Club Arnage
September 25, 2024, 11:14:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap ferries!  (Read 6095 times)
mgb1975
CA Veteran

I'm a llama, get me out of here!

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2005, 04:04:27 pm »

Just a quick heads-up:

Have gone through the usual trawl looking for a good deal, and was about to give up and pay full whack when Transmanche (http://www.transmancheferries.com) come up with this years offer. Up to a 5 day return, Newhaven to Dieppe for £60 per car.

I used them last year - they're no frills, but have the neccesary bar and restaurant. The only ferry I've heard of that's cheaper is Norfolk Line at £54, but they go to Calais which is a long drive (and an even longer drive back!).
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 05:02:25 pm »

That, mate, is an effin' bargain. Giving serious consideration to cancelling Brittany Ripoffs from Pompey, telling em to keep the £10 deposit and re-booking with this mob. Seeing we're spending the sunday night in Deauville anyhow...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 05:20:18 pm by A Zarse esq » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 06:11:44 pm »

www.speedferries.com is only £50. And it goes to Boulogne (closer). And no, they don't take caravans...  Cry
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 06:15:52 pm »

Norfolk Line actually uses Dunkerque which is even further away.

We're using Speedferries, saving £110 per car over last year which helps to pay for our vast fuel bill   Embarrassed

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgb1975
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 06:42:34 pm »

Aah, I'd forgotten about speedferries - Calais/Boulogne/Dunkerque were all vetoed by the drivers as being too much of a slog on the Monday...
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 09:09:44 pm »

We have also booked with this bunch instead of going via Pompey. Car and trailer for about £145 for a 5 day return (around £300 from Pompey). Out Wednesday, back Monday. For the two wheelers it's £43 instead of £120 plus from Pompey.

Mines a Gin & Tonic
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 10:52:01 pm »

www.speedferries.com is only £50. ........And no, they don't take caravans...  Cry

They take trailers now - don't know where a trailer stops and a 'van starts.  I know of someone just booked car + Trailer (total length 7m) for 132 euros return.  There is talk of them taking 'vans, but I have no details.

DB

Team Delboy Racing
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 01:23:27 am »

My source talls me that Transmanche are being investigated by the MCA ( water police ) for running aground on too many occasions.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 11:07:22 am »

And the buggers cancelled the thursday morning ferry last year meaning we didn't get in to Le Mans till 11.30pm!
The most annoying thing was the the ferry that should have been in was still at dieppe, but the next ferry was anchored off Newhaven, and they wouldn't bring it in.
If you wan't a cheaper ferry try the ferry club
http://www.travel-market.co.uk/html_flash/index.html
They give a discount on normal ferries. Portsmouth Caen £252. Thought we would try it this year as we normally go Transmanche.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mgb1975
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 01:28:20 pm »

My source talls me that Transmanche are being investigated by the MCA ( water police ) for running aground on too many occasions.

Grin All adds to the excitement!

Did a quick search just out of interest, and I think your source may be a little out of date - the grounding was in Feb 2002, and the MCA's report recommedations were all the the Port authority rather than the ferry operator (although they weren't too happy that there was no "black box" on board!).

The full report's here:

http://www.maib.dft.gov.uk/sites/maib/cms_resources/dft_masafety_504273.pdf

I don't think I'm going to loose any sleep over it. Cancelling the ferries is much more of a concern though! For £15/head return I think I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Ferry club sounds interesting Rhino, thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: