Club Arnage
September 27, 2024, 04:16:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spa dropped from the F1 calendar  (Read 11760 times)
Fax
« on: February 09, 2006, 02:02:08 pm »

Reason number three thousand and one to think F1 is a steaming pile of crap.  The most majestic road circut in the world still in use is no longer good enough for F1?  I'm sure there's another third world nation just dying to have a GP, Cambodia perhaps.  What a collection of idiots...
Fax
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=6&id=2323400
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:28:39 pm »

It has been a rumour for some time but now it's fact. I'm sorry for the Ardennes region. The race used to pull spectators and money. I also wonder what the true reasons are. I read somewhere that a new pit complex is planned at the 'bus stop'. There's also this 'trois circuits' project which is unlikely to start in the next few years because of lack of money. The only positive thought  I come up with is that if the poison dwarf drops Spa completely there's hope that they tear down the fences and make it a true spectator circuit again.
It seems that Hockenheim will be next on the dwarf's hate list.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Fax
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 02:39:51 pm »

This could be a blessing in reality.  If they only drew 50,000 spectators last year as the article says, the race is a money loser, they're spending too much money to host it and they'll be better off without it.  As for Hockenheim, they can bulldoz the place for all I care after the way they've butchered that circut.
Fax
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 02:44:29 pm by Fax » Logged
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 02:45:35 pm »

It seems that Hockenheim will be next on the dwarf's hate list.

Quite right too!! No offence to our German pals but I have never understood why the European GP is (almost) always held in Germany. Why can't it rotate like the European presidency? I seem to remember this decision had something to do with a certain fat ex-Chancellor?

I say we should bring back the Grand Prix of Gibralta and Mr Ustinov.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 03:02:32 pm »

It must be old fashioned like Silverstone - there aren't enough fences, the crowds are too close, there's not enough corporate hospitality venues on track or 5 star hotels in the area.

Didn't Mrs Ecclestone have the licence to run this one

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 03:07:57 pm »

If they only drew 50,000 spectators last year as the article says, the race is a money loser, they're spending too much money to host it and they'll be better off without it. 

What a surprise, with GA-tickets rising well over 100 pounds sterling on race day only - while people behind you find a gap through the gates in the forrest. Precisely the same story like Zandvoort in the seventies, where people just jumped the fences in the dunes Undecided

As for Hockenheim, they can bulldoz the place for all I care after the way they've butchered that circuit.
Fax
Another act of that same ol' poisones dwarf, how to ruin a circuit in two months...  Roll Eyes

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Fax
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 03:09:48 pm »

Andy,
If memory serves me correctly, in the eighties the European GP was (almost) always held at Brands Grin .  Be glad its not now, they'd f**k up the circut beyond all recognition to host a F1 race.  As I said, losing the GP may not be a bad thing for Spa.  When Mid-Ohio lost their CART round a few years ago, people who really don't understand the economics of the sport thought it would be a huge hit to the circut, but the reality is the circut has never been healthier than it is now.  That CART race was a money pit, especially with the sagging attendance of recent years.  They're glad to be rid of it.
Fax
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 03:54:48 pm »

From a nostalgic point of view, it is a shame, but inevitable with the dwarf’s sole interest in corporate hospitality revues – these older circuits just do not have the infrastructure at the circuit or in the area. Same sh*t as Silverstone, they have ruined the circuit and just have no interest in racing FANS, just constrain them, give them poor viewing and then rip them off!  Like you say Fax, SPA will probably be best off without it and use there budgets more wisely supporting other series, I think the little Git has got his way and it may as well be considered as an Asian series now, shame because it was an industry that we could be proud of and a lot of people will loose their jobs because of its European decline.
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 05:14:40 pm »

It is a shame for the drivers not to go to Spa next year, it is probably the last circuit for drivers with bollocks, specially in an F1 car. On the other hand, if you look at attendance, 50.000 is not enough to make a profit, so I think for the survival of the circuit it might not be so bad. Knowing the poison dwarf, he would probably flatten out eau rouge for safety reasons!!!

Good news is, we can still go to Spa and enjoy some real racing in the LMES series and of course visit the 24 hours of Spa, which attracts some 100,000 spectators weather permitting!

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:58:11 pm »

I wonder how many more European Venues will go ( Not Tukey - not really european ?? )

Eventually it will start a decline in European interst as Ian says, and eventually F1 may just fall of its purch. What a shame.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Fax
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 07:13:50 pm »

I would think of concern to many would be if more & more races are held in the east, would teams themselves start re-locating there.  Could be a big economic hit.  It sounds like the decline in European interest is already well underway if they're only drawing 50,000 to Spa. Most of the people I know who are (or should I say were) long-time F1 fans have thrown in the towel on F1 a long time ago.  The only people I know who still follow it here are a couple of ex-pats down at the local pub who fits Matt's perfectly described profile as having shaved heads, tattooed necks and live in soccer jerseys.
Fax
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 06:40:09 pm »

Andy,
If memory serves me correctly, in the eighties the European GP was (almost) always held at Brands Grin .
Correct, if twice is (almost) always. 1983 and 1985. The only other European GP in the 80s was 1984 at the then brand new Nurburgring.
Spa is back on for a GP in 2007, BTW.
Fax
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 06:59:20 pm »

Ah yes KPY, Brands only twice during eighties.  But prior to that England used to host two or three non-championship F1 races a year.  What ever happened to those?  Oh thats right, the evil pygmy got control of the sport Lips Sealed
Good to hear its back on the calendar for '07...for now.  Hate to see it get replaced by the GP of Taiwan.
Fax
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 08:44:24 pm »

Good to hear its back on the calendar for '07...for now.  Hate to see it get replaced by the GP of Taiwan.
Fax
Two lines of thought on this, one its good to maintain an (F1) world leading industry and a centre of operational excelence second to none for a couple of years longer, but two, the core vaule of a racing spectacle which we (race fans) will pay good money to see has gone. So if it does head east, it will open up the opportunities for new formulas that will resore the opportunities for the fan base to return. Might force a change for the good, the european teams should see the writing on the wall.   
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 08:58:54 pm »

Correct, if twice is (almost) always. 1983 and 1985. The only other European GP in the 80s was 1984 at the then brand new Nurburgring.

Thought Senna's balls-out sixth to first at the end of lap one at Donington in the wet was the European GP that year (1991?)??

As to dropping Spa, long live the Spa 24 hrs, LMES, GT racing etc.   F1 has long ceased to be a much interest to most of us I think, although having a good bitch about its latest Ar*e bollox decisions always brings out a nice crop of nostalgic posts!

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: