Club Arnage
July 08, 2024, 09:39:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Whats your groups favourite day to travel
Monday before - 1 (2.8%)
Tuesday before - 4 (11.1%)
Wednesday Before - 14 (38.9%)
Thursday Before - 5 (13.9%)
Friday Before - 1 (2.8%)
Saturday morning before race - 0 (0%)
1 Week before ( inc Sunday ) - 9 (25%)
2 weeks - 1 (2.8%)
More ! - 1 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best day to travel to Le Mans  (Read 6291 times)
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:17:21 am »

My lot are going Wednesday lunchtime this year to save a few quid on the ferry costs

Just wondered ( as i am bored ) whats the idea / history for your group

Take life by the horns and live it.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 01:26:18 am »

History has been Wednesday overnighter or Thursday overnighter. This year however an advance party left on the Sunday overnighter. Always via Portsmouth or Poole.

Same plans this year!! (although we won't be saving such a large area  Embarrassed
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 09:32:37 am »

My band of cobrateers have always, traditionally, travelled down very early morning on Wednesday. to arrive in HA late afternoon - then to the Stella bar for 'supper'  Wink

Steve East Anglian cobras

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 09:55:51 am »

Various times of day and days have been tried, the best was late tue or wed evening newhaven crossing, then night drive to the circuit arriving about 5 or 6am. The problem with this was that you felt like sh*t for the first couple of days due to the lack of sleep.

Now we mostly go early Wednesday morning, arriving mid-late afternoon. This does vary as each crew member books there own ferry now and some have used the St Malo or cherboug crossing in recent years.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 10:05:03 am »

We have gone Newhaven-Dieppe in the past, on Thursday morning. The demise of this route meant that we changed to Speedferries.

Always leave the circuit straight after the race, Rouen bound. Stay there the night and then this year, we went up to Le Touquet for a seafood lunch, prior to the boat home on Monday afternoon.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 10:30:51 am »

Our bunch of merry men always travel down on Thursday evening due to the tight gits I work for only giving me 20 days leave a year. Mostly do Dover/Calais but did try Pompey/Le Havre a couple of times. Arrive on Houx Annexe early Friday morning and are most grateful to fellow CAers for saving us space. Always leave 10ish Monday after finishing of all the booze on Sunday night.

We did think of leaving on Sunday night this year due to someone who shall remain nameless burning garden furniture and a white wall tyre causing a smokescreen that a Royal navy destroyer would have been proud of Grin

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 11:37:01 am »

Ideally I would like to leave Sunday morning. We'll have plenty of work again at MB for '06, and it's just nice to see the site gradually fill up. If only we can work on transport, bl00dy French law doesn't allow us to travel on Sunday with 7.5t+ Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 12:37:57 pm »

bl00dy French law doesn't allow us to travel on Sunday with 7.5t+ Undecided
No offence Paddy, but having lorries off the road on Sundays is one of the great pleasures of living in France.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 12:40:16 pm »

bl00dy French law doesn't allow us to travel on Sunday with 7.5t+ Undecided
No offence Paddy, but having lorries off the road on Sundays is one of the great pleasures of living in France.

I agree, its the one day you are assured of making most progress, Dont live in france though

Take life by the horns and live it.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 01:50:25 pm »

We did think of leaving on Sunday night this year due to someone who shall remain nameless burning garden furniture and a white wall tyre causing a smokescreen that a Royal navy destroyer would have been proud of Grin

Ooops !  Roll Eyes

Steve East Anglian cobras

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 02:26:31 pm »

......, bl00dy French law doesn't allow us to travel on Sunday with 7.5t+ Undecided
I thought it was the Dutch that were banned.

We always go in good time to see the scrutineering on Monday and Tuesday, but go on the p!ss instead,  as one does.  The issue is trying to break in on a Sunday - we've given up.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 02:41:05 pm »

In my ideal world I would have bought the house that was for sale 3 years ago those back garden gave you a excellent view of the exit at Indianapolis, and the run down to Arnage. So you could leave 5 minutes before the start of the race, pick your way through CA tents, and sit in a comfortable lounger with a Pimms in your hand, refilled on request by one of my kids on waiter duty. Cool

Back to reality. Cry

Tuesday overnight, gives you time to set up camp, and then see Wednesday qualifying.
Back Monday, so you can drink Sunday.
Would like to go Sunday but at least if you go Tues/Mon you can reply during one of those awkward discussions with the wife about LM "but I'm only away 6 days not a week" Wink
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 08:41:33 pm »

Fairly straightforward with us - One of us (usually me) travels down on Tuesday, to arrive and set up on KN that evening, a couple more normally pitch up on the Wednesday with the rest on Thursday or Friday dependent upon work commitments.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 12:44:10 pm »

Sunday for me, getting onto the camp site is easy, just drive through the main gate, as long as you have all the correct tickets.

I'm with Paddy, its great to see the camp site fill up and greet all those familiar faces.  Also you get into the swing of things as well.
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 02:27:41 pm »

I prefer Wednesday, as early as possible (OK don't laugh Steve, I did have a minor loss of clutch fluid you know) but most of our lot want to arrive on Thursday and as we are booking "en-lump" next year I s'pose it'll be Thursday earlyish. The New motorway should be a big help though, no slow traffic at Sees and suchlike Gendarmerie haunts.

Cheesy

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: