Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 08:26:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time going to LM - need advice  (Read 9849 times)
utzelu
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2005, 01:38:52 pm »

hi all,
i'm new on this board, even though i have been watching the discussions for a few months.
i'm planning to go to LM this year, together with my wife. my plans are to arrive at LM on the day of the race and leave right after the race is over, next day. we don't want to book for camping or hotel, but we'd like to sleep in the car. do you guys know if that's allowed and if yes what parking spot should I go for?
also, since we're going to visit Paris for few days, i was thinking to drive to LM from Paris, avoiding highways, and using national routes. do you think this is a good idea?

any advice regarding this, is welcome.

thanks,
Dan
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 01:59:39 pm »

Welcome to CA. You have come to the right place for advice. Sleeping in your car is no problem I did this a few years ago and used parking rouge opposite the main gate. This carpark is also quite handy for a quick getaway after the race. Do you think it is wise to take your wife I think you are setting a dangerous precident there.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 03:52:37 pm »

Dan, I suggest you obtain, via the ACO or one of the ticketing agents, a parking permit as the local gendarmes don't take to kindly to people parking on the verges (although the French seem to get away with it!)

The main road from Paris is mostly motorway but I'm sure with a bit of map research you could pick a pleasant quiet route.

We keep off the motorway down from Calais and use the 'old' route national running parallel.

Welcome onboard  Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 03:53:03 pm by Steve Brown » Logged

Steve East Anglian cobras

hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 04:23:02 pm »

That's true, you need at least a parking permit. You can get that at the gate. If you arrive early on saturday (before 10:00) there're usually still plenty of parking lots available for those who don't camp. I once parked on the inside of Tertre Rouge which was handy for the Stella bar but fricking loud. The parking spot at the Mulsanne corner is good if you really want to sleep. My favorite is the parking lot at the Hypodrome because it's not to far away from the saturday evening fun (ten minute walk to the poo bar).
I once accidently went from Paris to LM on B roads. I wouldn't do it again because it takes too much time.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 11:28:08 am »

we don't want to book for camping or hotel, but we'd like to sleep in the car.
Hmmm, why would you want to sleep? As an LM Virgin, I would suggest that you get lots of shuteye before arrival, and lots after, but keep going through the night to get the maximum enjoyment to sustain you for the next 12 months until next LM.

As has already been said, it is pretty much a straight motorway route down from Paris, and is probably the best thing to do from there. But what about your return afterwards? Are you going back to Paris, or one of the Channel Ports? There are lots of options for these routes, but I am sure that somebody here will be able to give you advice for the one you need.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
utzelu
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 08:12:02 pm »

thans a lot guys for your advice and welcome.
actually we're going to spend around 1 week of vacation in France, mainly in Paris (this will answer the question regarding the wife Grin). this was planned already. i just set the period for the vacation so we can attend LM also.
we're planning to start to LM on early Saturday morning, from Paris. i don't want to take on the motorway as i find them pretty boring. since i enjoy driving, i thought taking a national route would be more interesting, as it will pass through villages (i hope), and it's a chance to see other parts of France.
as for sleeping, Mr. Invisible is right, i should enjoy all 24h of the race and the atmosphere, but who knows...just in case we need to shut an eye for a few hours...it's good to have a place.
regarding the parking place, i prefer to be as close as possible to the track and any other good places around, to see. and if it has access to some facilities (WC/water) it's even better.
after the race, we're planning to drive to other places around France (we're not decided yet where), for 2-3 days and then back to Paris airport, to get the plane to Cyprus (i'm from Cyprus BTW).

regards,
dan
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 11:52:30 pm »

Be prepared to be stuck in a traffic jam. You could be in for a long wait.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 03:06:51 am »

Yeah, whatever time you plan to leave, leave a couple of hours earlier!

Wasn't too bad in 2004 though (at about 10pm race  morning, in a coach).

mdh-photography.co.uk
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 09:19:21 am »

GO for parking Rouge. It's the most convient for the facilities in The Village.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 10:44:54 pm »

(at about 10pm race  morning, in a coach).

Just realised what I said there... it was late though, didn't get home from work till 2am in the afternoon...

mdh-photography.co.uk
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 01:22:37 am »

Good one MikeH Roll Eyes Does anyone really know what time it is Huh
Canada Phil
Zulu +5
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 12:16:02 am »

Our first time Nick and I threw up our tent on the grass verge at Antares/ Parking Vert. No-one asked us for any extra cash and we arrived about 2 o'clock on the Saturday afternoon, in the slow queue (frantically putting the Midget's hood up as we slowly trogged down the lane to tetre rouge corner) in the rainstorm. The Houx Annexe attendants let us into HA but we couldn't find anywhere to park that wasn't inside some other buggers tent so we went into Antares!

Last year we enjoyed a better stay on HA...

SO you could just buy Parking Vert, I think there is an extra charge for tents if the attendants see you camping.

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
utzelu
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 01:48:45 pm »

thanks all for the advice.
do i need a parking permit for Parking Rouge? if so i will get from the gate when i'll arrive. i'm planning to leave Paris at 4:00 AM.
what about the admission tickets? can i get them from the gates, or i need to order them in advance, from ACO?
thanks,
dan
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 02:22:37 pm »

No need to order, both available on the gate on the day

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
SpriteII
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 09:25:06 pm »

Welcome to the board and to the LM experience.

I sleep in the car most years with hotel about an hour away on Friday and Sunday.

You can save yourself some hassle with a reserved parking permit, the ACO still have them in Expo, up near the Museum.

Beware, cars get very cold at night even during good weather so pack plenty of warming clothing (including some thick socks) perhaps even a couple of those silvery blankets (we chuck sleeping bags in the car but that's probably not practical with you flying).

Even arriving in Le Mans mid morning you'll probably queue for an hour or more to get to the parking.

Unless you are really into rugby (or have a grandstand seat) then don't expect to watch the start or finish from the pit straight.

We (My girlfriend comes these days, in fact she's more of a petrol head than me so don't let the stag party faction get to you) watched the start and finish from the new complex after the Dunlop chicane last year, plenty of space.

Have a great time.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: