Club Arnage
October 05, 2024, 10:11:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi NormanD here  (Read 8877 times)
NormanD

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2005, 09:55:12 pm »

I have been going to LeMans for over 30 years now including the 2 Classics in '02 and '04. This year I decided to make this the last traditional LeMans as the cars now racing don't interest me, and showing my age neither does the camping and crowds. From now I will just do the Classic with a good hotel (already booked).

I live in Surrey, for directions I say all the 3s, 3 miles south of the M3 junction 3.

For everyday transport I drive a Jaguar XKR Coupe 1234 ND with plenty of goodies from Racing Green at Ash Vale. I also have a Bugatti look alike a Teal often seen in Kit magazines called April (the reg number is RPA 1 L).

One of my sons has just sold a GT40 as we are about to build another, an exact replica even down to the right chassis.

Hope to see some of you around, the karting sounds good. went to the one in Aldershot with the GT40 Club the other week.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:25:00 pm »

Welcome, surely the Astons interest you?

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
NormanD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 12:53:18 am »

Welcome, surely the Astons interest you?

That's true, but I think I will still give it a miss next year and leave it as just the Classic. I will be taking in both the Goodwood's as well.

I did drive the 'Ring' this year, didn't kill myself or the car, going back to try again.  Wink
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 11:42:32 am »

Norman, welcome to CA, as a fellow long time Le Manner it would be good to see you at the karting, hopefully you can put a TeamNorm together.

I take you point about the modern cars and I used to agree. But my mind was changed by visiting Sebring this year. The Audis were totally awsome on some of the angles you could spectate from, and I never thought I'd hear myself saying that! It's my conclusion that the ACO are to blame, what with their infernal catch fencing and stupid unecessary track changes, making the event so boring for the average spectator. This applies to the Classic (I've been to both too), it's so hard to find a good place to watch from legally.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 12:09:41 pm »

This applies to the Classic (I've been to both too), it's so hard to find a good place to watch from legally.

Good job we don't only stick to legal veiwing areas then isn't it.

The Classic 2004. Left to right. Andy Zarse, Steve Zarse, JP Chenet, Ferrari Spider.

* pitwall.jpg (61.73 KB, 800x602 - viewed 373 times.)
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 12:12:23 pm »

Oh, and Welcome NormanD.

From your name and your directions I guess you're in Normandy? One of our group lives in Pirbright (my uncle), another in Farnborough, and several of us are from the Basingstoke area.
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 12:39:48 pm »

Hi Norman,

Welcome...

The karting track in Aldershot you went to - was it the one on the army base with the truly awful banked corner?

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 01:18:12 pm »

....... It's my conclusion that the ACO are to blame, what with their infernal catch fencing and stupid unecessary track changes, making the event so boring for the average spectator. This applies to the Classic (I've been to both too), it's so hard to find a good place to watch from legally.
I agree entirely, or are we all becoming grumpy old(ish) men.

And Hi Norman
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 05:10:00 pm by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
RS2 Babe
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 04:36:49 pm »

Kiss Kiss Kiss

You all have man boobs on that photo

Kiss Kiss

Me
xx
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 04:45:42 pm »

welcome Norman, have seen your exploits in kit car magazine with son david!!  don't give up on the racing there is more than the LM 24 we go to.  Having said that i'm one of the few that have NOT been to sebring. Tongue Tongue Tongue

also, in less than 15 words why has it taken you so long to join our merry band mmmmmmh?
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 05:27:21 pm »

Hi Norman, Like you and many others on this site i have been a regular vistor to Le Mans for many year's, and I can also releate to why you may want to give it miss. I have felt the same sometimes as well but I get over that come the end of July when its time to start planning the following year.

I would feel dreadful if I was stuck this side of the channel on race weekend, besides you never know when you are going to get that 'special' year.

Maybe 06 will be the year the first 2 crossing the line yards apart, the Hawian tropic girls tops may just pop off or a scooter crash in the camp site that renders the little buggers f**ked.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 12:39:08 am »

Norman, the logic is simple.  We didn't go in 1955, or 1959, or 1966, or 1969, or 1970, or 1975, or 1982.  It would have been difficult, but not impossible, and we now regret it.  There is no such thing as a time machine - you have to live it now, and on its track record, you cannot afford to miss a single race.  I made 1988 and 1990 and a few other years since, and I'm lucky. I'm not going to miss any more.

Bit p1ssed but I've said this sober

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 09:46:51 am »

Rather surprising that modern Le Mans racing doesn't attract you, since the wide variety of cars did in fact make me decide to visit Le Mans for the first time this year.

I've always been a car nut, especially interested in classic cars. Looking at this year's Le Mans line up, it's like a sixties revival with Astons, Corvettes, Ferraris and so on. Even something with an MG badge on it. All having their own view on how to build a racing car and all having their own particular sound. For me, that's the major attraction to classic cars (beside the smell of Castrol GTR  Tongue).

So in 2006 I'll be attending both classic and modern versions.  Cheesy

NormanD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 05:03:23 pm »

Hi Norman,

Welcome...

The karting track in Aldershot you went to - was it the one on the army base with the truly awful banked corner?

Thats the one, nice and handy for me going through the back doubles.

welcome Norman, have seen your exploits in kit car magazine with son david!!  don't give up on the racing there is more than the LM 24 we go to.  Having said that i'm one of the few that have NOT been to sebring. Tongue Tongue Tongue

also, in less than 15 words why has it taken you so long to join our merry band mmmmmmh?

In less than 15 words!

Am new to forums, started on a Jag site, then PistonHeads, through that found ClubArnage
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 05:43:57 pm »

Norman, am I right in recalling seeing you and your Teal at Le Mans in 1999 / 2000 on a Continental Car Tours trip?

Steve East Anglian cobras

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: