Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 01:17:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Dunstan & Formula BMW  (Read 13257 times)
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2005, 04:06:55 pm »

For those of you that know or meet with Keith Dunstan (TKM271) eldest lad Tom at Le Mans some fantastic news.

Last wednesday whilst praticing and testing a new engine in his KnK kart he was asked if he could get out to Spain to the Formula BMW licence course. So on Sunday Tom is of to Valencia to take his Formula BMW licence - wich will let him have his National B Racing Licence - and have a shot at the scholaship, worth about £ 35,000.

If we can raise enough funds for next year he will be running in the Britsh Formula BMW Championship with we hope Nexus. So the big question is, anyone of you fellow CA's know of any freindly millonaires, or would like to help out.

Just to say as well that Tom's main ambition is not only to race, but to win Le Mans Grin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 04:17:11 pm by Bobblehat » Logged

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 04:13:03 pm »

Congratulations Tom.  I'll buy an extra lottery ticket on Saturday.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 04:18:00 pm »

you, me, both, Steve! Cheesy

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 02:42:54 am »

Has he considered setting up some sort of company?? I believe a few drivers have asked people to invest in their racing careers? (Justin Wilson PLC springs to mind)

Otherwise, if he is REALLY good I know someone who may be interested!!
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 10:57:25 am »

To keep you up to date. Tom is enjoying himself and learning loads. Should have mor info by tonight.

If you would like to see Tom and his brother Micheal in action they will be at Red Lodge Kart Track (just of the A11) on Saturday 6th.

Or if you are around Silverstone on Thursday 4th, he should be testing a Ginetta Junior at about 4pm, on the the Stow track.

JPC I think he is that GOOD...................

Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 08:37:08 pm »

OK more info for those that are following Toms Spanish adventure.

He now has his ARDS (I will have to change my tag, he now has a higher licence than me!)

In his first run he was not the quickest, but only 4 sec of the front runners. Thats not bad when you consider that Tom has only compeated in 4 Kart races and Steve of NEXA was expecting him to be about 10sec off! Also quite of few of Toms fellow students have driven the track and the BMW before. Through the afternoon runs his times came down. They were very very happy with his improvment

We will not know about the scholership shoot out untill middle of next week.

tkm271
CA Veteran

If its got tits or an engine, its going to cost ya

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 09:57:07 pm »

Sorry I've not been able to keep everyone up to date, but Tom has now been selected to go back to Valencia 26/27 October for the "Shootout".

We believe that only 12 have been selected to go back. So I hope no-one minds if I feel a little bit proud for him.

With regards to JP's question about how good he is, I think that's been answered, now. In the August test he was up against European and British kart Champions. For a few of them, this was their second attempt to get on the Scholarship course. Tom's only been karting for four months. The first ime he drove a geared car on a race track was three days before he left for Spain!

I know I sound a bit like a "pushy Dad", I don't mean to. I've always left it to everyone else to tell me how good he is. Now that he's convinced BMW, I think I can begin to accept it.

So, if anyone has got a spare £150 000......... Let's go racing!
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 10:24:50 pm »

Well done to him and the very best of luck with it - and I mean it.   

One thought (which you can take or leave, but it is meant to be helpful) if you are pitching to companies to provide sponsorship, pick ones to approach that have a connection with motorsport - either through technology or lifestyle (think Benetton, Red Bull etc, but on a less global scale).   Modify your pitch to each of the companies you approach as appropriate, and make your pitch based on what they can get out of connection, i.e. what you can do for them - product exposure to the right audience, promo work etc, particulary if there is a local connection as well.   All the best

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
tkm271
CA Veteran

If its got tits or an engine, its going to cost ya

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 10:55:27 pm »

Thanks for that, MG.

I keep hearing the word "Synergy", and I'm convinced that its all about "linking" companies together, but we've got to move quickly. Although the season doesn't start until March 2006, we've got to put our entry in by January. In the meantime, to give Tom a fair chance at the end of October, we need to get him some time in a Formula BMW car between the end of the season, Oct 2nd and when he goes back to Spain on 25th October. The cheapest day's testing so far is £1500!!!

He could do with three or four full days, and I know he'd be well on the pace by then. But that is a mere £6000.

There is little time for beating around the bush. I think I need a Bob Geldolf to go round some of our local companies and use those immortal words, "Give us your F*****g money!"

If you've got any ideas, or potential contacts, I'll be happy to give them my best shot!

Once again, thanks for the advice. I'll put it to good use
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 09:42:47 pm »

No problems - linking the companies together can be difficult, particularly at the changeover between the local/ national/ international levels - what's good for one might not be for the next level up.   Here's a few things to try (or not as appropriate):

Get some articles or two in the sports and/or motor section of your local paper - plus the free paper - you never know who is reading them and it's generally free to you - you know, local lad making good but now needs help etc

Find out who the local movers and shakers in business are in your area - do you know anyone in the local Rotary Club or the like?

Don't cold call on them or on offices. Try going through your local business directory - don't discount any to start with (remember Andrews Heat for Hire) and see what ideas spring to mind - for example, with Formula BMW, your local BMW dealership might be a good starting point.

A bit like a CV for a job, an initial letter needs to catch their attention and want to have a follow-up meeting to find out more - that's when your face-face pitch starrts.   Any approach needs to be individual, tailored to them - remember also that you are looking for sponsorship for something that is wider than local, so don't discount the local branch of a national business chain.

Some businesses may not be able to offer cash, but might be able to offer parts, tyres, free art work, website publicity etc.

Good Hunting,

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 10:48:17 am »

Update time on Tom Dunstan

In the last few weeks Tom has had quite time of it. Pounding a two seater Radical around Sneterton, with Ben Elliot, at the end of the day going faster than his instruter! Plus a few shakedowns in the Cole Racing F BMW in Wales. Were it absoulutly sheeted it down. Again keeping up with a drivers with a lot more experianced than him. Rember till now Tom has only done 6 kart races!

He now out in Valencia about to take part in the F BMW Scholership shootout with 11 other drivers, it will be a tough job, but £35K is the prize for each of the 5 Scholership winners.

I wish him, as I am sure all the rest of CA do, the best of luck. GO FOR IT TOM!!!

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 11:05:12 am »

Good luck Tom go get em

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 11:43:25 am »

Go and get them, good luck.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 11:54:33 am »

Go Tom good luck and get them.  Wink

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 01:10:52 pm »

Knock 'em dead Tom.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: