Club Arnage
September 29, 2024, 11:31:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silence of The Alms  (Read 9229 times)
Fax
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 04:14:30 pm »

The marshal was walking along the top of the barrier when he tripped and fell face first into a stack of tires with his arms pinned at his sides, feet sticking up in the air flailing away.  When Lee asked asked one of the other marshals at turn ten if he was okay, he replied "physically he's fine, but his dignity is another matter"
Don't know anyone has a pic of it but I'm sure the poor guys hoping not.
Fax
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 05:00:34 pm »

Grin Grin Grin

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 08:09:38 pm »

The bizarre incident that befell this hapless corner-man did remind me of a 'potential situation' we created at Le Mans back in the early 90's.  During that era we used to take a fairly big motorhome and park it on Chapelle. At the time there were no toilets on this small site and therefore nowhere for us to empty the quite voluminous toilet cassette that our vehicle was equipped with. So just like the set of absolute bastards that we are, we tipped our 'out of body experiences' into the tyre barriers lining the Bugatti Circuit. I did worry what would happen if some errant open cockpit driver ever hit that section of tyre wall.....
Had an unfortunate ACO corner workerhad the same tumble as the guy at Sebring, he would have ended-up head first in ourbog-chems, piss and rectum rockets. A perplexing thought...

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 11:35:27 am »

Just got back in from sebring so need sleep. The corner worker dropped something down the tyres so stood on top of them learning down to try and pick it out. He lost his balance and went arse over tit, head first down the middle of the tyres and all that was left sticking out was his foot ! Grin

The other marshal then went running over and was stood there holding his foot with one hand and trying to wave for attention with the other.

You can't see the marshal, but I did take a picture of the scene.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 10:04:15 pm »

Well I have let it go long enough...just wondering if anyone has ACTUALLY picked up on the tile of this thread... I am sure it was not a mistake... humour... I laughed.

It was meant wasn't it Matt, of course it was don't be stupid Mart... nice one Matt...

Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 11:29:45 pm »

Martin
My rapier-like wit is lost on most of the plebs on this site - I really don't know why I bother sometimes.
I'm so funny, I kill me.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 12:01:16 am »

I know -  plebs indeed.

But, don't you spell "lambs" with a "B" ?

Picky, I know.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 03:42:00 am »

It was great to shake the hands (and one wanking claw) of all, new and familiar!

I must say that the TDI was very interesting to see, but certainly not inspiring as a fan.  From a fan's perspective, motoracing is massively about atmosphere.  Visual AND audible - and I guess the smell and feeling of the event too - racing fuel and the chest thump of screaming and rumbling engines alike.  The Audi really was as close to an electric sounding car as it could be right now.  Nothing exciting, nothing memorable, and a field of them (the way it's going I fear - with Pug ramping-up for their LM effort - and God knows who else to follow) would be a very dull to spectate.

Le Mans and other events are about atmosphere - and given that so many of us sit in a field and get sh*t faced for large periods of the event bathed in the wails and growls from the Mulsanne, Pit Straight and Esses to name a few, it would be pretty odd sitting there with no sound at all - which is essentially what a lot of future diesels would bring to the event.

Motoracing has evolved and should evolve - but would you go to an electric car race?
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 04:23:11 am »

Well I guess I can answer YES as I do most weeks ! Grin

http://www.rmscc.fsnet.co.uk/
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 08:32:24 pm »

Well I guess I can answer YES as I do most weeks ! Grin

http://www.rmscc.fsnet.co.uk/

Well Chris, enough said.

Dave H, I could not agree with you more, you really do need the AUDIble racing of the Aston, Corvette etc, althogh in saying that there is something rather aloof about the sound of the Audi.

Good to meet you (mine wasn't the claw)

Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 08:39:18 pm »

It was great to shake the hands (and one wanking claw) of all, new and familiar!

I must say that the TDI was very interesting to see, but certainly not inspiring as a fan.  From a fan's perspective, motoracing is massively about atmosphere.  Visual AND audible - and I guess the smell and feeling of the event too - racing fuel and the chest thump of screaming and rumbling engines alike.  The Audi really was as close to an electric sounding car as it could be right now.  Nothing exciting, nothing memorable, and a field of them (the way it's going I fear - with Pug ramping-up for their LM effort - and God knows who else to follow) would be a very dull to spectate.

Le Mans and other events are about atmosphere - and given that so many of us sit in a field and get sh**t faced for large periods of the event bathed in the wails and growls from the Mulsanne, Pit Straight and Esses to name a few, it would be pretty odd sitting there with no sound at all - which is essentially what a lot of future diesels would bring to the event.

Motoracing has evolved and should evolve - but would you go to an electric car race?
Absolutly Dave,
I love to see the Astons for their agressive looks, but there's nothing quite like the sound of the vettes stoming through, waking up on sunday morning and listning for them to come through is what its all about. The best bit of most races is the start, when all are grouped togther and the creshendo of noise is why I go, same with Drag racing, get your eye balls rattleing, take it away and half the excitment away.
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 11:48:58 am »

The marshal was walking along the top of the barrier when he tripped and fell face first into a stack of tires with his arms pinned at his sides, feet sticking up in the air flailing away.  When Lee asked asked one of the other marshals at turn ten if he was okay, he replied "physically he's fine, but his dignity is another matter"
Don't know anyone has a pic of it but I'm sure the poor guys hoping not.
Fax

More on the inverted marshal/Turn 10 crew:

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1557517&postcount=17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Why on earth did they want a tow truck?

...because the 'Invertee' marshal was somewhat portly.

Theres a bit more to the story (isn't there always?). According to the 'official' report, the trapped marshall stated that he went 'tire diving' because he had dropped his radio scanner into the stack.

As related in a follow-up briefing on the incident by the marshal-colleague who first responded on scene however, the following was reported:

1. The guy dropped his IMSA pen (a 29-cent item) into the stack.

2. When initially bending down to retrieve the pen, his credential (SCCA hard card) broke free from its tether and also fell in (raising the stakes significantly!).

3. Now truly motivated, the marshal more aggressively wiggled himself further in, in the forlorn attempt to reach the ground inside the stack where the pen AND credential now rested, ultimately tipping himself in, and upside down with one arm extended into the stack trying to grasp the lost items, and his other pinned tightly at his side and behind him. (all this while the top competitors negotiated the turn at ~130 mph).

4. The first responder-marshal was about 100 yds away on the same side of the course when the incident first developed, and looking up track, away from his mate. He was finally signalled by the cross-track corner captain ('Observer' to those elsewhere), and his attention drawn to the plight of the 'stuck marshal' - it was later estimated at about 2 minutes between the incident time and when the would-be rescuer reached the scene.

5. Upon his arrival, the rescuer reported that he heard 'intense but muffled mumbling' from within the tire wall (apparently loud enough to be heard OVER race engine noise!), and found the precise location due the violent 'peddling' of the 'trapee's' legs in the air.

6. It was immediately realized that the victim's stomach had effectively sealed him into the tire stack, and he was therefore deprived of oxygen. One can imagine it was rather dark in there too, not to mention thoughts of the sorts of creepy stuff which might dwell inside.

7. Picture this: According to the account, the rescuer climbed on top of the tire stack and placed the victims ankles on his shoulders, and pulled on the victims belt in an initial vain attempt to extract him, but he succeed only in slipping off the victims trousers (another point in favor of coveralls?).

8. At this point,the rescuing marshall realized that he was not equal to the task of effecting a rescue single-handed, but was able to 'break the seal' of the victims belly around the top tire, thereby admitting at lease some fresh air to the invertee's 'Tire Chamber'.

9. The victim and responding marshall remained in this position until Emergency Vehicles arrived on scene, a period of several more minutes.

...now to the initial report of a lost radio. Wouldn't YOU report that you risked your life over the loss of something of value vs a worthless bauble - the pen? Can't say I blamed the guy.

There is talk of creating a worker trophy with a statuette of the two marshalls atop the tire stack at its pinnacle.

Yes, this turns out to have been an amusing anecdote to add to the annals of Sebring Race history. However, I'm sure no one feels worse about the incident than the victim, and the outcome could have been truly tragic - we are all grateful that our brother worker ended up ok.

Still looking for photos - TV cameras covered the scene,and there were dozens of spectators with cameras nearby, so remain hopeful. Turn 10 (the incident location) at Sebring has a very strong group of spirited spectators from around the world who have camped together for years,and set up a temporary community. In fact, the previous night, several of us accepted an invitation from the denizens of Turn 10 to attend their annual slide show, which was a real treat - many pix of last year's event..plenty of good beer, and attracive women, one of whom found it useful to announce the show's intermission by standing in front of the screen and exposing her (well-proportioned) bare chest - I did mention that the Turn 10 group was 'spirited', didn't I?

Can't wait for next year's slide show!

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 04:08:27 pm »

That was a hoot chop456, The picture you drew in my mind was priceless.  A great big belly laugh for a Friday morning.  Well done, it couldn't have been more funny if it were fiction.
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 04:45:35 pm »

The story is hilarious.  Grin

Are there any pics around of this unintentional act of comedy ?

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: