Club Arnage
September 16, 2024, 10:18:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World champions!  (Read 9414 times)
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2005, 10:52:21 am »

Well done to Signior Alonso for becoming the youngest ever world champion. A worth-while successor to Herr Schumacher. And what an accreditation to have on the CV!

I know this aint the Bernie and Max forum but credit where credits due, he deserves it - and a local lad too! (Woodstock-Oxford-Engalnd-Spain).

Maybe this might open the sport up to becoming more competitive and customer friendly?!?

While i'm on it - Well to Valentino Rossi too - another successor to Herr Schumacher perhaps?

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
Fax
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 06:59:39 pm »

There's been lot's a talk about Rossi-san making the jump to four wheels at some point but from everything I've read his interest is in rallying, don't expect to see him wheeling a Ferrari anytime soon, unless they build a WRC Modena Grin
Fax
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 12:39:17 am »

Fax, you are sooo wrong.

Here he is testing for the team...

* rossi at ferrari.jpg (32.31 KB, 800x480 - viewed 323 times.)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 12:46:15 am »

Here he is testing for the team...

Smokie - nicely done - mind you it would probably have gone faster with him driving it like that anyway! Roll Eyes

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
garystout
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 01:17:02 pm »

Very very good Roll Eyes

Le Mans is for life, not just for Christmas
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 04:58:59 pm »

Oh yesss!

Superb.

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 07:16:44 pm »

(I can claim no credit for it - stolen from another forum!)
Fax
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 06:38:49 am »

Like we've said before, Photoshop's a wonderful thing.  Rossi jumping to F1 makes for good tabloid stuff but I'll believe it when I see it.  Personally before he calls it a day I'd like to see him return to Aprillia and take the premier class title back to the company that gave him his first championships.  THAT would be the way to round off the career of the greatest rider in history.
Fax
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 03:14:04 pm »

Personally before he calls it a day I'd like to see him return to Aprillia and take the premier class title back to the company that gave him his first championships. 

Unfortunately Aprilla no longer run a MotoGp team, and are unlikely to in the near future due to financial contraints.
If he was inclined to change manufactuers again, then Ducati would be the obvious choice. If he won the World Championship for them, he would be raised to heights above Godliness. However in the past Ducati has tried to get his services, but failed, and for reasons I don't understand they have just signed up Gibernau.

Rossi to Ferrari?
Well the money wouldn't be a problem, sponsers would be queueing from Modena to Rome to have their name attached to Rossi/Ferrari.
Motivation? I can't see Rossi retiring at 27 and just partying for the rest of his life.
Ralleying? Had a go on the RAC a couple of years ago, and crashed out on the first stage, since then he has been a little quieter on the subject.
Skill? Time will tell.
Do Ferrari want him? If he has the skill to be at least competitive, then they would sell their Grannies to get him.

Some of the motorcyling press seem to be convinced he can match John Surtees' achievments, if he can, in the motor sport world of the 21st century, then he would be worthy of being crowned the greatest rider /driver ever.
And that is the sort of challenge that Valentino Rossi will not be able to resist, if he thinks he can do it.   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 09:12:58 pm by Barry » Logged
Fax
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 04:20:26 am »

I really think the whole Rossi-Ferrari notion is alot of fantasy stuff.  Comparing what Il Grande John did in the early sixties to what Rossi would have to pull off is pointless.  In the era that Surtees made the switch the dynamics of driving a 1.5 liter F1 car and a GP bike were quite similar, both generated no downforce and were mounted on narrow, hard tires.  GP cars had to be driven with the finesse of a bike to get the best from them.  Jumping into a contemporary, complex F1 car generating massive amounts of downforce and grip would bare little resemblance to riding a Moto GP bike.  Am I the only person who remembers when the other great Italian bike ace Giacomo Agostini tried to make the jump to F1 cars in the old Aurora series in the late seventies?  He found it a very different animal and had little success.
Fax
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 04:40:49 am »

Am I the only person who remembers when the other great Italian bike ace Giacomo Agostini tried to make the jump to F1 cars in the old Aurora series in the late seventies?  He found it a very different animal and had little success.
Fax
Hi Fax,
          Some of us are old enough to remember not only the great Ago but Mike "The Bike" Hailwood too. he too did not do well in F1
Canada Phil
Fax
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 05:01:19 am »

Hey Phil,
I think there are a few old school types like you & I out there.  Good old Mike the Bike won the 1972 Euro F2 title but as you said, never really cut it in F1.  Good to hangout with you at the Petit.
Fax
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 05:08:54 am »

Hey Phil,
I think there are a few old school types like you & I out there.  Good old Mike the Bike won the 1972 Euro F2 title but as you said, never really cut it in F1.  Good to hangout with you at the Petit.
Fax
Hi Fax,
          I did not know that. Sorry I missed you on the Sunday morning. What a great week end it was. Really nice to meet up with you and the Harpers and Randy and Lee and.. all the others whose names i forget.
Canada Phil
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 09:38:38 am »

Damon Hill was another (not quite so successful !) biker who switched to four wheels.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 02:11:36 pm »

There were press cuttings a few months back with him having a day at the Ferrari test track with Mr Shu and his red fiat.

He lapped their track within 0.2 secs of Shume, and i think thats when all the fuss started. He hasnt ever stated anything else publically on it.

IF you read his biography by Matt Oxley you will realise that he couldnt get a 125 bike around the first corner. He kept crashing, but its the lessons he learnt and self  taught that made him how good a rider he is today.

He may want to go rallying, and he will crash lots. but once he figures out why, he has the skill to change his style, learn from his mistakes ( which most drivers cant ) and win.

I'd put a good bet on with a bookies for him to win a DRIVERS title.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: