Club Arnage
September 25, 2024, 11:11:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP , Tommy Vance  (Read 25803 times)
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2005, 01:56:35 pm »

Just learned that radio DJ Tommy Vance died yesterday from a stroke.

I grew up listening to this Tommy each week on Radio 1's The Friday Rock show.

Rest In Peace, and rock on Tommy, wherever you are.
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 02:20:05 pm »

Another great voice from my past gone. Learnt all about AC/DC Led Zep, Black Sabbath, with a transistor radio and one of those little ear-peices with the MW fading in and out under the bed sheets on the Friday Rock Show.

Lets Rock!  Cry

The worring thing is, that they say these come in threes..........................

Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 03:21:10 pm »

The worring thing is, that they say these come in threes..........................

john peel, tommy the vance   Huh Huh

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 05:25:33 pm »

Noel f**k*ng Edmonds, with any luck.
I suppose John Peel had some street cred, but Tommy Vance was a proper dick-head. I think he was a ridiculous old fart who thought he was some kind of heavy metal guru - in reality he was totally embarrassing. Not that I would have wished untimely death to have befallen him (Noel F Edmonds is a different matter however), Tommy Vance had as much rock kudos as my Mum.  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 06:38:28 pm »

Steady on Matt or I might have to slap you twice at Sebring (The other being for missing the 500 at Daytona) LOL !

I don't know much about his later years, but back in the 80's , The Friday Rock Show was THE rock radio show. The only one available. He did a damn fine job and was pretty knowledgable and did some real good band interviews.

He was also responsible for introducing me to many of the bands who now take up large amounts of space in my CD drawers.
I even won the odd competition on that show too.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 07:09:42 pm »

...and that's both sides of the Tommy Vance discussion over with nice and early. Thank you.

As it says in the heading, RIP...
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 07:13:18 pm »

I agree Chris, Vance was a good lad. The products of the NWOBHM owe him a great debt.

I listened to the Friday Rock Show as a kid, Peel doing monday thru thursday. I was too young to go to the pub and there was nothing else to do except self abuse. He was knowledgable and personable, though without the dry humour of Peel.

Matt, we all get old and begin to look like parodies of our former selves. Clearly we are all exceedingly glad Edmonds is no longer on air (or at LM for that matter) and a good few other DJ's too are thankfully broadcasting the sound of silence. But I don't really wish Noel was dead. Not actually dead.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 08:52:46 pm »

Alright, alright - not actually dead.....
I don't think the BBC ever got it right, in terms of broadcasting to what was Radio 1 target audience (i.e. me) in the mid 70's and into the early 80's, when I just couldn't hack it anymore.
My rationale?
David "Diddy" Hamilton - c**t
Jimmy Saville - paedo c**t
Tony Blackburn - c**t
Alan Freeman - antipodean c**t, not 'arf
DLT - hairy c**t
Tommy Vance - dead c**t
Noel F Edmonds - c**t
Mike Reed - self-righteous c**t
John Peel - supposedly apathetic (bet he hated punk really) c**t
Steve Wright - kind of amusing for a while, though utterly nausiating arse-kissing, sychophantic 'posse' made him a c**t.
All the above, directed by some old w**k*r, dear, dear Johnny Speight, brought up in the frickin' 40's with absolutely no idea what was relevant to my generation.
I listened to Chris Moyles a bit before I left Britain - sadly accompanied by another bunch of sychophants to laugh at all of his gags - but at least he had some relevant opinions.
Maybe Andy Zarse is right (parody of former selves) - and certainly Radio 1 is not aimed at me anymore - but lets not kid ourselves, they really were a bunch of overpaid, disconnected and self-important c**ts.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 10:22:07 pm »

simon bates

andy peebles

janice long

ann nightingale

john walters

mark n lard

surely these belong in your hall of fame matt

and i was rummaging around in the loft, when i found an original copy of the bible.....which was nice
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 10:33:47 pm »

Get the impression Matt doesn't like Radio 1 ?

Gee if you didn't like it that much, you could have switched it off.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 11:05:08 pm »

And there lies the problem - it was always on at work.
Someone read my posting and phoned me to say it was a trifle offensive - so I will retract the offending statements - they are not c**ts. They are twats.
Same goes for the majority of your list Ron.
I never listened to John Walters much (old enough to be in the pub by then) and Mark & Lard were oright - I met them both once and they were scarily like their radio characters

sceetum
CA Veteran

Team booze n' tabs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 11:21:11 pm »

i have to agree with most of that list, they all loved the sound of their own voices far too much for my liking, and the music left a lot to be desired. i grew up listening to the jam, sex pistols etc and there was not much chance of hearing too much of that on radio one.
mind you, local radio was even worse Cry. kajabloodygoogoo and duran dur sodding ran played by some smashie & nicey dj with a complete lack of talent. i even got that desperate i listened to radio luxembourg on medium wave. now that brings back some memories Grin.

P.S   i did however like mark and lard. at least they tried to play some good music and they did bring some laughs to the afternoon

What have the romans ever done for us?
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 11:34:23 pm »

No need!

Ron Jeremy
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 11:36:30 pm »

And there lies the problem - it was always on at work.
Someone read my posting and phoned me to say it was a trifle offensive - so I will retract the offending statements - they are not c**nts. They are tw**ts.
Same goes for the majority of your list Ron.
I never listened to John Walters much (old enough to be in the pub by then) and Mark & Lard were oright - I met them both once and they were scarily like their radio characters

yep, too true, even mark n lard got boring just like moyles does now

the one whose dad did play away was okay to look at

sarah cox isn't fit to suck mine and the biggest one of all is the ginger minge, who is supposed to be coming back.

twat, c**t its all the same isn't it Huh  

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 12:13:23 am »

Is there anything you lot don't have strong opinions on?

It's a shame a serious thread has to turn into a slagging match.

Censor's blue pen will be out shortly...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 12:13:47 am by smokie » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: