Club Arnage
June 26, 2024, 02:55:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More earthworks at LM  (Read 41018 times)
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 11:49:48 pm »

Oh God I am going to miss that Dunlop press club building, fantastic place for night photos.
I bet they make it more difficult for cripples like me to get down onto the track at 1600 hrs on Sunday too.

Sad

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 01:21:39 am »

Change can always be good and bad, although, does the circuit need more places for overtaking ?

Take life by the horns and live it.
Fax
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 01:39:12 am »

They've turned the circut into giant point & squirt karting track.  Its all about short straights and chicanes.  You scrabble through a chicane then mash down on the throttle, throw on the anchors and pop & fart through another chicane.  There's no flow to the circut anymore, and bashing through chicanes is hardly a test of a drivers ability.  Why in the f**ck are they so afraid of medium and high speed corners?  Thats where you really separate the men from the boys.  Its laughable to watch on TV too.  They're destroying all of the hallmarks and heritage of the place.  When I became a racing fan and I thought of Le Mans, things like the Mulsanne Straight, the fairground next to the esses, the Dunlop curve, the old pits, were all what came to mind.  They're all gone now, it might as well be Jerez or Valencia.  The place bares no resemblence at all to the circut that existed for decades.  If I go back this year, it'll be to see friends and have a good party, to be honest the race itself has become a piss-poor shadow of what it once was and holds little interest for me.  If I want to watch a race I'll go to Sebring or Road Atlanta.
Fax
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 01:41:08 am by Fax » Logged
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 05:53:55 am »

What the f**ck are the ACO up to?  :oI thought Le Mans was a road race for road going based cars, they are turning the place into a sterile F1 type circuit. Personally I think they f**cked it up when they changed the run down to esses, and you can guarentee that the viewing areas will be even further away with this lasest change. Sad
Hi BobU I agree completely would just add: FENCES  Cry Cry for those who ahave not yet made the trek to Le Mans get there soon before it is all gone.
Canada Phil
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 08:57:14 am »

If I'm getting this correctly, the Dunlop chicane is going to be tighter?!  Which begs the question WHY?!  Fax

The chicane is getting tighter, but there this is because there is a staight section just before it. This is required because the pit lane exit has been moved so that the extra garages can be built.

To be honest a chicane is a chicane no matter how tight or open it is. That section was f**ked anyway since it was put in.

Most of the current mods have been forced onto the track by either the FIM or the local gov for there tramway.

Just out of interest, since the chicanes have been put onto the Mulsanne, has there been a serious crash there that resulted in injury apart from the flying merc?

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 09:36:51 am »

Just out of interest, since the chicanes have been put onto the Mulsanne, has there been a serious crash there that resulted in injury apart from the flying merc?

A Jaguar E type had a nasty off down the far end at last years Classic.

Steve East Anglian cobras

neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 11:39:23 am »

If I'm getting this correctly, the Dunlop chicane is going to be tighter?!  Which begs the question WHY?!  What the f**ck!  Do they want to make sure the cars come to complete stop before accelerating away?  Why not put a traffic light there complete with a school crossing guard...
I may be bit old fashioned but I always thought part of the premise of motor racing was cars actually going fast.
Stupid f**ckers is the thought that springs to mind when I think of the ACO.
Fax

but do remember, the 24hr Car race is only one of many races held there each year for many different forumula and Vehicles - and chicanes are needed to slow some of these down. 

Silverstone did similar about 10years ago with their revisions  - taking it from being one of the fastest circuits of its day, to one where spectator viewing was more readily available - virtually all the corners were revised/removed.   
Fax
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 01:44:53 pm »

You say they need the chicanes to slow vehicles down, just out of curiosity, why do they need to be slowed down?  At US speedways the specatators are very close to sustained high speed action (far higher than at any Euro venue) and accidents invloving spectators are very rare.   Everyone I know who's been to Silverstone since the changes tell me its crap now!
Fax
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 01:47:07 pm by Fax » Logged
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 05:30:37 pm »

You say they need the chicanes to slow vehicles down, just out of curiosity, why do they need to be slowed down?  Fax

Thats a very good question that I ask myself since the Woodcote chicane was inserted at silverstone, the first one that I really came across.

I don't think the Dunlop corner or the run into the Esses needed slowing, there is after all a pedal the drivers can use if the car is getting a bit out of hand. That whole section of track has now changed since I first went and its not a patch on what was there before.

Having said that the new esses section is not in itself a bad set of bends IMHO, and on any other track would be good, but they are just not as good as the original.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fax
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 05:39:58 pm »

Nordic, you hit on the screws.  Its up to the driver and his right foot to control the situation.  At the Ring and the Montjuich Park circut in Barcelona there were several places where cars became airborne, it was up to the driver to control how airborne he got.  Agreed about the old Woodcote corner, that was one of the most majestic corners in all of racing, they've butchered that circut all to hell & back.  Corners like Stowe, Club and Abbey used to be mind melters.
Fax
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 10:21:41 pm »

ACO has posted loads of pics here. http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/dossiers/travaux/index.html

Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 10:53:29 am »

ACO has posted loads of pics here. http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/dossiers/travaux/index.html

Martini...

The current webcam is rather depressing

http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/dossiers/travaux/i_travaux_village_webcam.html

Steve East Anglian cobras

Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 04:13:05 pm »

At least the sun is out! It looks bl****dy awful. Yuk! Roll Eyes

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 04:49:54 pm »

I think the ACO are being totally irresponsible!  Someone could have a very bad accident when they drive over the top of that big mound!
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 07:45:28 pm »

I think the ACO are being totally irresponsible!  Someone could have a very bad accident when they drive over the top of that big mound!
Hi Dave,
              First time out of the pits will be exciting too. May need more than diesel to get through that terrain Roll Eyes 4 wheel drive atleast Grin Canada Phil
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: