Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 11:15:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please stop these offensive posts  (Read 5124 times)
DavidsDad
CA Veteran

It's too early, switch off the a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:25:16 pm »

Open message to the moderators.

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

I enjoy a laugh like most people, I'd like to think of myself as broadminded too, but I think some of the posts that have appeared over the past couple of weeks are just too offensive.

I used to recommend this website to people, for its tremendous knowledge of the Le Mans race, its helpfulness and camaraderie and yes, also for its humourous content.  But this just is not funny.  Some of the new members' comments are just offensive, and I can't recommend it any longer

OK, I know the fourm is mostly used by adults, and therefore it generally has an adult content, but I can't show my 11 year old lad anything on here any more in case he sees some of the utter rubbish that this new childish minority have introduced.

David's enjoyed seeing some of the cars featured, (the Commer thread!),  the campsites we were hoping to see in June and read of some of your plans for the race this year, all the more so since we had to cancel our trip to the race.  No more though, and I'm afraid if this offensive rubbish continues for very much longer I won't visit it either.  

There are now several threads where contributions have degenerated. Isn't it time this was stopped?

Why can't messages form these contribuors be automatically banned from the forum?  And yes, I realise I'm proposing censorship, that's what moderators do.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 01:41:40 pm »

I think this has already been mention DD but I'd like to add my tuppence worth.

It seems that this problem has occured at the worst possible time with smokie (the only active mod as far as i know) being away at pre-quals, I'm sure when he logs on next the offending posts will be removed.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who understand your concerns, I've been a little disappointed in certain peoples attitudes & behaviour on the forum in the last couple of weeks. Some of it may stem from immaturity, some from not really understanding that the jokes on this forum are not malicious (but may seem it if you're not familiar to the people who post). It has been said before in here that while it may sound funny out loud, humour often doesn't translate very well into written text.

I would hope you'll stick around, it would be a shame to allow one (maybe two?) individuals to spoil your experience of the CA site, as you say you'll find a wealth of information from all of the posters on here & there will be loads of info & pics after the event!!

Hopefully the people behind the post will get the message, remove the posts & leave, whilst the rest of us can carry on...

Keep a little faith in humanity & make sure to meet some of this motley crew at the 'poo bar next year so we can all have a beer & a laugh about this whole sorry episode!! Grin
The Planman
CA Veteran

Fresh Orange Juice isn't fresh without Vodka

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 01:50:25 pm »

I think this has already been mention DD but I'd like to add my tuppence worth.

It seems that this problem has occured at the worst possible time with smokie (the only active mod as far as i know) being away at pre-quals, I'm sure when he logs on next the offending posts will be removed.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who understand your concerns, I've been a little disappointed in certain peoples attitudes & behaviour on the forum in the last couple of weeks. Some of it may stem from immaturity, some from not really understanding that the jokes on this forum are not malicious (but may seem it if you're not familiar to the people who post). It has been said before in here that while it may sound funny out loud, humour often doesn't translate very well into written text.

I would hope you'll stick around, it would be a shame to allow one (maybe two?) individuals to spoil your experience of the CA site, as you say you'll find a wealth of information from all of the posters on here & there will be loads of info & pics after the event!!

Hopefully the people behind the post will get the message, remove the posts & leave, whilst the rest of us can carry on...

Keep a little faith in humanity & make sure to meet some of this motley crew at the 'poo bar next year so we can all have a beer & a laugh about this whole sorry episode!! Grin

DD I'd like to echo what Chris has said.  Whilst this is a bit of banter that has got out of control, CA is by far the best forum on all aspects of Le Mans.  Like most newbies they'll be gone soon.

Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 01:55:07 pm »

I agree that this sort of language does not belong on the site and I think 99.9% of people will also agree.

However there are people on here who have overplayed the teasing of certain individuals beyond a reasonable amount. It is all too easy to make a cheap quip at someones expense, particularly when you know that they will rise to the bait, but how would you feel if everytime you logged on there were a load of posts from people you have never met before taking the p*** out of you.

I think every one can take a few personal attacks (regardless of age) but a relentless onslaught ceases to be funny after a while.

It can be quite intimidating to log onto a forum (perhaps that's why there are so many guests) so let's not bury someone just because they come across a bit cocky.

What I'm basically trying to say is that a lot of people have contributed to the current situation so lets all just leave it now, hopefully the posts will be deleted voluntarily and then we can look forward to the off and drinking beer with friends, new and old.

See you on MB for cold ones and perhaps a counselling session if you're feeling down  Grin

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 01:57:00 pm »

I have to say here to here to DD.

I too have been very upset with the post that have been on as of late, if I see certain name(s) as the last post I tend not to look at that post, wich is a shame as the stuff that has gone before is normaly of intrest.

Would those responsbile -and you know who you are - ether grow up or go away

To the people who are using this form for the 1st time to get info on Le Mans, there is a wealth of info on here, and genuine help is avalible from fellow forum members whom are all Le Mans enthusiasts, you might get a bit of a frindly leg pull, but the offensive and down right rude stuff is from a very small minority (I use this word in both sense).

Neal
CA Veteran

That's put the Halibut amongst the Iguanas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 02:09:13 pm »

Can I just say I agree with you DD, but I do feel Rob has a point. Also I seem to remember that one of the people that we are talking about has very close contacts with someone else who has posted on this site. Maybe he should take a look at what has been going on and take some action
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 02:13:32 pm »

Have i missed something ( not getting time to read all the posts )

If its the thread about choir boys with the priest ??

I shall quickly e-mail Dave Davies / Chris C to delete the thread as its not really right.

Hope that quells the anger ??

Robbo, back to work now. Angry

Take life by the horns and live it.
Lancs Se7en
CA Veteran

I love it sideways

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 02:22:07 pm »

Here here here

I'm sure that the IP log facility can stop posts from those who continue to abuse the good nature of this site. This is a very laid back forum and from what I see most of the posters are mature ish individuals (other than me and I am just a middle aged hooligan) and hence the banter is fantastic.

LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY GENTS

Still excited but now able to control myself with the help of surgical appliances
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 02:22:59 pm by Lancs Se7en » Logged

Does it really only have full throttle
Dan Lowe
CA Veteran

www.24hourlemons.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 02:35:13 pm »

Indeed it's back to the old a minority spoiling it for the many!

Can I suggest that we get some proper threads/posts up in general discussion to push said post(s) off of page 1 asap!

24 hour lemons - Lemons by name, Lemons by nature
Jay (Team Cannonball)
CA Veteran

Guided by a force greater than curry.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 02:42:47 pm »

I heartly agree with everything that has been said on this thread and will echo Bobblehats sentiments towards any guests or new members viewing this forum. This is not the norm.

May'be as the forum membership grows another regular poster should be appointed as a 2nd moderator to ease the pressure on Smokie and to aid in situations like this when he is not available.

Just a suggestion, and in no way meant as a insult to those who already carry out moderation. Smiley
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 02:43:22 pm »

I wholeheartedly echo the sentiments detailed above.

In the 'x' amount of years that this forum has been running (in it's previous and current forms) we have been 'lucky' to have avoided any major trolling / abuse.
Any activity of this nature has been previously quickly expunged by the moderators of this forum.  It is ironic that the only active moderator is currently away from his PC.  The poor chap will have his work cut out when he returns.

Light hearted banter and humour is an everyday part of this forum; as well as serious information, help and comment.
However, when the nature of some threads deteriorates into 'anonymous' inappropriate comment, foul language and childish behaviour the forum becomes valueless.

I have always been a firm believer in being upfront about an individuals identity.  I sign in as 'Steve Brown' as that is, in fact, my name.  I freely make available a number of ways to contact me away from the forum either by a confirmed e-mail address or via MSN.

Generally, those that choose to use an assumed 'name' also freely provide their identity by way of photos, christian names, e-mail addresses and personal contact (pub meets etc).

So, to those who have chosen to stoop to F's and C's and general un-gentlemanly behaviour, I direct you to the EDIT and DELETE icons on your posts.
I suggest you do it now before Smokie returns and does it for you.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 03:27:22 pm »

I hold up my 'umble hands to aiding and abetting allowing the mb etc threads to go awry, I will leave the whole sorry mess alone but I was disappointed by his use of the offensive words.
It all stopped being funny days ago

I have just deleted a whole lot of my own opinionated stuff from this response! As far as I am concerned, no more mb posts or responses, OK?

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 03:28:34 pm »

Here Here

I will openly admit I am one of the people who have teased a certain new poster recently, but I don't think I've said or done anything that deserved the sort of response that has been posted. In fact, I think most of what has been put his way has been self inflicted.

As I think has been said, a lot of people on this forum give a lot of stick (in a friendly way) to lots of others (myself included) but fully epxect to have it thrown back at them as well. If you can't take it, you shouldn't give it! Look at some of the banter between Matt Harper and Andy Zarse.

Although I use the "handle" of JP Chenet, most people know me as Mark, and my "REAL" email address is available for all to see and use. I also admit to creating the character PC McGarry, as a joke that combines with Raoul (who many of us also know who is) The majority of the regulars also know who Felix and Felix's Cat are.

I've dropped an email to MatchlessPat asking him to have a word, so hopefully it might tidy itself up soon.

In the meantime, lets give it a rest!

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 03:43:46 pm »

Thanks you everyone.   Smiley I think we'll lock it there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: