Club Arnage
September 20, 2024, 04:45:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thanks vq dave  (Read 7386 times)
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2005, 03:02:27 pm »

Short note to say how useful I thought the 'unothescore' service was it helped to update me on the occasions that I was away from the track and confirmed my understanding of the race while I was there.

I think I missed a couple of texts due to the noise etc, (and the fact that I slept for a few hours, but overall I thought it was great). I will definitely subscribe next year should the service be available.

I have to say that getting the updates was particularly useful this year as I felt it pretty frustrating trying to gather any real info from Radio Le Mans. I can't help feeling that RLM is increasingly catering for the website audience. Although they were reporting from the pits, which was great, the information from the track itself was slow and on a number of occasions inaccurate. And their tendency to be constantly distracted, meandering from one subject to another was infuriating.

I have been a great supporter of RLM over the years particularly in the 1980's when they first came on scene, but feel in a way that the more sophisticated it has become, the less relevance it seems to have with the audience at track side I am very sorry to say. Cry

So once again thanks vq dave. Grin

oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 03:48:43 pm »

At last somebody else who appears to be calling to question the value, or otherwise, or Radio Le Mans.  Yes they do have some intersting things to say and people to speak to, but if they say they are about to give a run down of the race order why don't they do it instead going off on some inconsequential ramble about the temperature in their room (or other such nonsense).  When I started coming to the race (in 1978 in case some of you think I am some kind of Le Mans novice) there were TV monitors at every major viewing area showing the race order (by car number by the way, not  current driver) that updated constantly.  Quite frankly it was easier to get accurate information about the race then than it is now listening to RLM.  The coverage frustrated more than it informs.  Bring back the good old days...  Cry
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:24:16 pm »

Thanks Dave, excellent service, hopefull it will be an annual feature of LM.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 10:43:26 pm »

Can't help but think that John Hindhugh(?) is a frustrated dj. Thought Paul Trusswell and the American who i can't remember his name did a great job in the early hours. When John and Chuck come back on it's listen to my personality time.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 12:00:53 am »

Did anyone else have trouble with RLM cutting out?

Or do I just need a better radio?
Spidey
CA Veteran

I'm a spider!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 10:16:10 am »

It wasn't just mine then!!!!!  Embarrassed

- a right royal pain in the arse when its an autoscan (with no display), and you have go round the dial a couple of times to find it again..........mind you, at <£2 from Asda I shouldn't complain
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 09:00:32 pm »

The freebies from Audi UK seemed OK, if a little quiet. Nice bag of goodies though (lanyard and pass holder, Autosport special, radio and probably other stuff I've lost...)
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 10:19:10 pm »

Did anyone else have trouble with RLM cutting out?

Or do I just need a better radio?

I was at Tertre Rouge for the start and was out of radio when a helicopter came by. I don't think you had reception down at Mulsanne corner.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 10:43:48 pm »

I managed to pick up RLM on my steam radio at Arnage and Mulsanne corners although I had to fiddle with the aerial a bit.

Steve East Anglian cobras

monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 10:48:52 pm »

me too, I was able to get reception at both Mulsanne and Arnage but it was not easy and not really worth the effort. Now you mention it Oldtimer I remember those screens too, although only for the first couple of times that I visited. And you are right, they were upto date, easy to stand and didn't allow themselves to constantly wonder off the subject, or start talking about cricket.Yes it would be brilliant if they were re introduced.
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 11:35:44 pm »

Yes to lost signal by all my campraids exept Barry an I. The moral to this  is get a sony something. it works at mulsanne..........

Andy
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 10:31:41 am »

Hey thanks all, sorry i have been a bit busy, and a bit under teh weather, since LM this year so had to keep my head down for work and recovery.

Glad you liked the service, feedback is welcomed always good and bad, we had a big headache formatting the texts, trying to make them infomative and useful, but looks like we might have struck a good balance?

It was intersting, i thought to go back through them after the event and see how the race progressed, or am i just a bit sad?

geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 02:41:45 pm »

So I wasn't the only one who got annoyed with RLM not suppling race info!  I thought the whole idea of RLM was to provide race info to the English speaking fans?  Hotel was well outside of range for portable radio, car one worked to within half a mile!  Otherwise got good reception all around the track.
But it took ages on the way back to the track on Sunday AM to find out what was going on! Too old to stay up all night, so hope they get back on track for next year Huh

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 07:39:33 pm »

Yes thanks VQDave I was grateful for the extra coverage RLM seemed (shall we say on this No Complaints Day) a little more folksy and less motorsey this year. The texts were useful but as an old technophart I had some trouble decoding 'em for a while. Roll Eyes

Finally think I got the hang of it though, if you can, please do it next year too. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

bill

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 11:29:33 pm »

vq dave - will his service be working for 2006? - We all found it very handy during the darkest hours last year

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: