Club Arnage
June 23, 2024, 05:05:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DBR9  (Read 10883 times)
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 01:36:53 pm »

Don't think we should expect too much from the Aston this year. As with other manufacturers who have raced in green livery, the first year back is expected to be a bit of a shake down, with 2006 being the target year for results. I would love to see success this year, but expecting this may be too optomistic, considering the well drilled oposition (Corve' and 'rarri).
Aston have stated that they have experienced some reliability problems during test at Estoril already, not what you want in a 24 or indeed 12 hour race !
However, there is still plenty of time left before the season kicks off for real, and I for 1 would love to see some success for the DB9R.
Good old sister in law has managed to get herself a job at Aston for the season (Veloqx last year, Bentley the previous years), so another pit and garage visit on race day looks good. Grin

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 02:07:18 pm »

Good old sister in law has managed to get herself a job at Aston for the season (Veloqx last year, Bentley the previous years), so another pit and garage visit on race day looks good. Grin

What does she do?Huh  Have they got any more jobs???!!!  Wink
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 03:51:20 pm »

she manages the catering and hospitality.
I've already tried the "any jobs going" approach - didn't work !

MikeH
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2005, 03:57:42 pm »

Regarding reliability, at Snetterton it broke down after a handful of laps, although that was the first test, and from what I overheard some of the parts weren't even ready.

mdh-photography.co.uk
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 04:05:21 pm »

Absolutely right MikeH, I was refering to Estoril testing, which has taken place after Snetterton. All mechanical parts were race spec' at Estoril, as you might hope with only 10 or so weeks until Sebring.

Fax
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 06:26:08 pm »

Sebring will be a good shakedown for the car (literally!)
Audi, BMW and Bentley all showed that the 12 Hours will reveal any hidden gremlins that testing won't.  The cars have to be properly taken into race conditions.  The circuts are poles apart on setup but if something's going to fail at LeMans, it will break at Sebring as well.
John
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2005, 07:20:39 pm »

she manages the catering and hospitality.
I've already tried the "any jobs going" approach - didn't work !
If we slipped her a few notes, can she smuggle out a few team shirts for us to wear at Sebring !
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 06:19:41 am »

Hi Nobby,
               Don't dispair  just yet. The Corvette is a totally new car too. A Fair contest.
Canada Phil
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2005, 10:17:37 am »

Chris - as yet, there are no shirts (I think for this very reason !). If they are distributed before the team departs, many "get forgotten" and have to be replaced.

Phil - you're so right; it'll be an interesting contest for certain.

Shame I won't be in Sebring to see it, but eager anticipation awaits your post race report.

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2005, 12:09:56 am »

Hi Nobby,
               Don't dispair  just yet. The Corvette is a totally new car too. A Fair contest.
Canada Phil

Is that right Phil? I thought mechanically, it was a C5R.... with a sexy new overcoat

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 04:59:53 am »

Hi Matt,
            I read this on the web so it must be so Roll Eyes
"the Corvette C6.R starts from production roots: the same hydroformed frame rails that roll down the assembly line at the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Ky., are sourced for the structure of the race car. With the new C6 production model measuring shorter in overall length (but with a longer wheelbase), race car engineers faced a new set of numbers in which to achieve their goals"
Longer wheel base and narrower track difficult to do on the old chassis too.
Canada Phil
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2005, 03:06:32 pm »

The C5/6 platform construction utilises the same process - but as you state, is a different shape. Hydroforming (bending tubular aluminium structures that are filled with water to stop them kinking) has made the 'chassis' incredibly rigid - far more so than was ever achieved with C4 and in the race car, stiffer even than the 550/575 racer.
The C6R is shorter, has a slightly increased wheelbase and is also wider than the C5.
My understanding is that the ZLT1 7.0 litre motor, transmission, cooling, suspension, brakes, steering and fuel delivery systems all carry over from the C5R - which is not great news for GTS competition.
The car as tested at Road America - is lighter than it's predecessor too.
There is a public test/shakedown at Sebring weekend after next. Corvette Club of America members get (chaperoned) garage access, so I'll report back on my findings. My understanding is that Pratt & Miller are not too phased by the DBR9 at this point in proceedings.....

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fax
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2005, 09:54:17 pm »

Here's a link (I hope) to the ALMS site with the annoucement of the Aston Martin driver line-up.
Fax
http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?NewsID=814
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2005, 10:05:01 pm »

Sebring, FL- Aston Martin Racing has confirmed an international driver line-up for the 2005 season, which begins with the American Le Mans Series Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring in March and includes the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The six drivers introduced today were: David Brabham (Australia), Tomas Enge (Czech Republic), Peter Kox (Netherlands), Pedro Lamy (Portugal), Stephane Ortelli (France) and Darren Turner (UK). This line-up of experienced sports car drivers will share driving duties in the team'...
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2005, 10:06:28 pm »

Ok, some names on there that I hadn't imagined. I assume that Sebring and Le Mans don't clash with any IRL events then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: