Club Arnage
September 30, 2024, 05:30:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schumacher has a new Playmate  (Read 21546 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2005, 12:17:41 pm »

Sounds like a great read. Any idea who the publsher is please I can't find it on Amazon.

It's next to the white stick Bob.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0753507358/qid=1123668980/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/202-9181238-7839048

Steve East Anglian cobras

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 12:24:05 pm »

Yeh, found it, was searching with Gerry and not Gerald.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 01:00:19 pm »

This is how it used to be done, by the master himself Mr G Villeneuve. The Murray Walker commentary is a bit subdued compared to his later offerings but it was probably done from a studio in London as the Beeb wouldn't pay to let him go abroad. It's a crap quality clip but when did we last see this sort of racing in F1?

http://www.globalserve.net/~trauttf/Gilles/Dijon79.mpeg

* gilles1.jpg (27.85 KB, 600x419 - viewed 296 times.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 01:04:23 pm by A Zarse esq » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
nice_person1
CA Veteran

Audis on rails

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 01:18:12 pm »

One of the finest pieces of racing footage ever.  I particularly love the way GV did not drive down the inside of the straight, almost daring Arnoux to try to out brake the very last of the late breakers !  Cheesy

Probably not possible today with car with no flexibility of handling whatsoever.  Slightest twitch and you have to catch it instantly or you're in the barriers.  Roll Eyes

Bring back slicks and ban all but a single plane front a rear wing.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 01:19:35 pm »

Andy, most excellent what a ding dong, would that have been Rene Arnooo as Murray says driving the Renault?  Turbo cars as well ?

Who knows with the rule changes coming up we could very see that sort of driving again.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2005, 01:23:10 pm »

when did we last see this sort of racing in F1?

Ah the good old days. I doubt very much we will ever see F1 racing as good as this again.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Ballast
CA Veteran

DON'T PANIC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2005, 01:45:20 pm »

Ah the good old days. I doubt very much we will ever see F1 racing as good as this again.

I fear you are right on that score Bob. Perhaps the FIA should take a close look at the aerodynamic profiles of these cars and compare them with todays. Until such time as the aerodynamics of the cars are changed drastically the racing will continue to be no-existant

There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!
Fax
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2005, 02:22:59 pm »

Great clip there Andy, I have that whole race on VHS.
What set the whole race up was the start GV made, rocketing from the second row into the lead and Rene nearly stalling his Renault at the start.  It took Jabouille a long to time to catch and pass Gilles and Rene had to scyth through the field, breaking the lap record over & over again to get back to Gilles.  Caught and passed him with a couple of laps to go but just then Rene's Renault turbo began to suffer from fuel pick-up problems, and we the fans were the ones to benefit.  Rene stayed within striking distance and Gilles on spent tires went for it!
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2005, 06:01:51 pm »

I don't think there are two drivers in F1 now that would not force the other onto the grass in the same situation.

The cars back then where clearly more driveable and gave the driver more options when racing wheel to wheel.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2005, 06:48:35 pm »

I don't think there are two drivers in F1 now that would not force the other onto the grass in the same situation.

The cars back then where clearly more driveable and gave the driver more options when racing wheel to wheel.

Agreed 100%. My bitching about contemporary F1 is not really with the drivers (other than them becoming corporate stooges) but moreover with the highly technical, highly boring machinery. Also the administrators such as Bernie and Max are a disgrace. What in God's name have the Chinese and Turkish races got to do with Grand Prix racing other than marketing exercises? As spectacle and a sport it has suffered greatly.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2005, 07:25:37 pm »

Just thinking about the chinese side of the house, i don't think they have the same smoking advertising restrictions we do in the EU.  Not sure if all the teams are totally ditching their tobacco connections.

Kate Shaw
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2005, 07:51:55 pm »

The James Hunt book is excellent, and a very deep analysis of James that I wonder if he could have done if James were still alive to criticize it (although I suspect he would have approved).  I understand from later analysis that James was manic-depressive, at least in his later years; was that verified, does anyone know?

My favourite James quote of all time was during a race in Monaco when Murray exclaimed that someone was "on fire as he came into the Swimming Pool" and James replied, "Well, that will put him out, then."   Grin

I will start reading the autobiography of Nigel "It's All About Me" Mansell next.

----------------

As for whether and whither F1, I think it now suffers (besides from the Ron Dennis School of RoboSpeak) from the same problem that happened in hockey -- and I believe Sir Jackie Stewart pointed it out in F1, actually: that as the cars have become safer and safer, the drivers have become more dangerous.  Now that they are virtually assured to walk away from any prang, they don't hesitate to ram other cars or force them into the curb, gravel traps, et al.  regardless of consequences.  I remember Eddie Irvine in the Jaguar forcing Bernoldi into the tire wall at a very high rate of speed, and then parking and piling out of his car to run and help pull the tire wall off the Prost and rescue the other driver; he was quite shaken up by the result of his action when he thought he had killed a fellow driver, but clearly he hadn't considered the effect of his action until he saw it.

On the other hand we have the delightful spectacle of Jean Alesi chasing Jarno Trulli through the infield in Montreal -- Trulli running backward because he was afraid to stop and turn around -- with Alesi shouting "I WEEL KEEL YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" after Trulli saw him off, which was a delightful echo of the days when drivers could be told apart without consulting the program.

Fax
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2005, 08:14:27 pm »

Yes Kate, from what I understand James suffered quite severely from depression in his later years.  Decades of boozing, dope smoking and packing his nose can't have done much for his emotional state.  I don't think I could stomach anything written by the Drama Queen Mansell.
That guy makes me want to puke everytime I see him
He wore his welcome out over here so fast it was mind-boggling.  That guy pissed & moaned more than any group of fifteen year girls you've ever met. Tongue
The blame for the conduct of racing drivers today can be laid on one person....Senna!  The FIA let him get away with all his bullshit and the standard of driving has plummeted ever since.
Fax
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2005, 09:42:23 pm »

....a delightful echo of the days when drivers could be told apart without consulting the program.

A wonderful quote Kate.

Fax, Mansell was well known for his wingeing over here too.  I remember when he was the 'guest star driver' at a BTCC event and had a "slight coming together" with Tiff Needell.  Although some of the blame may have been Tiffs, Mansell was equally at fault but made sure he made his point, in no uncertain terms, to Needell.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2005, 01:13:38 am »

Great to see real men driving real cars on a real mans circuit and actually racing .
Even Schumacher squealed like a girl proclaiming how dangerous the 80's ferrari turbo was after having 'driven' one, the f**k*ng poof.

Rusty

The Brethren Rock
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: