Club Arnage
July 05, 2024, 10:58:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TRACK DAY FOR CAers - TOO GOOD TO MISS  (Read 44829 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2005, 09:18:50 pm »

Right guys and gals – here is an early heads up on an event that would be foolish to miss.   As most of you know, I run my MGA in a tolerably spirited fashion on the annual pilgrimage to Le Mans and at other venues.   I also used to organise an annual rally for the MG Car Club, where we used the main runway at a couple of RAF airfields as part of the event.   I am now stationed at RAF Marham (near Kings Lynn in Norfolk) and have the go ahead to organise a motoring event or two there, with a view to raising funds for some of the good and worthy causes that Marham supports.  

It would be an ideal venue for a track day. Grin Grin  The airfield's main runway is one and a half miles long and over 75 metres wide - dead straight, smooth tarmac - enormous fun driving it and plenty of distance to not only achieve terminal velocity, but to hold it there for as long as the sphincter factor allows as the end of the runway looms! Grin Grin   The aircraft taxiway, which connects the two ends of the runway, is a similar width and surface, and provides a further two and a half miles of uninterrupted tarmac, providing a proper circuit of 4 miles in all. Grin Grin   As a whole, the shape is roughly triangular, but with the width of the runway and taxiway there is ample scope to create everything from sweeping curves to chicanes.        

As it is an operational airfield, Marham cannot be used during a weekday.   However at the weekend, exclusive use of the runway and taxiway is the ticket.   The event could be run on a Saturday from, say, 1000 until 1600, or on a Sunday, with sessions of around 30 minutes to cater for different experience levels.   Alternatively, if there was enough interest, it could be run over both days of the same weekend.   In addition, all the necessary facilities, such as toilets, catering, drinks, marshalling and medical cover to support an event would be available.   There are also a couple of other possibilities, with the Station’s kart club opening its doors to visitors (shades of Karting Nord..…), and the chance to visit some of the Station’s aircraft facilities as part of the event.   The event would be organised and run properly, with appropriate public liability cover for participants.

I have interest from the Ferrari Owners Club, the TVR Owners Club and the MG Car Club, but I know that there is a whole load of interesting machinery out there belonging to CA members – and it would be wholly wrong of me not to offer the opportunity to fellow members to gather together and exercise our steeds, classic or modern, in the way that was intended when they were built.

I am sure that an outstanding track day/weekend could be provided, probably for as little as £70 per car or less – incredibly good value when you compare that to commercial track day costs.   I envisage everyone getting a good chunk of the time available – preferably as much as they want and the machinery will stand, but that will depend on how many cars there are in total.   No money needed yet, but what I really need to know now before I commit my time/effort, proceed with any further planning/organising, and provide more detail for the event is quite simply how many CA’ers would be sufficiently interested to go beyond the “great idea” response and actually participate?   Likely timing of the event would be a weekend in September this year, so it is well after Le Mans and summer holidays, and sufficiently good value not to attract any approbation from ‘er indoors.

Please post responses as part of this thread, but please keep the posts on topic and relatively brief at this stage.   Naturally, I am happy to answer questions about the event itself on this thread, but Smokie will be moderating this one so that we don’t have to pick through loads of posts exchanging thoughts/humour etc on the subject – of course the forum wouldn’t be the same without that, so we would be grateful if you wish to exchange thoughts indirectly related to the subject, then please start another thread to provide the entertainment.   All the best for now,

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 10:54:20 am »

Mark, as previously discussed, my East Anglian Cobra Le Mans contingent would be very interested in this.

Steve East Anglian cobras

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 11:44:33 am »

Hi Mark, I'd be interested to hear more. Will there be a presence from the Caravanners Club?
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 01:10:26 pm »

Bobblehat Racing would be up for that too

Auto-Culture
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 05:33:44 pm »

I'm in, and so are about 15 of my mates too..........any camping available on the site?
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 06:35:32 pm »

Any rules ?

Can i take my motor bike ??

Take life by the horns and live it.
DavidsDad
CA Veteran

It's too early, switch off the a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 11:38:31 pm »

Do you plan to restrict it to participants only, or open it up for specatators too?  Sounds like a great idea.  Will there be camping facilities, or will rooms in the barracks be available for rent?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 03:37:39 pm by DavidsDad » Logged

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
keithcuda
CA Veteran

Mopar or NO Car

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 12:13:23 am »

I'm up for bringing my 1972 Plymouth Cuda over from Jersey, i might know a few more people with similar cars up for something different(as opposed to drag racing that is). Hey but could it be possible to set a 1/4 mile drag strip too, for part of the day, i'd like to see how a ferrari or porche would be like going up against a 33 year old car.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 12:25:46 am »

Do you plan to restrict it to particants only, or open it up for specatators too?  Sounds like a great idea.

Mark will be along with an answer soon, but CA isn't especially exclusive so I'm sure that priovision can be made for specatators only! I don't have any fancy hardware to try out but I will be there. for one!
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 01:31:32 pm »

Looks like we defiantely need a friendly campsite nearby!!!!  Could be busy!!

I quite fancy giving the 540 a blat, and I'm sure a couple of our group will bring thier more exciting kit along (Morgan Plus 8, Mazda RX8, E-Type Jag, Honda NSX)
bird
CA Veteran

neeeeeeeow!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 02:04:15 pm »

Would be most interested in coming along to watch, as my pristine motor vehicle (cough) is currently acting as a large paperweight, and until I extract my digit from my rectum it will remain so.

A ferrari can't run on glue
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 02:38:52 pm »

Interest from here too. As I am likely to replace the trusty Impreza with something else interesting in the next couple of months it would be an ideal opportunity to explore my new steeds' capabilities.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 08:37:24 pm »

Many thanks for the interest so far - in answer to the questions posed so far:

1)   Not sure that the Caravan Club will be represented…..
2)   For camping, it may be possible on the site itself, but if not, then I will certainly sort out somewhere local
3)   Motor bikes – almost certainly, as I fully expect there will be plenty of interested bikers from RAF Marham, so you won’t be on your own!
4)   Spectators – yes, but as with participants I will need full name/address/vehicle details of who is coming for access to the site.
5)   Barracks accommodation on the site is (unfortunately) very unlikely – for the foreseeable future all our rooms are full/allocated just with personnel at Marham
6)   Quarter mile strip – should be able to manage that as part of the proceedings.   We have a mobile speed trap we can use that should be able to give a terminal speed read-out, and I am sure we can source some timing gear from somewhere

Hope that answers them adequately.   I’m aiming to leave until about the end of January before counting up the interest expressed so that I know how many places I can offer elsewhere (if any) – so for any that have read the thread and are pondering before posting, please don’t leave it too long to ponder - if interest exceeds capacity, to be fair I will aim to allocate spaces on a first come first served basis in line with the order of posting on this thread.  

Take care all and keep the interest bubbling!  All the best for now,

Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 11:00:36 pm »

Mark, sounds fun, be even better if I manage to get the Chim by then, otherwise the MG will still be a good crack!
Put us on the list!!
Cheers
Ian
Dan Lowe
CA Veteran

www.24hourlemons.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 12:48:49 pm »

I would be very interested in this  Grin.  Would it be ok to open it up to the FTO owners club? or are we quite high on numbers as it is?

24 hour lemons - Lemons by name, Lemons by nature
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: