Club Arnage
September 30, 2024, 01:16:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schumacher has a new Playmate  (Read 21490 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2005, 01:17:03 am »

True Rusty.  I doubt we'll be seeing old Spoon Face driving a 80's turboed F1 car up the hill at Goodwood in the near future  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 01:50:17 am by Steve Brown » Logged

Steve East Anglian cobras

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2005, 01:24:20 am »

Very true Rusty.  I seem to remeber the tv coverage of that event, if memory serves me, he only did about three laps, bought the car back early and said very interesting but not for me.
Fax
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2005, 05:06:13 am »

No doubt guys, the ground effects and turbo cars were something else.  No traction control, auto gearboxes or any else of that bull-crap.  The traction control was in your right foot!  Steve, agreed about Mansell, you want see a bunch of guys roll their eyes in disgust, mention Mansell's name to some Newman-Haas crewmen who were there when he was.  The guy flat out refused to do any testing (but found plenty of time to play golf), leaving it all to Mario, but would then bitch & complain about everything with the car.  They were glad to see his ass heading out the door.  Never figured him out.  He had it all, was payed millions to do what he loved doing, had a loving wife & family, an adoring nation, but all he ever did was sit around and piss & moan about how horribly he was treated....Just shut the f**k up you twat!
Fax
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2005, 11:05:06 am »

Thanks - Marvellous to watch that clip again remember the race well first time round- made my morning.   

No doubt guys, the ground effects and turbo cars were something else.

They certainly were - F1 now may be "cutting edge" technology stuff, but talk about a completely restrictive formula (which is why they all look and sound much the same).   One of the biggest joys of the turbo era was the sheer variety - where now would you get such a fantastic mix of 4-pot turbos, V8s, V12s and flat 12s all running in the same "formula", in the same race.   The early turbo era days made for bags of interest, knowing that the Renaults were faster, but more fragile, then as they became reliable and fast, more manufacturers switched, until they were just about all running turbos and we had the entertainment of the "boost button" without accurate fuel read outs.   Another of the biggest joys of F1 in the 70s and 80s was watching cars that had been built to a formula that had plenty of room for imagination to be exercised - more and more aerodynamic grip, 6-wheeler Tyrells, twin chassis Lotus, Bernie's "Cooling Fan" Brabham etc etc.   Oh, and drivers who were real people too, with the likes of the classic line from Nelson Picquet who, after a long streak of winning, followed by an equally long streak without a podium, won a race and, before the first question could be fired by the journalists at the post-race press conference he came out with "I am Nelson Picquet - remember me?".   In similar circumstances (and I can't remember who it was) a driver came out with "and I dedicate this victory to me".   Small wonder that my interest in F1 waned a long time ago..........

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2005, 11:10:10 am »

Oh, and if anyone is wondering why the turbo cars were so powerful with a poxy little 4-pot 1500cc block, that was because running the turbos at 4 bar boost gave the volumetric equivalent of a 24-litre engine - that's how you got 1300+bhp out of 1500cc.....no wonder that they grenaded spectacularly when there was a sub-optimal inteface between internal moving components.....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2005, 06:53:37 pm »

where now would you get such a fantastic mix of 4-pot turbos, V8s, V12s and flat 12s all running in the same "formula", in the same race.

Well it's not quite all the same formula but I seem to recall there being a good mix at least one race this year. There were V12, V10, V8, V6, 4-pot turbocharged & flat 6 boxer engines & all on the same track at the same time...I still think the Panoz sounds the best!! Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 06:43:41 pm by chrisbeatty » Logged
Kate Shaw
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2005, 06:34:28 pm »

Great to see real men driving real cars on a real mans circuit and actually racing .
Even Schumacher squealed like a girl proclaiming how dangerous the 80's ferrari turbo was after having 'driven' one, the f**cking poof.

Rusty

I remember seeing that; he drove Patrick Tambay's car and Tambay was there laughing at him and saying "You kids don't know what real racing was like."

The German Fellow also refuses to consider racing at Indianapolis or in a World Rally Car -- "too dangerous!" -- although he did race in the ROC and was man enough to be embarrassed when they disqualified both men who beat him so he could "win".
Fax
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2005, 07:11:29 pm »

I remember that as well.  Patrick had the boost set quite low as I remember because he was afraid that if they took it to its full four bar it would scatter and he'd never be able to afford the rebuild.  No doubt about it, the Ferrari 126 turbos were cars for men not boys.
Fax
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2005, 12:04:28 pm »

Is this possible?

Kimi has signed to join Ferrari and partner Schuey?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4187690.stm

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33865
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 12:06:58 pm by Ferrari Spider » Logged
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2005, 12:40:00 am »

Very nice pic, FS!

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2005, 01:19:15 am »

Removed my post on the grounds of readability and usefulness. It had neither.

I still think the pic I was trying to post had the makings of a caption competition, but I fear good taste will fall by the wayside...and the thread will meander off-topic.  Wink

* Beekay_busy_bee_2.jpg (88.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 426 times.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 11:53:17 am by smokie » Logged
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2005, 12:45:00 pm »

...and the thread will meander off-topic.  Wink

Without a doubt  Wink

Steve East Anglian cobras

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2005, 01:28:15 pm »

...and the thread will meander off-topic.  Wink

Without a doubt  Wink

Speaking of which, a nice view of the river Cuckmere and its many meanders.....

As for Kimi and Shumi swapping seats, it could happen. But as Shumi is getting near his sell by date and it would mean he teamed up with arch enemy JM, I can't see what McLaren would get out of it apart from a load of grief.

* cuckmere.jpg (12.92 KB, 320x225 - viewed 357 times.)

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2005, 02:14:58 pm »

Nordic, the news story is about Kimi going to Ferrari in 2007.  Apparently Kimi has already signed a preliminary agreement with Ferrari in May this year.

Could be interesting, or is just the usual summer silly season Shocked
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2005, 02:36:42 pm »

I thought I read on tele text that they where going to swap, i guess thats old news now!

No smoke without fire, as they say. But it could be a stance to upp his fee

From Kimi's point of view it may make sense. Ferrari have shown that they focus on 1 driver. At present he has to share No1 status with JPM and they (or rather Marlboro) are prepared to pay BIG bucks to the driver.

Could all hinge on how confident one is that Ferrari will have a winning car again by 07.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: