Club Arnage
September 20, 2024, 12:42:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The way it was  (Read 3309 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2006, 01:36:07 pm »

I am sure most of you have come across the RSC site.
Just popped onto it to look at the updates and found these, the site now also has F1 and touring cars from the golden age!

http://www.racingsportscars.com/f1/Nurburgring-1974-08-04-photo.html

The 74 German GP from the Ring, check out Ickx and the rest airbourne, the rears spinning up.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fax
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 02:10:37 pm »

Morning Nordic,
I'm a regular visitor to that site, some nice stuff on there.  For me it brings back a lot of great old memories of Can-Am and IMSA weekends gone by at Mid-Ohio.  I can smell the intoxicating mix of morning dew on the freshly mown grass, the corn fields next to the circut, and the smell of bacon cooking mixing with the sweet smell of racing fuel in the morning.
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 03:53:00 pm »

I am peleased to say that I have been able to help on the RSC site, if you have any photos from races not already covered, I am sure Martin would be pleased to hear from you.

http://www.yesterdaysneuz.com/secondpage.htm

another gallery with some fine shots.
All CanAm and indy at the moment but this may bring a tear to your eye..........
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 03:54:56 pm by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fax
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 05:36:46 pm »

Your right Nordic, that site makes me very, very misty-eyed.  My first race was the 1971 Mid-Ohio Can-Am and my first 500 was 1972, that site covers those glory days.  Especially evocative some of the 1972 pics of Francois Cevert, my dad, uncle, brother & I met Francois in the paddock on Saturday, and yes, he was as striking looking as they always said, talk about someone who was born to be a Grand Prix driver.
Fax
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 10:01:31 pm by Fax » Logged
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 10:58:01 am »

http://www.chuckbrandt.com/greenwood.htm

Another good site with some interesting photos and articles about a disused track in the USA.

Even some Cobra pictures for Steve Brown!

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 11:00:23 am »

Thanks Nordic.  My fellow cobrateers (20 of us) will be running around the Classic paddocks like kids in sweet shops.  Grin

Steve East Anglian cobras

Fax
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 05:54:19 pm »

Very nice article and photos Nordic.  Its encouraging that even though it hasn't been used in three decades, its still there.  Here's hoping they can restore it.  There are so many great venues from that period that have been reduced to residential communities, Riverside and Bridgehampton spring to mind instantly.  Many of North America's great current road racing venues started life in that period and were fortunate enough to escape the fate of those unfortunate others.  Jim Hall always has great stories about racing at places like that.
Fax
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: