Club Arnage
September 25, 2024, 05:21:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP IMPORTING CARS FROM CANADA!!  (Read 6185 times)
Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2005, 04:13:14 pm »

I know there are a few people who have american cars etc on here and wonder if they could give me any advice on importing a car from canada.

I need to know really about shipping etc and any paperwork needed etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated thankyou.

Bring on the low flyers
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 08:45:51 pm »

Chris.

E-Mail the chef. He works in these circles ( shipping / freight and paperwork) and maybe able to help

chef@selfpreservationsociety.net

Take life by the horns and live it.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 07:27:15 am »

Hi Chris,
             Do you have one picked out already? Are you coming for a test drive?
"It's 40 below,but I don't give a F uck.
Got a heater in the truck... and I'm off to the Rodeo"
Canada Phil
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 10:41:33 am »

Phil
     Are you anywhere near Vancouver or Whistler ? I will be there for 10 days in early March. If you are maybe we could have a beer or four

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 12:46:46 pm »

Thanks robbowill do.

Phil allready have the car bought and paid for and has been used by my mum when she goes over but can't store it any more soit'seither sell it or bring it over here only 2 years old. So trting to get soideaof cost to bring back.

Anyway I too will be in calgary and then vancouver in april can't remember where you are but heyif you are around I'm sure a beer would be in order.

Bring on the low flyers
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 01:54:02 am »

Hi Chris & Bob,
                      No where near Cowtown or the Wet Coast. I live near Toronto probably closer to England than British Columbia. I take it Whistler for the Skiing/ snowboarding? Sorry I have no contacts left in that end of the country. March is Sebring and Florida for me Grin
If the car is in Vancouver. Driving to Halifax would be a great way to spend a week or two. I recommend May to October as a good time of year to see the sights.
Canada Phil

Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 10:39:27 am »

Still seeking any help with shipping costs or advice on who to contact about such things.

I've got all the dvla bullshit etc but need to get the car first please help.

Bring on the low flyers
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 01:26:08 pm »

I tried Google. 1st one up was this
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/
Good luck!
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 09:01:14 pm »

It's actually quite straightforward. The easiest way to import the car is to put it in a 20' shipping container (SeaCan). For UK the car needs to be delivered to either Toronto or Montreal. There are a number of shippers and freight forwarding companies that can do this for you. I recommend First Air Ltd., who also do surface shipping. I'll forward details if you are interested (incidentally First Air ship all the ALMS cars over to the European races and back).
The freight costs will be around $2200 Canadian - I presume the car is worth it - because you are going to have some additional costs when it is landed. They include import duty (on the freight costs), car tax (based on it's value, engine size and fuel consumption) DOT type approval and PVA test and documentation. Depending on the type of car, there will be some lighting and emmissions modifications to take care of prior to then forking out to the DVLA for all the UK paperwork to be raised. I helped a friend import a 2000 Corvette from Florida. The whole deal (not including the cost of the car, which valued at GBP26,000) ended up costing him around 5K.  
As long as the numbers stack-up, then that's all that is required.
I am a self-confessed American car nut so I'd say go for it - on the assumption that you can't put your hands on a similar car that is already in UK, for similar money to what this exercise will cost you.
Let me know if you need First Air's details - good luck.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: