Club Arnage
September 21, 2024, 09:40:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What a joy  (Read 11145 times)
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 03:04:13 pm »

I think we hardened to Murray Walker - still part of the institution, but when F1 was on Eurosport, I preferred Wattie till the adverts.  Thank you for screwing this one all up Bernie

As for Mansell, why should any multimillionaire risk their life in a sportscar for a mere few grand.  (Forgive me Mario, but James Hunt was more interested in Tennis).  Lets hope Nige can win a few more as we're not doing too well in F1 or A1GP for that matter, but the Brits are clearing up in Indycar/DTM/Karts etc

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Fax
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 03:06:56 pm »

Mansell in a sportscar?  You're kidding right?  He doesn't do anything unless he's getting paid a truck load of money. And driving a car with someone else's name besides his own on it? He wants to stand in the limelight alone, sharing the glory is a concept unknown to him.  If he can't bask in the glow of his fans adulation alone than he won't have anything to do with it.  Endurance racing is too much of a team sport for that w**k*r.
Fax
garystout
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 05:24:02 pm »

Maybe a few polls are called for on these issues  Undecided

Le Mans is for life, not just for Christmas
Fax
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 05:27:01 pm »

All of my Mansell bashing aside, and making fun of the extra unsprung weight these guys are carrying now, I think if they really want to bring back the good old days they need to erect about eight layers of catch fencing so we can watch Andrea De Cesaris mow them down.  I mean think of it, was there ever a more predictable sight at each race than a red & white McLaren or Alfa all waded up in wire mesh & catch poles.  How he ever survived all those years in F1 is amazing. Andrea single-handedly proved the crash integrity of carbon fiber during that first year at McLaren in '81.  Come on you wacky Roman!  Just for old times sake, lets see you barrel roll off into the countryside.
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 06:58:09 pm »

I think I know the problem.  As you get older these things hurt more. 

De Cesaris must have bad arthritis too from the more minor bangs.  Besides hitting things, doesn't he hold the record for not hitting things - the most number of spins (5?) in a F1 car

Plus he did bring Marlborough sponsorship into F1

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Fax
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 07:18:05 pm »

Not sure about the spin thing but I know he holds some kind of record for the number of shunts in a single season, in 1981.  Marlboro was in the sport well before Andrea (made his debut in late 1980 for Alfa).  Big Lou Stanley of BRM introduced Marlboro to F1 as a sponsor of his team in 1972, replacing Yardley who jumped ship to McLaren.  Andrea did have Marlboro backing, that's what got him placed in Ron Dennis's Project 4 formula 2 team.
Fax
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 09:41:03 pm »

Still, good to see tem all back in a race car. I'm still ROFLing at your comments about A.d.C., Fax.  Grin

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Fax
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 10:27:46 pm »

Agreed HGB, good to see some of these guys back in a race car again.  No doubt about it, you could have made a series of Havoc tapes from Andrea's F1 career alone.
My personal favorite was the start of the 1982 Austrian GP where he made a demon start and then went to great effort to swerve clear across the width of the track and clobber his teamate Bruno "Jack O'Maley"  Bang! two Alfa's out on the spot. It was fricking hilarious.
Fax
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2005, 11:44:55 pm »

Well, Fax, you may be a little over the top and opinionated about Nige, BUT. I think you are right. I supported NM when he was racing but must admit toward the end I found him to be a bit of a whinger, etc, etc. Who else was there to support?
When you think about it though the only true racer of our times was SENNA. There is not an argument to this statement...think before you reply

M...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Fax
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2005, 01:53:49 am »

Martini,
You are kidding right?  That was a joke?  Senna the only true racer of our times?  LOL, what the f**k times are you talking about?  I'm 43 and have been following the sport since I was eight, my times included Jackie Stewart, Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson, Mario Andretti, Gilles Villeneuve, Keke Rosberg, etc.  I don't even qualify Senna as a racer, he was a thug!  Any driver who would deliberately collide with an opponent or swerve at his oppostion has no busines being called a racer.  He single-handedly corrputed the racers ethic.   The guy was also the most pretentous ass to ever sit in a racing car.  His press conferences bleating on about his beliefs and virtues, yadda, yadda, what the f**k was that all about? You drive racing cars idot, your not a world leader. That tirade in Australia in 1989 is still a classic, the guy clearly took himself way too seriously!  Nigel was a pissing & moaning clown but Christ! at least he never intentionally took someone off the track at 170 mph.  Like I said, I'm not sure what times your talking about but they sure as hell aren't mine.
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2005, 05:19:16 pm »

To me at least, Senna was the fastest guy on track of his generation. But he had a serious flaw, as fax has pointed out. He changed the face of motorsport with his needless antics for the worse.

To their enternal shame, neither of his teams, Lotus and McLaren, the other drivers or FISA calmed him down.

His drive at a wet Donny was sublime and should be classed as one of the greats, but I cannot forgive him for his part in making motorsport a contact sport.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 09:02:56 pm by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fax
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 03:28:15 am »

Agreed Nordic,
There were days when you just watched him in awe, and his record for poles will probably never be broken.  Suzuka '88 and Donnington '93 were examples of him at his breathtaking best but unfortunately there are just as many days like Hungary '88 & '90, and Suzuka 1990, when he was a disgrace to the sport.  His blatant disregard for his safety and the safety of his colleagues and marshals made one seriously question his mental stability.  The late Michele Alboreto, Damon Hill, and Keke Rosberg, among others, have all said the same thing, that he was so talented there was never a reason for him to behave the way he did and that if the FIA had put the clamps on him when he first started his bullsh**t we wouldn't have to watch the immature antics we see from todays drivers.  Every driver in the junior ranks saw him getting away with it and figured they could to, Michael Schumacher being the most obvious example.  I'll always remember staying up late to watch the 1990 Japanese GP live from Suzuka, had a couple of friends over, had some beers, really excited about the prospect of another Adelaide 1986 thriller to decide the title.  What happened on the first lap of that race was really the beginning of the end of my affection for F1.
Fax
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 03:34:01 am by Fax » Logged
Fax
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 08:44:14 pm »

Anyone seen Martini?
Fax
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2005, 10:36:45 pm »

Anyone seen Martini?
Fax

Back of the top shelf, next to the Campari and Creme de Menthe!!  Grin
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2005, 11:13:06 pm »

Anyone seen Martini?
Fax

Well hello dear Fax, I am indeed here. Somewhat held up and unfortunatenly not answering your rendition as quickly is I would have wished.

I must, rather humbly, agree with your previous statement, and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a most educating volume of information. This indeed was a statement of true worth, as were your previous statements, indeed tour knowledge is of a most immaculate condition. (read envy) Nordic was totally correct in his post. I unfortunately have a blank for all the bad times as there are so many and, unfortunately, can only remember some of the better races. Quite honestly not as may as you and Nordic, or indeed I am sure many others.

I perhaps liken it to music where I do not listen to the words but just the sound as an entity.

As for your comment JPC

'Back of the top shelf, next to the Campari and Creme de Menthe!!'

A. Campari is a rather refreshing pre dinner drink.

B. I have actually raced a gainst JH and not just stood next to him.

Humbly yours... and may LM live on

Martin...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: