Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 11:23:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silence of The Alms  (Read 9223 times)
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2006, 04:50:17 pm »

Another great edition of the 12 Hours of Sebring - had a little bit of a late start Saturday and didn't get to the track until gone 10.00am - so overflow parking was where we ended-up.
The race was won by the quietest race car I've ever witnessed. It was ridiculously silent - just wafting around (quick - but singularly undramatic - it didn't sound like a diesel at all).
Aston Martin/Corvette battle was as intense as usual and really was the race to watch. The new Porsche looked and sounded great - and clearly has a very well sorted chassis. The drive they were achieving out of the hairpin was noticeably superior to everything else - 1st race glitches aside - it will be formidable when the creases have been ironed-out.
I must also doff my (Dutch?) cap to the Spyker Squadron - who kept both cars going for the duration.
Thanks to the fellows of Turn 10 for the viewing facilities and friendship. I hope the quart of Jack didn't go the same way as our 2 cases of safety Bud - we looked like we weren't going to stretch the Guinness out to the end - and some git(s) pinched our reserve supplies. Oh well.
Mid-Ohio sprint in May up next. Regards to all - and nice to meet a couple of new CA faces (Martini and Doris).

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Robster
CA Veteran

"Les Garagistes"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 07:00:22 pm »

Can't wait to see/hear the Audi's in action at La Sarthe.  You can't help but wonder if the lack of noise will take something away from the experience.  There's nothing quite like the shriek of a NA big V8 hurtling down the Mulsanne in the middle of the night!
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:48:49 pm »

When one of the Audis got into trouble, there was an interview with one of the drivers and the subject came up.  No motor noise to tell you what's going on is a problem that the drivers are having to deal with.  One of the major sensory monitors during a race is absent.  They may open up some exhaust noise to not only help the drivers but please the complaining fans.
Fax
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 03:22:56 am »

Evening All,
Well done to everyone at Sebring.  Matt & Dave, you guys are like brothers and had a blast as always this weekend, Seth being a fine addition to our little mob.  Randy, Lee, John, etc., Big thanks to all the gang out at Turn 10 for the viewing and the sh**ts & giggles.  Great to see Phil, Smoker, Steve, Chris again. Rick, Martin & Doris, great to finally meet you and put a face & voice on our banter, hope you enjoyed America's great sportscar tradition.
As Matt said, the Audi's are fricking bizarre to watch and hear, or should I say not hear.  Just a slight woosh when it goes past, no glowing brake rotors at night, way too stealthy.  The new Porsche's are a highlight for me, they look & sound the part with a ripping bark from the exhaust.  This car will be perfect for some the tighter ALMS venues where shear grunt is less important than handling and ability to change direction quickly.  Terrific fight between Aston and Vette as expected.  And just when you think you've seen everything, a marshal getting stuck upside down in a tire barrier to bring out a full course caution!  Its supposed to snow tonight, why the hell did I come home?!
Fax
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 03:29:48 am by Fax » Logged
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:11:44 am »

They may open up some exhaust noise to not only help the drivers but please the complaining fans.

Are you sure ? They have to run the exhaust gases through the turbos and the exhaust filters. I don't see it happen. Would be nice, though.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 08:13:20 am »

And just when you think you've seen everything, a marshal getting stuck upside down in a tire barrier to bring out a full course caution! 

I read about it and was afraid it was something serious. Now I just laugh, what happened exactly ?  Grin

Ruscool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 10:34:49 am »

Excuse me big stupid moment here!

Are the Audis that will be at LeMans this year going to be Diesel?  We saw a Very fast Diesel VW Bora at Nurburg last September and I know what you meen about the noise they are bloody quick but all you hear is a big woosh and whistle as they speed past.

I can't imagine driving a Diesel on a track I have a Turbo D, and there just isn't a big enough rev range to make cornering really fun, hats of to any driver who can make a go of that..

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 10:39:38 am »

Excuse me big stupid moment here!

Are the Audis that will be at LeMans this year going to be Diesel? 

Yep, two R10's both diesel powered will be there this year. (assuming the ACO give them an entry, as if there is any doubt)

Next year Peugeot will joing the LMP1 series also with a diesel.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 11:15:04 am »

I heard on TV, that the Audis don't need the filters as the Shell fuel is specially produced for them and very clean to start with.

Pull the other one, this is some form of rocket fuel.

Can/will the ACO handicappers penalise the Audis as they have the Corvettes

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 11:33:13 am »

Good point, what will happen to the "stock" regulation fuel Huh

Take life by the horns and live it.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 12:59:06 pm »

Top weekend indeed!

My first Sebring experience and despite the small entry and the lack of sound from the Audis it was a marvellous experience.

Thanks to all my new buddies for making me feel so welcome!

Now suffering heavily with a stinker of a cold which is making the "back to work" feeling even worse than ever!

Took about 2,500 photos over the weekend, will share some when i finally get my broadband back at home!

Rick :O)
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 01:57:59 pm »

I can't imagine driving a Diesel on a track I have a Turbo D, and there just isn't a big enough rev range to make cornering really fun, hats of to any driver who can make a go of that..

With 1100Nm of torque and a weight of 950 Kg cornering isn't really an issue.  Grin

chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 02:11:59 pm »

Great weekend!

Cheers to those of you I was able to meet, and to those I didn't, hopefully I'll have the chance in June.

Again - extra thanks to Steve Brown for hiking my t-shirt over.  Between you and jpchenet, just let me know the cooler situation and I'll bring over whatever is required.

Sincerely,

chop456
Beeramid Laborer - 2nd Class

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:15:39 pm by chop456 » Logged

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Ruscool

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 02:44:06 pm »

With 1100Nm of torque and a weight of 950 Kg cornering isn't really an issue.  Grin

Totaly follow the power these cars put out is awesome, but all the road going oil burners I have driven dump the power on big, hard and quick.  In a petrol car you can enjoy about 5/6k of usable revs on diesels you tend to get 3k revs to play with.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 03:52:23 pm »

And just when you think you've seen everything, a marshal getting stuck upside down in a tire barrier to bring out a full course caution! 

I read about it and was afraid it was something serious. Now I just laugh, what happened exactly ?  Grin
I was listening on Globcast when they bought the Saftey car out and said the issue was at turn 10, but that was it. Had visions of the scafolding tipping the Turn 10 crew over the edge! anybody get any pictures of the unfortunate marshal?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: