Club Arnage
July 02, 2024, 10:58:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pool Time  (Read 8546 times)
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2005, 10:47:38 pm »

I'm sure I have read about people wanting a pool like the beer mountain guy's on this forum somewhere.

I was in Costco today and they have a big framed pool, with filter kit, cleaning pipes, and ladder to get in and a 3kw heater all for £170 which includes vat.

All I need to work out how I can justify the cost and how I can put it down as equipment needed for my business.  Cool

If you're going through hell, keep going.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 01:02:53 am »

I was in Costco today and they have a big framed pool, with filter kit, cleaning pipes, and ladder to get in and a 3kw heater all for £170 which includes vat.

A 3kW Heater!!!!!!    Shocked

What will they think of next!!!
tink
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 11:52:37 am »

I'm sure I have read about people wanting a pool like the beer mountain guy's on this forum somewhere.

All I need to work out how I can justify the cost and how I can put it down as equipment needed for my business.  Cool

to entertain customers.....?
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 01:00:07 pm »

Surely it can be claimed as "Cleaning Materials"  Cool
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 01:08:05 pm »

We bought one from a french supermarket last year.  About 15 feet across, with pump and filter, but no heating for 80 quid.  We'll buy a cover this year as the local dust gets everywhere

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 03:19:18 pm »

Truck - if you have to buy a cover you could get a solar cover which might heat it too. There's a thread here somewhere, but I think a search on eBay will find them...
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 03:32:34 pm »

hmm, you raise some interesting 'conservation of energy' issues there Smokie. If the sun is shining on the pool anyway, isn't that a more efficient heater than storing the energy in a solar cell and then putting it back into the pool? I suppose if you had a black bottom then things might be different. Very different...
H  

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 11:15:50 pm »

Some great deals at Costco - If you buy an electrical appliance from there, say a washing machine, for the first 12 months you get the normal manufactures guarantee. But after that you get the Costco warranty - which is an equivalent replacement for the life of your cost co Membership i.e. if it packs up in 5 or 10 years time and you are still a member and have the receipt, you can take it back and they will replace it for the same or the same value - effectively a lifetime guarantee! they work on the basis of an average membership duration, no loosing the receipt, and remembering that the deal exists and of course they buy in the biggest bulk volume possible so pay peanuts for them any how - still the best deal on the high street - without poxy insurance.
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 01:03:55 am »

Just checked 3KW heater that’s equivalent of 2 x Kettles!

So a pool 1 meter high by 5meters in diameter,

Questions
1. how much water does that hold ?
2. how long would I have to wait to get the water hot enough to make a cup of tea?
3. how many tea bags would you need?

And lastly
4. do you want sugar with that?

The silly season has started (if it ever finished!)   Grin
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 01:04:48 am by Nopanic » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 12:02:40 pm »

Just checked 3KW heater that’s equivalent of 2 x Kettles!

So a pool 1 meter high by 5meters in diameter,

Questions
1. how much water does that hold ?
2. how long would I have to wait to get the water hot enough to make a cup of tea?
3. how many tea bags would you need?

And lastly
4. do you want sugar with that?

The silly season has started (if it ever finished!)   Grin

Right now lets see.....

1. Assuming the pool is filled to within 100mm of the top that'll be  pi x 2.5 squared x 0.9 = 17.66 cubic metres. (17,660 litres)

2. Assuming a starting temperature of lets say 20 deg C. and pouring the tea at boiling (100 deg C) that will be a rise in temp of 80 deg. C.

It will take a 3Kw element 1 hour to heat 100L of water by 2.58 deg. C, so to get to the required temp it will take 31 hours for 100 litres.

Therefore (assuming the effects of solar energy, bathers bodies and fluids etc + energy and evaporation losses and so on are ignored)  it will take your 3Kw element around 5474 hours to heat the entire pool to the correct temperature.

3. Assuming you have the required time to wait for the pool water to boil and one tea bag is sufficient for 0.25 litres of water you will require 70640 tea bags.

4. No sugar for me thanks........

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 04:36:34 pm »

ISTR that the capacity of the 12' diameter pool Carrefour were selling last year was somewhere around 6000 litres. At least, that's what we calculated on a fag packet in order to add the right amount of chlorine...
rcutler
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 05:20:56 pm »

Smokie the pool has 6100 liters of water in it! I was reading the manual the other day!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 06:05:01 pm »

I was reading the manual the other day!

Oh the exciting things you young chaps get up to!  Wink

(says me as I go out to mow the lawn  Undecided)

Steve East Anglian cobras

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 08:44:39 pm »

hmm, you raise some interesting 'conservation of energy' issues there Smokie. If the sun is shining on the pool anyway, isn't that a more efficient heater than storing the energy in a solar cell and then putting it back into the pool? I suppose if you had a black bottom then things might be different. Very different...
H  

'Tis a solar blanket that Smokie is referring to. This is a relatively thick sheet, the consistency and shape of bubble-wrap. I use one on my pool and it negates the use of the heater during the summer.
It fulfils three functions....
1) Amplifies the heat erergy applied by sunlight quite dramatically (I have to jetwash mine on my driveway, because the heat energy generated would burn my grass)
2) It retains the pool water temp, when the ambient temp drops (at night, for example, where you can lose 5 degrees F per hour, until you hit ambient)
3) Keeps contaminents (leaves, dust, bugs etc.) out of the water.
My pool is 22,000 gallons and my water temp stays constant at around 88 degrees during the summer, without any assistance from my pool heater.
The solar planket needs to be a neat fit around the pool edge and it floats on the surface.
I'd be happy to send one over if needed (don't ask me to bring it with me - it's s bit bulky)

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 01:20:11 am »

show offs!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: