Club Arnage
June 23, 2024, 09:39:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now That's Acceleration...  (Read 14128 times)
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2004, 07:03:04 pm »

I lifted this, verbatim, from a US forum that I use - no relevance to Le Mans, but some interesting stats. Should appeal to Steve Brown, if nobody else...

One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500. Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 gallon of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced. A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger. With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle. At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F. Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases. Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder. Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow. If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's. Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence. Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm.

The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated US $1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta). Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That, folks, is acceleration!

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 07:09:53 pm »

That last bit...about the 200mph etc...scary!

I've never seen live drag racing, I think I ought to try it. When does the "season" start? And where's best? (...in the UK...)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 07:30:32 pm »

Sorry but... FU CK!!!! Now that's motoring!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 09:02:17 pm »

Thanks Matt, you've just made me all warm inside.

Time for a bottle of Adnams Broadside and a night infront of the TV with some Drag Racing videos.  Grin

Smokie - I knew you'd come round to my way of thinking.  The first big meet at Santa Pod is over the Easter weekend - more news later.
Myself and Andy 3 cobras will be there.

Steve East Anglian cobras

vwgtifan
CA Veteran

Sweet home, Chicago

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 09:48:03 pm »

Great info on the dragsters. Living close to the RT 66 raceway near Chicago, nothing is better than seeing those things rip at night. 6-8 foot exhaust flames going down the track, and a musical mix of a bass note that makes junk of most pacemakers and supercharger whine that shatters glass. Oh, yeah...you can't imagine how fast they are until you see it.

Life is too short for dull cars, cheap beer, and ugly women.
Fax
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 10:09:59 pm »

Hey Smoke,
The NHRA Gatornationals will be taking place while your over here for Sebring, March 17-20 in Gainsville, Florida.  Perhaps you could catch both but I think Gainsville is hell of a long way from Sebring.
I've Indianapolis Raceway Park and National Trails Dragway both less than two hours away.  Been to National Trails but haven't caught the NHRA guys at IRP yet.
Fax
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 09:58:39 am »

Awesome facts, but in typical American style, those dragsters don't corner very well!!  Shocked Grin Cheesy
Simes
CA Veteran

194.7bhp mmmm..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 10:09:57 am »

Awesome facts, but in typical American style, those dragsters don't corner very well!!  Shocked Grin Cheesy

My thoughts too!  Grin

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 10:53:12 am »

But neither does the 747 as noted above!

Thrust SSC (capable of 763 mph) did not corner at all and was only designed for correction steering to keep it in a (reasonably) straight line.

At 300 mph or 700 mph, cornering will be the last of your thoughts.  Preventing a fiery crash and burn will be your biggest concern.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 08:47:18 pm »

My thoughts too!  Grin

Sigh....
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 10:05:53 am »

Time for a bottle of Adnams Broadside and a night infront of the TV with some Drag Racing videos.  Grin

Smokie - I knew you'd come round to my way of thinking.  The first big meet at Santa Pod is over the Easter weekend - more news later.

Do they have a camp site??

Could be an ideal time for a pre Le Mans briefing!!  Grin
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 02:30:52 pm »

Do they have a camp site??

Could be an ideal time for a pre Le Mans briefing!!  Grin

Now that would be a crack!
Also make us appreciate the sanitary facilities of LM.
Took Brad to Santa Pod a couple of years ago, used to go in the 70's when I was a teenager - absolutely awesome - fuelers so dam noisy they make your eye balls vibrate.
The Prostockers trying to twist their chassis up like a Christmas cracker and launching off the line with one front wheel about a foot in the air!
Only problem with is Easter meet is the probability of rain - it don’t mix well with so much grunt!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 02:33:24 pm by IRW » Logged
Steve TTTD
CA Veteran

No they didn't build 'em like that.....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 02:38:03 pm »

If you've never seen T/F before I'd suggest the Main Even in May....
8 car fields and good weather....

TTTD will be there...

TeamTickleTheDragon
You Buy It, We'll Race It
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 08:22:40 pm »

WOW

I thought F1 cars were quick.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 09:45:34 pm »

WOW

I thought F1 cars were quick.

It's cool isn't it! However - did you see a video (may have done the rounds on here) that featured a Fiat Uno, a Ferrari 360 and a Ferrari F1 car. I think it was shot at San Marino. Anyway, the Fiat sets off from the grid on a spirited lap. When it's about halway round, the 360 sets off after it. Meanwhile the F1 driver's still putting his helmet and gloves on.
Needless to say, the F1 car finally leaves, at around the same time the 360 catches the Uno and end's up blasting past the 360 before the Modena completes a lap.
It's a very graphic illustration of just how freaking fast those pesky F1 buggies are, when compared to even the most exotic road cars.
No doubt, someone will post a link. I would - if I had the faintest idea how to!

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: