Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 07:20:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A1 Grand Prix  (Read 13095 times)
rcutler
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 10:58:10 am »

Just seen that Jan Lammers is running the Dutch team!!

Now who do I support Huh
SteveZarse
CA Veteran

Probably the best llama in the world

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 11:22:36 am »

Just seen that Jan Lammers is running the Dutch team!!

Now who do I support Huh

There's only one answer to that - Team GB of course, led by racing legend John Surtees MBE! I don't think it'll be much longer before Mr Rossi is sharing his 'all-rounder' crown, but until then, there is only one! And he's a Brit!  Grin

TEAM ZARSE - It's our pleasure!
rcutler
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 11:38:03 am »

Steve, It is probably unknown to you but I am Half Dutch so it makes me only half English too.
SteveZarse
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 12:00:54 pm »

Steve, It is probably unknown to you but I am Half Dutch so it makes me only half English too.

That's even more reason to support GB - it'll take your mind off it for a while!

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 10:13:56 pm »

From the practice it doesn't seem too bad , except GB are 5th and the Dutch way back.  Still its good to see British cars are on the front row of the grid (with British engines and tyres too)

I see that the Avon slicks have been rebranded " Cooper" after the name of the parent company, who proudly boast to be the eighth largest tyre company in the world.  Most people have trouble naming another 7.

And was that the DFH banner I saw? (Sky wouldn't show a clear view)

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2005, 02:41:24 am »

i thought it was cracking personally - cars with enourmous rear tyres, sliding around, needing a someone to man handle them to make them quick.

Well done Nelson Piquet Junior - that powerslide was what motor racing SHOULD be about - pure commitment....

looking forward to seeing the race now - wish i could be there......

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 11:52:40 pm »

Too bad about the English Team, worst way to leave a race premature is still from leading position... (but at least you led the race for a -short- while!
Second race was pretty good to watch, with the orange car ending 7th from 25th! Cool

And was that the DFH banner I saw? (Sky wouldn't show a clear view)
Nope, that was the Jos Verstappen Army. He still has an amazing amount of fans.
I was impressed by the amount of Dutchies at the track, some of them we even recognised from Le Mans!

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2005, 10:32:12 am »

What is it with you guys, is it a crime in Holland to be photographed without a beer in your hands? Grin

I did enjoy the A1 race, real racing on proper tyres. Will be interesting to see if it is as well supported in other countries. Lets hope it is a kick up the arse for the little fella.

I liked the commentary, no schoolboy like excitement and inane chatter, just facts and figures. I always liked John Watson's style of commentary when he was Doing F1 for Eurosport.

And Georgie Thompson is a whole lot better to look at than Jim Rosenthal

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2005, 11:26:30 am »

Yes indeed Bob, that is a crime!  Angry

Didn't you know that?  Shocked

Really enjoyed the race yesterday, I missed the sprint because was on my way to my parents at that time, but managed to watch the main race overthere. Lot's of action, and it's very clear that you need some driving capability to keep the car on the track! Way more fun to watch then the F1 in the evening!

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
SteveZarse
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2005, 12:52:25 pm »

Grin

Still got a huge grin on my face - it was absolutely bloody brilliant! Ok we didn't win anything (apart from a few thousand dollars in the sprint race) but what a fantastic day! Nelsiño was supreme, just so much quicker than those around him and the race had everything. I'm sure that all who were there will agree that this Sheikh Maktoum Hashish Maktoum Al Maktoum (who seems a really nice guy) has to be onto a winner with this, and before long I'm convinced he'll represent a HUGE rocket (Challenger size) up Bernie's self-important, over-pampered, midget arse!

Can't wait for next year... Grin Grin Grin

Fax
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2005, 02:33:11 pm »

To be honest guys I serisously doubt that Bernie is shaking in his Gucci's over this series.  It may have provided some good entertainment but lets face it...Its spec car racing!  A single make, single engine, single tire formula is not Grand Prix racing.  And any race where Alex Yoong finishes in the top 5 has credibility issues.
I'm very surprised that know one has yet brought up the fact that Englishman Dan Wheldon clinched the IRL championship yesterday at Watkins Glen.  I'm no fan of the IRL (or anything else Tony George has anything to do with)
but the sight of big pro single seaters returning to the GP circut at the Glen made me smile.  Bernie killed F1 in the US the day he pulled the USGP away from the challenging upstate New York circut in 1981.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2005, 03:20:52 pm »

Agreed Fax, I am sure the racing was close and the support bill entertaining, but a 'world cup of drivers' it ain't, unless the football world cup is only going to draw its players from the 2nd or 3rd divison or the GB olympics team picks me for the 100m.

Piquet Junior aside (and his F3 races where not always the best) the rest do lack a bit of pedigee in order for it to be as billed.

Where it did score is the pre event publicity, radio ad's, newspapers, poster's etc. must have cost a packet, but it worked, 30000 paying punters. If only the LMES could do something along those lines.

As an aside, was Berine in charge in 81 when the Glen lost the F1, or was it that that fat french fool Balastre (?)

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fax
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005, 03:31:13 pm »

Nordic,
I think it was mostly Bernie's doing.  JMB was FIA president at the time but I think Bernie and FOCA were negotiating with the venues.  That dumb-ass left Watkins Glen for Las Vegas...That worked out well.  Most F1 fans over here have never forgiven him for that.  The Glen is the spiritual home of GP in the US, always has been, always will be.
Fax
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2005, 03:37:09 pm »

Think the be-wigged dwarf was still running Brabham in 81, so must have been JMB behing moving form Watkins.

Anyhow, the A1 organisers have been at pains to point out that they are definitely not trying rival F1, and Bernie thinks its a great idea too. For a start, it kicks off just as F1 finishes it's season.

Yes, it's single spec racing, but IMO, what the paying public have been starved of recently is close and exiting single seater racing. They seem to have got it in spades. That there were 30k plus folk at Brands on a cold late Sept sunday, each paying £40 odd to get through the turnstiles, kinda proves my point. How many years ago did that last happen. Group C sports cars or the Glory Days of the ETC/BTTC, and certainly not in the last decade.

Yes ok ,some of the drivers are not exactly top flight, but it's early days yet. You gotta applaud them for recognising what the customers want and creating a product to meet the demand.

And I think Nelson Picquet Jr will be a future F1 World Champ. He looks sh*t hot to me, even if he does make a few mistakes like his old man. They said Damon Hill was rubbish too...

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2005, 03:42:53 pm »

Most F1 fans over here have never forgiven him for that.  The Glen is the spiritual home of GP in the US, always has been, always will be.
Fax

Fax,

Eh? Surely, most current US F1 fans either weren't born in 81 or were way to young to have an opinion? Or is it that such prejudices are handed down by grumpy fathers to their sons?

IIRC, was not the move from the Glen (on the surface at least) done on the basis of driver safety? There were some good blokes who bought the farm at The Glen over the years.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: