Club Arnage
September 27, 2024, 04:17:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spa dropped from the F1 calendar  (Read 11763 times)
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2006, 06:49:19 pm »

Actually watching the racing is, to some, purely optional.

Anyone in particular in mind Steve?  Huh Roll Eyes Huh

No answer required...  Undecided
Fax
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2006, 07:37:14 pm »

As I said guys, there are plenty of people who do the same thing for big sporting events here as well.  Nothing against them at all, just that it wouldn't be for me.  I preface this by saying that I'm not a big crowd kind of person, if I have no interest in whats going on, being around a huge mass of people makes my skin crawl.  I went to the Kentucky Derby once and admit to having no interest at all in horse racing and by mid day I was ready to run out of the place screaming.  If I wasn't a racing fan, I'd rather be camping at a local state park with a couple of mates and sharing some beers over a campfire than be packed in with 200,000 people.
Fax
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:47:19 pm by Fax » Logged
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2006, 08:30:37 pm »

I wouldnt go to any sporting event i wasnt interested in either - especially horse racing!  (madly hoping the kentuky derby actually IS a horse race!)   

My original question about the Spa 24 Hrs arose because I know the LMES race at Spa is only a 1000km, so I did actually have some small degree of knowledge of the LMES calendar at least!  It didnt seem an unreasonable thing to ask at the time - this being a LeMans themed forum n all.  Roll Eyes

Fax
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2006, 09:44:50 pm »

Sorry for picking on you Fran, just found it somewhat amusing that your a 11 year vet of the LM 24 Hours, yet wasn't familiar with the Spa 24 Hours, one of the most historic & prestigous races in the world.
Fax
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2006, 10:00:59 pm »

No worries fax, i dont feel picked on!  Not sure i care for being called a "vet" tho....
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2006, 10:08:02 pm »

Quote from: fran
[...] because I know the LMES race at Spa is only a 1000km [...]
Well, if there would have been a little more fog at the '05 edition, they would have taken 24 hours to cover those 1000kms Wink

lucky for us spectators they drop the flag after six hours dead Tongue

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2006, 10:09:35 pm »

Agreed Fran, LM is special because of the People who go.
We've camped at Silverstone for F1 (95, 96, 97, 98) and it couldn’t be more different, pissed up aggressive atmosphere, but at that time the racing was good (although declining).
First went to LM in 2001 (without brad) very wet and could have been very miserable - in carpark blue(no facilities), flooded tent got in on Friday, but there was something about the atmosphere.
Brad and I went in 2002, again in Car park Blue, on Thursday, quickly made friends, and the Sun shinned, but still no facilities, Brill.
2003 Camped in Camping Blue, as soon as we pulled up, given a beer by our neighbours, offered ice pack refreezing, buy a group of Porsche owners behind us, great.
2004, Karting North, Beer as soon as we arrived, started hooking up with CA and SPS, Mad Friday, St Saturnin, Race Start, Poo bar, Race finish(some pratts but no big probs).
2005 as above, on MB, bloody hot, just great.
So as apart of the big picture you if you could take out the race and leave the rest = more drinking time, less effort, ---- may be I can see why people don’t bother with the race.    
But then again, the atmosphere at the start is fantastic, the Hawaiian tropic girls, the anthems, the noise as they all come through, the shere effort and commitment of the Teams in the pits, Radio LM, the slog of the cars through Arnage on Sunday morning, the finish, on to the track, under the podium for the presentation!!!! That’s what does it for us.
But, I would still spend a weekend in a field with the special breed of people who go to LM even without the Race!!! Its obvoiusly the same deal at Sebring, its just some people like the stats, history etc etc as well as the Beer others just want to chill out (or not), its all apart of it.
Tally ho, roll on June!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 10:12:11 pm by IRW » Logged
Fax
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2006, 01:07:41 am »

Very well put IRW, I tend to have a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to motor racing and I view it from the perspective of someone who has been a devoted enthusiast for a very long time, hence my bitching & complaining about the state of the sport today.  Agreed, its the people who make a motor racing special, fans, competitors, and even pig-headed organizers and officials (except Bernie, hope he falls into a giant black hole for f**k*ng up beyond all recognition my beloved F1 and Tony George just because he a dumb-ass who screwed up Indycar racing forever).
Fax
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2006, 08:54:09 am »

The Spa 24 Hours is the second biggest event after the F1 race (now the biggest  Grin ). In the 80s it was more of a touring car race. Now it's part of the FIA GT shedule. So, you have the FIA GT1 (Maserati MC12, 'Rarri 575, etc.)and GT2 ('Rarri 360, Porsche, is there any other ?) cars. Additionally you have a national class with cars from the Belgian GT championship (Belcar) and a guest class with some very rare cars.

It's a bit like baby LM but with access to the pits. I only can warmly recommend it.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2006, 02:48:33 pm »

I might just go and have a looky - as part of my continuing education it seems almost compulsory.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:27:56 pm by fran » Logged
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2006, 03:12:01 pm »

Good idea Fran, it is a lot of fun. I recommend camping in the wooded area behind the main straight, little shelter for the inevitable rain at Spa!!

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2006, 01:24:22 am »

Did I say somewhere that I was in the pits for the race last year @ Spa?

No?

Well, I was...jolly good it was too Smiley
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2006, 01:29:13 am »

Showing off again Smokie?

Was that at the 24 hours or the 1000kms?  Do you have any useful information for me?!!  Huh How long is the drive from Calais or thereabouts?
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2006, 01:39:02 am »

Yes.

It was the 1000kms.

I haven't a clue how long the drive was but would guess 3 hours. It's all motorway.

I stayed in a comfy hotel in Liege but it was a long way away (30 mins maybe?). There was a spare bed though...   Wink Tongue
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2006, 01:41:16 am »

Comfy hotel indeed - you softie!! - anyway you know i prefer to be camping near the action  Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: