Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 05:24:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting to Le Mans  (Read 14300 times)
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 11:57:44 am »

the road of death, the N138.

For some of us it's the road of fun!! Grin 

Though it does depend on what you're driving & is only to be taken at speed on the way down when the blood/booze levels are low!!

Hopefully the new road will keep the trucks away from the N138?? It'll also make the trip home on Monday much easier!!
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 12:03:48 pm »

Whats the road over Pont De Brotonne like - is this to be a CA recommended route?

I hadn't realised there was a bridge between Tancarville and Rouen, I thought it was all National Park

The bridge is by a village called Caudebec
If the road through Rouen is clear then this route is slower, and longer, however if you are going to hit Rouen during the morning or evening rush hour it is worth considering. Some extra tolls are involved, can't remember how much but it's not huge, as the motorway to Yvetot is paege, and there is a toll on the bridge itself.
Road south, D490/D913 to Bourg-Achard, is a pleasant run down the side of the Foret de Brotonne, part of the National Park. From here you have an option of dropping down to Bourgtheroulde to pick up the N138, or hopefully access the new motorway fairly easily near Bourg-Achard.
N.B. This is not a fast route, but prehaps more relaxing than a traffic jam in Rouen.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 12:11:22 pm »

Hopefully the new road will keep the trucks away from the N138?? It'll also make the trip home on Monday much easier!!

Think it will take some of the HGV traffic off the N138, however there will still be a lot of lorries going in and out of the industrial/commercial estates at every town along the route. Last time I used the N138 I would estimate that over 35% of HGV's were turning off at the towns along the route.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 12:15:33 pm by Barry » Logged
Geordie

Le Mans - bl**dy cold in winter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 12:45:53 pm »

Point taken about Yvetot maybe being the better option to avoid Rouen's jams at peak traffic periods.  ViaMichelin still recommends the eastern route http://tinyurl.com/du5q3
I particularly like the instruction at stage 5 - 'Pass Rouen' HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 03:46:29 pm by Geordie » Logged
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 02:28:09 pm »

Geordie, old horse.

For long web addresses, try this - http://tinyurl.com/

Here's your ViaMichelin link condensed http://tinyurl.com/du5q3

(it saves having to use the horizontal scroll bar as well!)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 02:30:02 pm by Steve Brown » Logged

Steve East Anglian cobras

Geordie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 03:43:40 pm »

Ta v much, Steve - will do!   Embarrassed
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2005, 04:25:58 pm »

I like that information just above "Pass Rouen"

The bit with a speed camera AND the relevant speed limit.

I wonder if we can get that sort of info off the AA or RAC for the UK.

Should I hold my breath until?

Grin

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Geordie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 04:38:16 pm »

Yep, it is a pretty neat thing for them to add speed camera locations to route directions, isn't it?  One thing, though - it's been in the news recently that they are investing in more speed guns for mobile patrols - toys for les flics to play with if they get bored polishing their other guns.

Just after Le Mans this year they interviewed the chef cochon of the Sarthe who proudly reported a record number of breath checks as well during Le Mans race week.  But the only Brit they copped wasn't even there for the race! 
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 07:04:51 pm »

I think it's even funnier that it tells Steve it will only cost him 11.48 Euros in petrol!!!!! 
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 07:32:32 pm »

I think it's even funnier that it tells Steve it will only cost him 11.48 Euros in petrol!!!!! 

Thanks Mark  Grin  That'll be 11.48 euros for the petrol for our generator then!

More like 211.48 euros  Roll Eyes

Steve East Anglian cobras

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 05:07:41 pm »

Whats the road over Pont De Brotonne like - is this to be a CA recommended route?

I hadn't realised there was a bridge between Tancarville and Rouen, I thought it was all National Park

The bridge is by a village called Caudebec
If the road through Rouen is clear then this route is slower, and longer, however if you are going to hit Rouen during the morning or evening rush hour it is worth considering. Some extra tolls are involved, can't remember how much but it's not huge, as the motorway to Yvetot is paege, and there is a toll on the bridge itself.
Road south, D490/D913 to Bourg-Achard, is a pleasant run down the side of the Foret de Brotonne, part of the National Park. From here you have an option of dropping down to Bourgtheroulde to pick up the N138, or hopefully access the new motorway fairly easily near Bourg-Achard.
N.B. This is not a fast route, but prehaps more relaxing than a traffic jam in Rouen.

Agreed, it makes alot of sense to use this route if you are using Dieppe, but from Calais it is quite a few extra miles.

I have not used the bridge for 3 years now, and the last time I did we split up, 1/2 thru Rouen the others over the bridge, the bridge was about 30 mins longer but alot less stress and fewer chances of map reading cockups.

Experiance has shown us that if you go wrong in Rouen it can really spoil your day.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Geordie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2005, 06:41:33 pm »

fewer chances of map reading cockups
I gave up trying to read a map and driving at the same time - also no longer let the wife look at the map and say things like 'You have to turn left somewhere up ahead', 'This road isn't on the map' and 'I think you should have turned left back there'.  Just keep a list of major towns along the route, follow any signs for the same and if in doubt keep straight on.  Crap advice?  Maybe, but it works for me.  I think the buggery bit  is when you hit that bit where you have to filter right, you're trapped in the left lane and have to cut across to the right - woooaaaaahhh! Shocked Shocked
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2005, 06:58:53 pm »

You'd think they could have got that right, wouldn't you? When our ministry built the first motorway it was intended as a by-pass round Preston.

If ever a place needed by-passing more than Preston...

Huh
What are you saying about my lovely city Perdu ?

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, thank you !
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2005, 07:04:56 pm »

Last year, our biggest problems apart from the Rouen hold ups, were over an hour was lost queueing for 3 poxy traffic lights on the N138 ! I got out and walked few 1 /2 mile and beat the car !
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2005, 08:27:01 pm »

I think the buggery bit  is when you hit that bit where you have to filter right, you're trapped in the left lane and have to cut across to the right - woooaaaaahhh! Shocked Shocked
Isn't it to the left?  or is that coming back - its a real pain with a caravan, and yes I know we get in the way, but only at Rouen

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: