy and come to a standstill allow extra time for your journey.
If there happened to be a public transport strike (as in 2003) the roads will be solid , it took me 6 hours!
Fill up the car with fuel before dropping it off as the hire companies normally expect a full tank or they may charge far more to fill it themselves. There is at least one station at CDG.

Eurostar. I’ve not done this route but it would be possible to get the Eurostar to Paris , then a TGV to Le Mans. However it means changing stations.
www.eurostar.co.uk Will provide  the itinerary and prices. This is probably the quickest route from central London.

If Money is not a Problem.
There is one other way to Le mans, shortest journey time of all and less than a mile to the circuit.
Le Mans airport is within walking distance of the circuit.
You’d need to hire a private plane as there aren’t (currently) any scheduled flights.
A quick search found the following http://www.mayfairdove.co.uk/ not to Le Mans but to Paris for £1500 day return, So Le Mans for £5-6000 looks possible.
Maybe one day!

Hope you find this useful   
Redstu
April 2006.

Comments, anything I've missed?
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2006, 02:49:12 am »

Paddy ,LangTall and co. very nice work I am sure that will look very cool at Lemans.

Redstu I thinks that draft will work it has all the important websites for trains etc.Ithink even I could follow that to the front gate!

You guys amaze me with all you do to have a really cool camp.

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2006, 08:21:49 am »

perfect description, redstu

I flew into Paris twice, it works exactly that way

Have a nice weekend

Werner

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2006, 09:27:11 am »

Hi Redstu,
                My suggestions on Eurostar:
Via Paris you will need to transfer from GareD'Nord to Montparnasse (spelling) alllow an hour by Metro ( Underground) but why travel underground when there is Paris to see so take some extra time to sightsee along the way. A more direct route is to change trains at Lille.
 Canada Phil
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2006, 11:03:22 am »

I had thought it was possible to change at Lille, as I have once spoke to someone who said he was connecting with eurostar, however I couldn't get eurostar or sncf to give me that route so I thought it must be a hazy memory!

I've now re checked and used "lille europe" instead of "Lille" on the sncf website and found the direct TGV connection.

If you just input lille it only gives one option!

The eurostar website wouldn't  give the change at lille option and its not easy to get it to show the route. Could it be that as Paris is further they make more money?

I'll amend the doc accordingly.

Thanks

stu
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: